Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I would have to say, with me not being in the business and you being in it, I respect your opinion. That is not to say I accept it. It would be interesting to get opinions from Belizeans in the business.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Inpub,
It's a 5 star training agency in Belize city called Sea Sports Belize. I don't want this to be misconstrued to say the Belizeans are not trained well. They are trained well and PADI headquarters gives the final exams/tests themselves so here is not the problem.
Blocking instructors from other parts of the world is the problem.
Any vocation benefits from familiarization outside of it's geographical boundaries.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
To me it might be an oversimplification of a more complex issue. But, I would ask the question: Is foreign investment good to encourage when it provides jobs for Belizeans? Or, is the use of Belize resources good to provide jobs for foreigners?

Thank you Elbert, I was not getting at anybody, just wondered who instructed the instructor's.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I would agree with it being an oversimplification, we would be allowing foreigners to come in and provide a service we can't provide Adequately and enhance our service to attract more business, with the bonus of them bringing up the standards of our own instructors.
A quick look at the performance report card of a typical Belize dive shop compared to one of Utila or Phuket will show course levels taught to be high in the basics but extremely low in the upper level certifications when compared to Utila or Phuket.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes , Inplub PADI regulates by doing the testing themselves and this keeps the standards high. Regional Course Directors train and present candidates to a Two day testing called Instructor Evaluation that is given by international headquarters.

Last edited by elbert; 04/05/14 11:22 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
It seems to me that once someone gets certified as an instructor they want to open their own dive shop.
How many dive shops are now on the island?
How many dive instructors work full time here?
How many dive masters are certified and licensed to work here?
Maybe Billy Leslie would be the one to answer these.

Elbert - how long ago did you get your work permit? I can think of several other gringo's who used to work here; how did they get permits? I take it things changed; when?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I made myself a citizen, about the time Woolly Mammoth disappeared from the Continent.

White Sands Dive Shop
Elbert, woolly mammoth. smile

I agree with you. Don't need to open the flood gates but maybe a quota max number and/or special work permit for limited time. Considering PADI has already been getting its nose in Belize's business, perhaps that can be used to persuade GOB and Guide Assoc.?

Might also bring to the notice of Belizean instructors thst there's an overall benefit to themselves in this.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
A
I think that international influence is a good thing in the scuba industry. One of the best divemasters that I ever worked with was a German national working in the US. If nothing else it helps give consistency in standards. Belize is getting a reputation as a place where standards are not followed. Having more and better instructors would certainly help.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.