Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485647 02/10/14 03:45 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Yesterday I posted some information regarding a burglary that had occurred 5 miles north of town.
The purpose of that post was to make people aware, all interested parties, owners, visitors here already, and visitors on the way, that a very real threat and problem exists on AC.
Last time I looked the post had 180 views with no response, in view of this I think the post may have achieved some of its aim.
Today I see that the post has been removed. I am assuming that the reason for this is that moderators of this board view my post as unpalatable with the possibility of having a negative effect to potential visitors.
Whilst I understand that this might be the case, are we therefore saying that it is just better to ignore these incidents of crime, bury our heads in the sand, if we don't read about them they don't exist.
I understand the retort of people that would say AC is no different to anywhere, and that basic common sense and security measures should be taken the same as
anywhere else. I agree with that sentiment, there is an element of truth to it, but my own experience also tells me that when I am in my beautiful place, with, mostly, beautiful people, and glorious weather, my guard goes down. Surrounded by all of this utopia in paradise I can't quite somehow believe that my property or possessions will be violated. Of course the opposite is true, the reality is that because of this false sense of security I am making it easy for those who want to prey on my naivety and take advantage.
Surely in the interest of honesty and openness it would be better to acknowledge that there is a problem and warn people that it exists and warn them to be even more vigilant because of it's existence.
Aside from all this, is there anyone reading this now that would not want to know information about a destination they were either visiting or planning to visit if it were to affect the way that they dealt with their personal possessions.
Clearly the advice for anyone on AC with tablets, phones, cameras or cash should be, keep it in sight, lock it up, hide it or risk having it stolen. Some might think, that is stating the obvious and that the same applies where ever you are, clearly this is not the case.
Finally if a poll were to be taken amongst reasonable people everywhere or even those who just visit this board, asking the question should my previous post stay or should it have been deleted, what do you really think the answer to that question would be !
So to the narcissistic individual who deleted it, maybe it's time for some introspection and courting some public opinion over your actions.
AC is paradise, but it currently has an unsavoury dimension that should come with a "buyer beware" label for anyone buying into it for whatever period of time.
As a public message board this is exactly the place where that message should be available.

Safecracker #485649 02/10/14 04:13 AM
I've bumped it for you , I don't think it was deleted, just lost.
If you looking for something you've posted and can't find it click on your name 'Safecracker' and a menu will appear, then click on
the bottom of the menu where it says 'View Posts' your recent post will appear. I think it was just buried and you couldn't find it.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Safecracker #485650 02/10/14 04:28 AM
There is something odd about that area, it gets hit a lot where half mile to the North and South don't. I stopped their several years back and someone stole my tool box from my boat during my 10 min. visit. Over the years I've noticed the houses and condos in the area get burglarized with some regularity higher than the norm. Could be the area isn't populated well or visibility poor but definitely too much crime in one small area for there not to be a correlated element that needs a fix.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #485651 02/10/14 04:34 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Elbert, just concerned that we acknowledge as well as try to fix it.
In my view, part of fixing it has to be making it as difficult as possible for it to happen.

Regards

Martin

Safecracker #485677 02/10/14 03:17 PM
M
M
We had our bike stolen right in front of Cindy's Kitchen in broad daylight the other day. We always lock our bikes, but everything was blocked with vehicles and delivery trucks. Ran in just quickly enough to place the order and was back outside in less than 5 minutes, and already gone. Just ridiculous.

We also heard from a couple of our customers that two ladies were robbed on the beach in the early evening just a 3 minute walk to the north from us. They were all mature single women traveling together, and now they are afraid to go out anywhere, even together, after 4pm. It's completely pathetic that they have to feel this way. My husband has been offering to take them out on the lagoon kayaking in the evening to see the birds roost and then make sure they make it safely back to where they are staying. They want to, but don't want to leave their friend behind, and she's just too afraid to take the chance. I'd beat them to a bloody pulp if I could get my hands on them. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

Maya House #485712 02/11/14 05:59 AM
My comment doesn't relate to the area north of town, and I don't doubt that crime is on an upswing. But on a positive note, on Saturday I parked our cart on front street, forgetting the keys in the ignition. Left it for 4+ hours and when we got back the cart was still there, intact. Good luck yes, but a hundred people must have passed it but not one of those people thought to steal it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.