Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
The help forum for Ambergris Caye.com about the pets is down, we are traveling to AC with our large dog. I am looking for the best way to get our dog from Belize City to San Pedro, preferably on a plane. Does anybody know the best way to do this, or if they allow dogs on the smaller planes that go from Belize City to the island? Thanks!

i have seen large dogs on Tropic flights and I believe you buy seat(s) for the dog - the number dependent upon size.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
eyesofstyle, You'll need to arrange it directly with the airline, Tropic or Maya. As long as your dog's crate will fit onto the plane, you'll just have to let them know its size so that they can determine the number of seats you'll be required to reserve and purchase to accommodate it. If the crate will not fit onto the airplane, your only option will be by water taxi.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

N
N
It's been my experience that it's less expensive to fly dogs on Maya than Tropic. Generally they just charge for one seat and Tropic charges more (I think for 3 seats but I'm not entirely sure about that). I don't know what happens if the crate is very large but they have always been helpful with us. It's probably worth giving them a call and asking them directly.

You do need to give them a day or two notice so they bring one of the planes that does not have the back bench seat because that's where they'll put the dog.

R
R
Noelle is correct. The last I knew Tropic, which is a great airline for people and my preference, will charge you for as many as 3 seats to fly a dog because they put the kennel on the rear seat and will not allow others on this seat. The problem is that you just do not know what Tropic will charge until the plane is ready to leave. If the plane has a lot of passengers then you will pay for 3 seats, if not and if you push it a little you will pay for one seat. You will not know until the last few minutes.

Take the ferry or better yet take Tropic Ferry which will pick you up at the airport and deliver you to the closest dock to where you are staying. This is the method I have used for the last 3 years. The ferry may be cheaper but they let you off at a dock down town and then your luggage, kennel and whatever have to move either to a taxi or to the coastal express dock which is nothing but a pain. One year, several ago I talked the ferry captain to bring me over to the Coastal dock but that is the exception and not the rule.

Good Luck the companionship is worth it. Today I was seperated from my wife and dog for a while because I had to attend to some business. I asked the guys where my wife and dog went. I told them I was worried and really missed my dog. wink Only kidding for those of you who know my wife but a dog is man's best friend.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
great advice from ragman. Aside from bringing two of my dogs over from the mainland, I only travel with them if I need to take them to the mainland for veterinary treatment and, of course, that tends to be an emergency, when costs become less of a priority.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Hi Eyes, thanks for the note on the Knowledgebase being down. It is now fixed�.

B
B
We take the Tropic Ferry with our 70lb dog. They are very helpful and take you right to your dock. No drama whatsoever; no waiting for the last flight; no worries if the kennel will fit or having to disassemble it.

Yes we used them too. They were wonderful. And our dog didn't have to be in the kennel during the boat ride.

I
I
This is a question for those that have traveled from the states with their dog (very large dog) We considered bringing ours but I have never traveled with her out of the country before and reading the rules and regulations was concerned that what if there were a problem in customs? What if for some reason they held her and I would be stuck waiting for clearance? Also the other concern was she weighs 150 lb and would not be the easiest to lug around in a very large crate to and from airport to water taxi? Also do you give the dog some kind of medicine to keep them calm? Sorry for all the questions I am just sick to have to leave her but don't know quite how people manage to travel with a large breed? Any hints tips etc.. greatly appreciated.

IfOnlyICud
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.