Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#488948 - 04/02/14 06:27 PM The hazards of bicycling on Ambergris Caye
gsreimers Offline
My lovely wife and I are enjoying beautiful Ambergris Caye this week. We thought it might be fun and different to spend some time on bikes this week. Apparently, the island is very hard on bikes. Sunday we rented bikes to ride in to town. Got a mile down the beach and BANG. Thought somebody was shooting at me but it was just the back tire blowing out. Fortunately it was right in front of Maya House (maybe a mile north of town.) The sign said they rented bikes.

The owner (sorry I can't remember his name) was one of the greatest guys in the world. He said "I don't have a tire and tube to fix your bike, but here, let me put a new wheel on yours so you can ride to town and get your tire fixed"

The bike repair shop is just south of the bridge. Dropped it off, went and had a rum punch, did a little shopping and picked up the new tire and tube installed on the old wheel and rode back to Maya House. The owner of Maya House would not take my money for the loan of the wheel. Great couple, I would recommend seeing them if you ever want to rent a bike or Kayak.

Monday rented bikes from the hotel again. Got into town and looked back at my lovely bride and said "what's the deal, how come your so slow?" Her response "I lost my damn pedal a 1/2 mile ago."

It appears rust is an issue on the island. The hotel is great. Not their fault stuff falls apart. It's an island thing and we were in no hurry. Just shows @#$% happens, and now we have another story to tell about our great time on the isla bonita.

#488950 - 04/02/14 07:10 PM Re: The hazards of bicycling on Ambergris Caye [Re: gsreimers]
Diane Campbell Offline
Rust never sleeps, and rubber is no match for our "roads".
glad you are having a good time despite the elements!
Please send us more nice people like your good selves - and come back again and again.

#488979 - 04/03/14 07:28 AM Re: The hazards of bicycling on Ambergris Caye [Re: gsreimers]
Gridguy Offline
GS, Great attitude!

A group of us rented bikes one year from our hotel, made it about 20 yards and one literally snapped in half! The rider was of average size, just picked the wrong bike... Got another and carried on smile

#488999 - 04/03/14 01:32 PM Re: The hazards of bicycling on Ambergris Caye [Re: gsreimers]
ScubaLdy Offline
Charlie of Estel's told me that even plastic rust here. The Maya House is owned by Randy Harris and his wife Lisa.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.