Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#48543 - 02/14/02 04:07 PM Ruby's or Coconuts???
missgompers Offline
I recently posted a message saying that my boyfriend and I are going to back in AC this summer. Yeah! And we can't decide where to stay. We stayed at Coconuts last time and really liked it. But we keep hearing good things about Ruby's - basically it is cheaper than Coconuts and closer to town. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows - is it worth the extra money and extra stroll south for Coconuts. Or is Ruby's just as nice and maybe more interesting? We would be getting ac rooms. Several of the guide books list Coconuts as luxury and Ruby's as budget. Any thoughts or experiences?

#48544 - 02/14/02 07:40 PM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Coconuts and Ruby's are definitely different classes of accommodations. I wouldn't call Coconuts luxury, but it is quite a bit more upscale than Ruby's. In-season Coconuts is a little less than twice the cost of Ruby's, but off-season the difference is less. Even the newer A/C rooms at Ruby's are pretty basic. Just depends on what you want, I guess.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#48545 - 02/14/02 08:31 PM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
Debbie Offline
Given a choice between the two, definately go with Coconuts. We stayed there and had a wonderful time. The breakfast downstairs was very convenient, and so was the bar on the beach. My only complaint was that there was still some debris in the water from the hurricane, and the barge stirred up the water so you couldn't see what you were stepping on. BUT.... If you're looking for nice, quality, good location, pool, condo, at a FANTASTIC price, try the Seven Seas. They were running a pretty awesome special last summer when we went, couldn't be beat. I noticed they still had some really good prices. Go to the top and click on accomodations. Check it out. We were VERY satisfied with what we got for the price.

#48546 - 02/16/02 10:54 AM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
dwhite Offline
Stay at RUBY,S!
Get room 25 at the top of the stairs. It looks out over the water and the coffee and breakfast is at the bottom of the stairs every morning. Besides, a room is a room, and if you are going to spend all of your time in the room then be concerned. The people at Ruby's treated us like family and we enjoyed every minute of our stay so don't worry about the "budget" crap and just enjoy your time on the Caye. Say hi to the dog that sleeps on the open lounger on the beach for me. Comin back soon!

#48547 - 02/16/02 11:41 AM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
govikes Offline
Ruby's, Ruby's, Ruby's. If you really want to get the feel of SP and feel like a regular that's where to stay. Yes, it's very basic, but it's a great place to hang out on the decks at any time and watch/meet locals and other visitors! But--you also need to make sure you go to Coconuts bar to see Margie and Ada for a drink or two!

#48548 - 02/16/02 01:15 PM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
beachluvr Offline
think I've already replied to you before about my stay at Ruby's...I too, had room 25, which is probably the best (I also had room 24 on the bottom floor which is nice because its balcony steps right off onto the sand) room 25 is nice because its balcony is on the corner, so larger, better view

i agree that if the room is important, go elsewhere..there is really not much in the room at Ruby's but the bed & bathroom, couple end tables & lamp...that was enough for me both w/a friend the first time (gone most of the time) & by myself the last time...guess if i was gonna be there w/my hubby, I might care more about the luxury of the room (might spend more time there, lol)

the real experience is outside the room, imho, and if you want lodging extras, its simple...you pay for them...if you just want a clean, comfortable place to rest & wash up, don't pay extra...like Lan said, it just depends on what you want, really

#48549 - 02/16/02 05:23 PM Re: Ruby's or Coconuts???
trina Offline
All I can say is "Rubys Rubys".....we've been all over the world, literally...never had a better time or met better people.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.