photo DSC_0933_zps5fa076f5.jpg
Caye Caulker, Belize. Go slow!

In Monaco this summer we couchsurfed with the most amazing guy. He was also hosting four other people (he had 6 surfers every day – wow!). Two of them were Amy and Myles, a married couple from New Zealand.

They had been 6 weeks in Central America before going to Europe, and naturally we had a million questions for them.

One of the things they talked about did not excite me at all: rastafarians. Slow living, lots of marijuana and just plain laziness.

It sounded like hell to me.

I’ve always dreamed of living in a big city. Big like New York City – The Big Apple. Strolling down 5th Avenue with a million other people, the constant buzz, the lights, the opportunities… Everything about the city that never sleeps were just perfect in my eyes.

But then we went to Caye Caulker in Belize and everything changed.

From the minute we stepped out of the water taxi, we instantly fell into a much slower beat. Everything just tuned in at a much, much slower pace. And we were instantly hooked.

photo DSC_0940_zpsb1117aec.jpg

A few minutes after arriving, a rasta said “take it easy, man” when we walked by him. And that really sums up the spirit of Caye Caulker.

Everything here is just about “going slow”. There are no roads here – only sandy paths with lots of holes in them. There are no cars – only golf carts and bicycles.

The island is small and you quickly recognize everyone. It’s a perfect blend of tourists, rastafarians, mayans, chinese (lots of chinese here!) and just island people.

Everybody walks slowly around. You just get into that pace. You all eat at the same places, you live in simple cabanas, enjoy sitting at the beach and looking at the perfect blue Caribbean Sea.

The description above really used to sound like hell to me. But we both love it. I feel like I could stay here forever.

I feel like I’ve come in contact with a side of myself I never knew existed within me.

This person enjoys the slow living, enjoys the same fry jacks for breakfast every morning, likes the tunes of Bob Marley, enjoys a good rum punch, can eat grilled pork ribs every night, can sit for hours and stare at the Caribbean Sea and enjoys seeing the same people and same shops everyday.

photo DSC_0911_zpsb9ca4551.jpg
And we have these sunsets…

Who would have known? Caye Caulker is definitely our kind of paradise. And we will be back. Next time in lobster season!

Source