Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Thousands of Primary School boys and girls will head to examination centers on Monday morning for the first half of the Primary School Examinations, PSE.

The students will write papers in Language Arts and Science.

For the last few weeks, teachers and tutors have been working with the Standard 6 students to get them ready for the PSE. Private candidates will also be sitting the PSE on Monday.

The second half of the PSE will be administered in May and the results are expected to be released shortly thereafter.

Good luck to all the primary school boys and girls.

Patrick Jones

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Thousands of Primary School boys and girls will head to examination centers on Monday morning for the first half of the Primary School Examinations, PSE.

The students will write papers in Language Arts and Science.

For the last few weeks, teachers and tutors have been working with the Standard 6 students to get them ready for the PSE. Private candidates will also be sitting the PSE on Monday.

The second half of the PSE will be administered in May and the results are expected to be released shortly thereafter.

Good luck to all the primary school boys and girls.

Patrick Jones

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

More than 7000 students sit day-one of the P.S.E.

Primary school students around the country were up bright and early this morning for day-one of the Primary School Examination. More than seven thousand six hundred sat the exam, for many, anxiety faded once they saw the test papers for English and Science; others felt the tests were as easy as a-b-c.� The results won't be known until June, but before that, Math which is the most challenging test will be taken in May. News Five's Isani Cayetano has that story.�

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

Over seven thousand, five hundred students across the country sat Day One of the annual Primary School Examinations today.� P.S.E., as they have come to be known, are important in evaluating academic performance, particularly for admission into secondary schools.� After weeks of diligent preparation, including evening classes and sitting mock tests, they were assessed for proficiency in English and Science.� Not surprisingly, a majority of those we spoke with afterwards say the papers were fairly easy.

Sheree Clark

Sheree Clark, Pilgrim Fellowship School

"First, I was scared and nervous and I thought it was going to be hard and when I went into the room my heart was beating fast but the exam was very easy.� We did a lot of studying and lots of preparation.� We got evening classes and Saturday classes."

Yensy Ferguson, Trinity Methodist School

"I was a little bit nervous at first but when time dehn give we di paper, then it was easy."

Lisa Clare

According to Lisa Clare, of the Ministry of Education's Exams Unit, while much hasn't changed in the way the exams are administered, the results, when released sometime in May, will vary.

Lisa Clare, Itinerant Resource Officer, Exams Unit

"Basically, it's the same.� In the multiple choice for English we look at mechanics and comprehension and in the mechanics section we look at grammar, punctuation and vocabulary and for the comprehension we look at literal comprehension, insightful, inferential and critical comprehension and [in] science we look at concepts and process skills."

Sheree Clark

"The exam wasn't that very hard because the story and the letter writing were two easy things to do and Science, well I love science so it was very easy for me."

In a ten-year trend in science mean scores, the results remained in the high sixties percentile despite a slight decrease of three percentage points from the previous year.

Mark Summerville

Mark Summerville, Pilgrim Fellowship School

"Science is my favorite subject and math is also my favorite subject and the next PSE I think I will do even better on Math and Social Studies."

In English, the students were required to write a basic letter.

Yensy Ferguson

Yensy Ferguson

"It took me kinda long for the language, for the story writing and the letter writing was easy.� So, we had to write a friendly letter stating that we're having an event at school.� So it was kind of easy."

Isani Cayetano

"In interviewing a number of students who sat today's exam, the overall feedback or response, if I may, is that the exam was fairly easy.� But, then again, it's usually a response that students give annually and then the results show otherwise. Do you believe that this particular exam this year is any more challenging than previous years?"

Lisa Clare

"Not necessarily, I believe it's about the same.� The performance paper is usually the one that would be more difficult for them because they have to, it's an application paper where they would, their writing would show whether or not they have grasped the English language and all the little things that go along with writing."

By consensus, the students all attest to Math being the most challenging exam.

Sheree Clark

"That's the hardest part, the other part is the hardest part but I think I can do well on it.� I have been getting a lot of classes, especially in math.� I'm good in math but I still think I need to do better.� I think it will be very easy."

Odelia Saunders, Pilgrim Fellowship School

"I think it will be very easy because we have been preparing for math for a long time now so I think I'll do good on it."

Day Two will be sat on May fifth. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Primary school students sit day-two of the P.S.E.

Primary school students throughout the country today completed day-two of the Primary School Examinations. The two subject areas were in Social Studies and Math one and two papers. Math two, which involves problem solving and tested their knowledge of logics, is considered one of the most difficult exams and the results are often dismal. News Five's Isani Cayetano was back on the P.S.E. trail and revisited E.P. Yorke where a number of students from other schools were sitting the exams.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

Day Two of the annual Primary School Examinations was held today, with standard six students across the country being assessed in Math and Social Studies.� The second round of testing saw a little over seven thousand children returning to the exam rooms, after a month of preparation for the remaining subjects.

Lindsey Gomez, Bethel Primary School

Lindsey Gomez

"It was kinda easy.� Some of it was hard, some of it was easy because we are used to it because we take Saturday classes and we study on a daily basis so it was kind of easy."

Isani Cayetano

"What about the Social Studies, were there any questions about Belize that you did not know?"

Lindsey Gomez
"No, all of them I knew."

Isani Cayetano

"Now that you've sat both days of the exam do you think you have performed well enough to come out on top in terms of the P.S.E.s?"

Lindsey Gomez

"Yes sir?"

Isani Cayetano

"And where would you go after this, in terms of your high school choice?"

Lindsey Gomez

"Well I really don't know.� I haven't decided yet."

Kia McKenzie

And while Lindsey may be unsettled on her choice of secondary school, Kia McKenzie of All Saints Anglican Primary School says that the exams today were relatively easy with the exception of math, of course.

Kia McKenzie, All Saints Anglican Primary School

"The Math two dat mi difficult and like fu di light bill and di wata bill dah one deh dat mi haad.� Fi di Social Studies dat neva really haad cause I mih study fi dat too."

According to Itinerant Resource Officer Lisa Clare, at the Exams Unit, the papers are designed to test the student's knowledge of logical processes.� The Social Studies paper, she says, is the least difficult of all exams.

Lisa Clare, Itinerant Resource Officer, Exams Unit

"The application paper which is the paper two is always perceived to be the more difficult paper because children actually have to show processes as to how they arrive at the answers.� So you find that most students find that particular paper difficult to do."

Isani Cayetano

Lisa Clare

"How about the Social Studies exam in terms of the types of questions asked and in terms of the overall proficiency either based on a trend over the years?"

Lisa Clare

"Social Studies for the past number of years has always been the better of the four papers.� Basically, we ask questions about resources, government and culture, transportation and communication and organizations and there are different levels for different skills that we target when we ask the questions and pretty much children seem to be able to handle that paper."

Results for the P.S.E.s are due in early June. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Thousands of students sit final part of PSE

238 standard six students from Caye Caulker Village and San Pedro Town joined over 5,500 primary school students across the country who sat the final part of national Primary School Examination (PSE). Paper two of the exams was taken on Monday May 5th, and comprised of Mathematics and Social Studies.

According to San Pedro Town District Education Officer Miriam Codd-Pott, the second part of the PSE entailed 10 problem solving and 50 multiple choice questions from math and likewise 50 multiple choice social studies questions. Codd-Pott explained that of the 238 total that sat the exam, 92 students were from the San Pedro Roman Catholic School, 45 from New Horizon Seventh Day Adventist, 34 from Holy Cross Anglican School, 31 from Caye Caulker Roman Catholic School, 15 from La Isla Bonita Elementary School, 11 from The Island Academy, eight from Ambergris Caye Elementary School and two private candidates.

Kylie Alamilla of San Pedro Roman Catholic School is happy that the PSE is finally over, and she is hopeful for the best results. "For the most part it was easy. The most challenging part of the exam had to do with mathematics - problem solving. One of the hardest questions was calculating an electricity bill� I expect to do quite well overall because I put in all my effort preparing for the PSE. I am confident that I did well, and am looking forward to a good result," said Alamilla.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.