Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Anyone have any experience with electric tankless water heaters on the island? Thanks

B
B
We have 4 in our home built in 2008 and they work great. You can PM me for more info.

P
P
I had a bad experience. Installed two, threw them away within a week. They have flow switches and would often turn off if another tap in the house was turned on as this alters the flow of water, activating it to switch off as the heater thought the lower flow meant the initial tap had been turned off. There was no adjustment to allow for this or option to change a setting. Also if you turn a tap on really quickly, especially a lever tap that can go from off to fully open very quickly it bangs the pressure causing 'water hammer' and causes it to flip on and off quickly and as mine were electric with a huge amperage it caused large power spikes which in time are bad.

I'd love to have them if there are better ones as the idea is great to not have to store heated water esp as Tanks last so short a time here and cause havoc when they leak.

L
L
I have had mine (A Titan Camping Shower) for 7 months and love it. I do not use the On/Off switch on the shower head, just turn on the tank and turn on the water. Turn off both when I am finished. Still have not had to refill the butane tank and it makes water so hot I cannot put it past 2/10. Got mine from Amazon for under 100$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Portab...-Tankless-Hot-Water-Heater-/111281957936

Oops, sorry just realize you are looking for electric but it will not let me delete the post. Apologies

Last edited by lil'red; 02/17/14 02:10 PM.
D
D
They are the standard in the whole world except the US. Euros tie their radiators into the hot water and heat their apts with the same unit.
Cheap ones have control problems and need to change gas settings and so on.
Expensive ones like Bosch operate trouble and effort free.
We have them in our rentals, but first had to buy and toss some cheap ones.

P
P
Not standard in UK either - or weren't 13 years ago.

Dane. the ones you have in your rental Apartments. Are they sizeable apartments with more than one bathroom, multiple hot water outlets all fed from a single heater? sinks, showers, bath washing machine etc. Are they gas heated or electric. Would be interested in details and a model number if possible - I've gone through six water heaters - what a nightmare mess every time.

S
S
Last time I visited my family in Newcastle about 15 years ago I wondered what the heck the box was in the shower. Worked great. I know a few people who have them here (mounted outdoors though). Much better than water heaters "if" you have the ability to get them plumbed in.

I have two of these. I've had one for over two years. It is designed for people totally off the grid; starts on 2 D cell batteries and then uses propane. Since I have a well we have to pay attention to the water pressure. Having people cooperate is a lot less trouble than paying to constantly heat a tank of water and have the thing rust out in no time.
Yes, you do have to maintain a certain level of pressure.
I have now installed the second one which is tied into the electric service for a starter then runs on propane.
The first one has been switched over to service the caretakers quarters and my 2nd level master bath.
The newer one services a one bedroom apartment, my 2nd level kitchen and the 3rd level bathroom.
Here's the secret to getting hot water in the shower: turn on the hot water in the sink, then turn on the overhead shower head, turn off the sink. The handheld seems to more restricted than the overhead rain head. I do switch to that for the final rinse and am finished before it gets cold.
I know, it sound like a lot of work but until we can find a way to remove those flow restrictors this works.
When I installed one in California about 15 years ago it was about $1,500 but it did service the entire house without a decrease in temperature. The last two cost under $500 each.
Yes, the water came out scalding hot and we reset it so it does not get above 120 - and believe me that is more than hot enough.
I say go for it and learn to manage.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
That isn't going to work for me with guests. I need seamless turn on a tap and hot water comes out. Something that slots in where the Hot Water Tank is currently, not individual units per outlet. I have six or seven hot water outlets on each floor with bathrooms, taps, showers, baths, dishwashers and washing machine.

Looking forward to Dane returning and hearing about his Bosch. Will do some research too.

I have had three in our house (s) for 12 years. Zero problems. They work great!

Given the low delta San Pedro water needs to be heated these are a great solution.

This is the brand: http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/products.html

I use the electric version DHC-E with variable thermostat. Cost $299. They transport easily in your suitcase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.