Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#487209 03/02/14 12:05 PM
OP Offline
Hello, We are wanting to purchase a house on Caye Caulker and was wondering if anyone could pass along a reputable realtor. We have no idea how to purchase in Belize and need lots of advice. The first one I'm just wondering about do they do appraisals and inspections there? I've heard that most of the asking prices on houses are sky high & you never offer full price? Do we need a lawyer to buy a house?
We are not looking to live there full-time until my husband retires in about seven years but would love to use it as a vacation home now. Is there any kind of way to secure your house when you're not there since its not in gated neighborhood? Was also wondering about the ex-pat community there? Thx

Last edited by LasVegan; 03/02/14 12:06 PM.
D
D
Lot of questions. Sara Warner is one of several good realtors. There is little to characterize the real estate biz on CC because there are few listings and no MLS.
It is unlike America. Use a lawyer like M. Nunez at Musa and Balderamos.
Some prices are silly. Many locals do not accept less than the listing price.
Very hard to compare with so few listings.
You might consider buying a lot at today's prices and having your perfect home built over time until you are ready. This can be half as expensive as buying a built home.
It gives you chance to realize that a 1500 sq ft three bedroom ranch style is not the right house on the Caye.
If you plan to live just the same as America or Canada, bring a lot of coin.
It costs a lot to import that lifestyle.
We have a better way to live on CC that isn't as expensive.
Beachfront is double or triple the price of a place 100 ft from the sea.
The entire island is a white sand beach.
I love the expats on CC including Sara. Your mileage may vary.
I do not think gated communities secure your home unless they have a 24 hour guards patrolling the yards like a prison.
If you have nothing to steal when you are gone except furniture you won't have a theft problem. Mant folks have a small apt for a caretaker.

Last edited by Dane; 03/03/14 01:07 PM.
D
D
Appraisals and inspections aren't really the CC method. When there are only ten homes listed you can do your own comparisons. Borrowing money from Belize banks isn't likely and US banks usually won't accept a home overseas as collateral.

OP Offline
Thanks for the tips. No, we don't need a mortgage loan. We just got finished building a 2000sq ft true log cabin in the mountains in the US ourselves so kind of burnt out on the whole building a house scene lol. That's why we want something done now & we could start vacationing in now. Our plan is to never live on the island year-round our goal is to live at the cabin half the year and on the island half the year when we retire, For now they are both vacation homes. Because of this our budget is not big by any means since we will pay cash. We are just really looking for a little Beachhouse on an island.

OP Offline
But a small apartment for a caretaker I might consider building, I like that idea.

S
S
I sent you a private message.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day