Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#489144 - 04/06/14 06:39 PM Chase Bank
mawags Offline
Has anyone ever used a Chase Bank debit card in a ATM on San Pedro? Just curious to know what US debit cards work on the island. Thanks

#489145 - 04/06/14 06:59 PM Re: Chase Bank [Re: mawags]
ACBum Offline
Yes Chase Bank cards work ... tell them before you leave the country that you are going to be in Central America ... they are real hard to get turned on once you are out of the country .. You get charged a percentage for using it. Also if you want to get lump sums wired to you ... Chase will not wire money for you out of the country as of Nov. of last year. Lastly you can only withdraw 1000bz / 500 US a day and hit the ATM's ... there are only two I believe during the week as on the weekends they run out often ... enjoy.

#489148 - 04/06/14 11:53 PM Re: Chase Bank [Re: mawags]
Inplub Offline
Belize Bank have 4 ATM machines in San Pedro that I know of. All the other banks have 1 at their banks.

#489150 - 04/07/14 01:39 AM Re: Chase Bank [Re: mawags]
ragman Offline
My advice would be to cut up your debit card. You have much less protection under the law in the USA than a credit card and while your arguing about it your money is out there and not theirs.

Now an exception to this and maybe not a good one because I don't know the legal protections is an ATM card. I've had very good luck using these and the fees are lower than a credit card in my experience. I only use these at a bank or what I think is a reputable business.

I would not use either a credit or debit card except in a bank or a hotel that I am staying at. I have heard several horror stories of people using them in other locations. Having said that a few years ago I went up to Chetumal, MX and the only place I used my credit card was at a moderate size hotel. The bank notified me of suspicious activity which I confirmed was not mind. No harm no foul but had I used a debit card I'm not so sure it would have had good results without a lot of effort.

I would say that San Pedro is reasonably safe to use a card but you must always check your transactions very frequently to make sure all is well. Sometimes it is not the business but a less than honest employee who gets your information. Beware.
Also sometime these transactions show up months after you have used your card. Frequently check your transactions no matter where you are.

#489179 - 04/07/14 06:51 PM Re: Chase Bank [Re: mawags]
ScubaLdy Offline
Also - always left your credit card know when and where you are traveling. Mine looks out for me and the one time I did not notify them is went to Chetumal shopping. Had one hell of a time getting my purchases authorized - I don't speak Spanish and all the telephone operators there did not speak English.

#489221 - 04/08/14 04:59 PM Re: Chase Bank [Re: ScubaLdy]
IGAmel Offline
Richy's has an ATM.

#489236 - 04/09/14 01:10 AM Re: Chase Bank [Re: mawags]
Inplub Offline
Richy's is a Belize Bank one, there is one at Wings another Island Supermarket, the last one is at Belize Bank.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.