Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty #473059 09/21/13 05:28 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

TripAdvisor® awards certificate of excellence to The Belize Zoo

All those who visit it can surely say that The Belize Zoo (TBZ) is the best little zoo in the world. It is thanks to these visitors who recognize this tiny jewel of wildlife conservation and education that TripAdvisor® has recognized TBZ by awarding them with a Certificate of Excellence for the year 2013. TBZ received a four and a half star rating, making it among the top 10% of attractions rated by TripAdvisor® worldwide.

The Belize Zoo commits itself to conserving Belize's wildlife though education. TBZ began in 1983 as a place to hold tame wildlife that had been used in filming documentaries. The project received substantial support and in 1991 it was opened to the public as The Belize Zoo. Today the Belize Zoo is a stronghold for Belize's wildlife, housing over 150 animals that were once pets, were injured or are affected by natural disasters.

Thousands visit the zoo annually and all are touched by the stories of the animals that reside there. "Had a blast, it was really fun! Interesting getting to see all of the different animals. It was definitely fun and interesting." "Every animal was up close-I loved seeing the jaguar Junior. It was very small, but you get a better/closer view of all the animals. Thanks so much!" "My kids loved the way the wild life was kept in their natural habitat. The monkey and tapirs were very cool to look at. I will visit Belize again." These are only a few of the great comments visitors have left for The Belize Zoo on TripAdvisor®. Our own Associate Editor Mary Gonzalez recounts the remarkable experience of sitting in a cage while Junior the jaguar licked her forehead, a unique experience for sure!

San Pedro Sun

Marty #474604 10/10/13 05:50 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Eco-Lite: The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo got another great write up, and in this article you can see the new cafe and entrance that they've built, which look great. There are some extremely high resolution pictures there too. "The Belize Zoo is easily worth a couple of hours just to see all the gorgeous birds in very attractive aviaries and read the info-plaques on the exhibits. I love how the zoo educates both Belizeans and tourists about how the birds and animals are part of their cultural heritage and should be protected and treasured!"

Marty #478150 11/23/13 05:19 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

THE WONDERS AT THE BELIZE ZOO BIRDS N CATS HANGING OUT

The Belize Zoo, which is celebrating its 30th year, and just had Panama the Harpy Eagle's 10th 'hatch' day party, is shown in a new video entitled 'The Wonders at the Belize Zoo.'

"The Zoo was buzzing with festivities last week as we celebrated the 10th birthday of Panama our male harpy eagle! Over 100 students, parents and teachers from the communities of Indian Church, La Democracia, and San Carlos came to the Zoo to wish this beautiful bird a very happy "hatch" day. Students got to be eagles for a day, with masks and wings, and received prizes, birthday cake, and valuable knowledge about the importance of raptors like Harpy Eagles to our great country. We thank our friends at The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium for helping us provide a special day for the children of Belize."

Marty #483586 01/21/14 05:06 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize Zoo

I organised something very special for my last night in Belize, an overnight stay at the Belize City Zoo!

I love animals and I love adventure. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I could not turn down.

When my tiny little plane touched down in Belize City I was taken aback. All I had seen of Belize was beautiful San Pedro and in comparison Belize City seemed very undeveloped. I took a taxi to the chaotic bus station. I was already apprehensive about taking the bus as it was a Sunday and I knew the service wouldn't be regular. After a lot of negotiating, from $150 to $30, I took a taxi from the bus station to the zoo. The highway was pretty much a dirt road and my taxi wheezed the whole way down it. After 5 minutes the taxi driver pointed out the local prison. A few minutes later, he showed me a strip club. That was my guided tour of Belize City.

I was pretty surprised when me and my taxi made it to the Belize Zoo Lodge. The lodge is made up of lodge dwellings nestled away in the jungle, complete with a crocodile infested lake and bird watching platform. The place is beautiful. Gorgeous trees and birds everywhere. No people, no cars, no noise. My room was incredible, the nicest in the whole place. It looked like a big tree house with a bathroom, kitchen, wrap around balcony, hammock. It was gorgeous. I booked on to the night-time tour of the zoo so I had the whole day to enjoy the lodge. Unfortunately I was told that there had been some muggings around the area that week it was not safe for me to walk around. This was disappointing news. I had heard so much about Belize City being dangerous perhaps I was na�ve to think that I would be safe in the jungle.

One thing I wasn't safe from was the bugs. In general, I do not get bitten by insects. Even in the most infested area I will usually walk away without a bite. All that changed at the lodge. Within 5 minutes of arriving my legs were covered in insect bites. COVERED. The next day I looked like I had a contagious disease. For TWO weeks after strangers would stop me in the supermarket to ask me questions about my hideous insect bites. I learnt my lesson quickly and as soon as I checked into my room I got completely covered up, even though it was sweltering hot, and used up a can of insect repellant in my room. It was too late for my poor legs, but I didn't get any other bites.

The Belize Zoo is very special. It rescues animals and only takes in animals that could not survive in the wild. No animals are captured from the wild. It is an educational facility first and foremost with the aim of teaching people how to protect the magnificent creatures of Belize. To visit the zoo at night-time and have it open just for my group of 8 was an honour. Inside really was pitch black and without torches you could not see one step in front of you. As many of the animals at the zoo are nocturnal they are more likely to be alert and ready for interaction at night-time. When we arrived we waited for the rest of our group in the waiting area � also known as the snake room. I am not a big fan of snakes. I tried to not look at the 3 beasts behind the glass and busied myself reading all about the zoo. I looked around and our guide was holding a massive python. "Oh my God�. did that come from outside?" I screeched. When the guide said that it had I started heading back the way I came in. He laughed and told me he had actually just got it out of his enclosure. I did not laugh back. While he let the snake cuddle all over his body, I pinned myself to a wall on the opposite side of the room.

The tour of the zoo alone was so worth the journey to Belize. We seen crocodiles, tapirs, monkeys, eagles, ocelots. All were out playing and seemed to be waiting for us to come and visit them. Our guide hand fed the animals as we went from enclosure to enclosure. The animals were not shy about coming out and letting us see them. The best bit was seeing the big cats. At other zoos I have been to the cats will sit far away from the visitors and you are lucky if you even get a glimpse of one. Not only did we get to see jaguars close up and watch them feed, we actually had the chance to touch their paws. Who in the World can say that? What was most important to me is how well the animals are cared for. The zoo is concerned with the well being of each and every animal. Our guide had so much passion and love for the animals it was beautiful to see. Belize Zoo may be small, but I can happily say it is the best I have ever come across in the World.

After my zoo adventure, I went back to my cabin in the trees and slept with the sounds of the animals all around me. The next morning it was time to say goodbye to Belize. It really had been a great trip. Unexpectedly wonderful.

Source

Marty #485458 02/07/14 01:04 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize Zoo Transformation Project

Feelgood news of the day. The video about the Belize Zoo's journey to get handicap accessible is a great story. They currently have a crowdfunding campaign going on right now on indiegogo.com. If you'd like to donate CLICK HERE.

"Our story begins with a man named Jerome who had grown up at and loved The Belize Zoo. While working, Jerome was injured, which eventually led to one of Jerome's legs being partially amputated. When he went to The Zoo to visit after his surgery, Jerome realized that he could not maneuver his wheelchair through the gravel pathways. He could no longer access the place that meant so much to him. So The Belize Zoo reached out to the Inclusive Recreation Resource Center at SUNY Cortland (IRRC) in the hopes that we would be able to help The Zoo create a more inclusive environment not only for Jerome but for all of The Zoo's patrons. A love affair was born. Working together to form The Belize Zoo Transformation Project, The Belize Zoo and the Inclusive Recreation Resource Center formulated a plan to not only make The Zoo more accessible but also to promote inclusion and accessibility in the US and Belize."

VIDEO

Marty #487243 03/03/14 04:43 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Day At The Belize Zoo – A Belize Family Vacation Travel

One of our family’s most memorable vacations was the week we spent in beautiful Belize. And what better way to learn more about this gem of a country than to take a walk on the wilder side, right? The wilder size of the Belize Zoo, that is! It’s where you can experience the country’s diverse animal population. Be amazed by birds of magnificent beauty and birds of prey. Walk alongside reptiles, and marvel at arachnids behind glass.

Belize Zoo

No trip to Belize is complete without exploring this small, yet incredible zoo.�The Belize Zoo’s motto says it all – “the best little zoo in the world.” See for yourself!

Welcome to the Belize Zoo!

We are a family of zoo lovers, so naturally a day at the Belize Zoo was high on our list of Belize adventures. So join us as we�take a walk on Belize’s wilder side.

Belize zoos

The Belize Zoo is home to a wide selection of animals, birds, reptiles and arachnids, all native to Belize. Including this little guy, a Baird’s Tapir. He’s also known locally as the mountain cow. Which of course, resulted in peels of laughter from my kids! They thought it looked more like an overgrown pig than a cow.

Tapirs

Howler monkeys, coatis, kinkajus, they’re here too. So are the ocelots. You’ll need a keen eye to spot an ocelot, though. Look low along the ground and in the bushes, as these guys prefer the ground over the trees. And they blend right in, as this guy does. Ocelots�are nocturnal, and are often found snoozing the day away.

Belize Wildlife

You’ll also need a keen eye to catch a glimpse of the Margay Cat, another wild cat who prefers the cover of darkness. You’ll want to look up, not down, though, for these kitties. Margay cats much prefer living in forest canopies. We were fortunate to experience this Margay Cat stretching from it’s mid-morning nap.

Wild cats of Belize

No trip to the Belize Zoo is complete without experiencing the Keel Billed Toucan, the national bird of Belize. And it is a most beautiful bird indeed! Keep an eye out for toucans on your other Belize adventures too. They’ve been known to be spotted in the wild, nesting in the holes of tree trunks.

Toucans

So much beauty as you wander through the birds of the Belize Zoo. From Toucans to Scarlet Macaws, vultures, egrets and jabiru storks too. Don’t miss the parrot and the Harpy Eagle, as they strut their stuff! It’s a challenge to spot many Belize bird species in their natural habitats, but not here at the Belize Zoo.

Birds of Belize

Eek! It’s the Mexican red-rumped Tarantula! Don’t worry, he’s behind glass. Otherwise I’d be running too fast in the other direction to photograph him. These large, black and hairy spiders are gentle by nature, and don’t really attack people as a few horror movies might suggest. At least that’s what the tour guide told us. Still keeping my distance.

Tarantula

Last but not least – the jaguar! These majestic cats are found throughout Belize. Thankfully we only found this one, slumbering away high up in a tree, safely tucked behind a zoo fence. No worries for your other Belize adventures. Jaguars are nocturnal, and you are not likely to experience one in the wild. Though you might come across their footprints if hiking deep into the jungle!

Jaguar

Animals, birds, and spiders, oh my! It’s been a most fun, educational, and adventurous morning at the Belize Zoo. And tiring for little guys. No problem – that’s what Dad’s shoulders are for, right?

Belize Zoo family adventure

It’s time to be off for our next adventure! Stick around for the next post in my Belize Family Vacation Travel Series.

The Belize Zoo – A “Best In Class” Destination

After spending several hours here, I’d have to agree with the Belize Zoo. It’s definitely one of, of not the, best little zoo in the world. We’ve been to quite a few zoos over the years, both big and small, and the Belize Zoo remains one of our most favorite zoos. A must-see Belize adventure, no matter your age. My opinion of course!

Tripadvisor certificate of excellence belize

Don’t just take my word though. TripAdvisor awarded the Belize Zoo it’s�Certificate of Excellence�in 2013. A most well deserved award, indeed. Read more about what others have to say about the zoo at�TripAdvisor – Belize Zoo reviews.

Planning A Day At The Belize Zoo

Ready to plan your own day at the Belize Zoo and Tropical Ecucation Center? Here’s tips and advice to make the most of your adventure.

• The zoo is about an hour’s drive from Belize City and the cruise terminals, and about two hours from�Jaguar Reef Lodge, our home away from home.
  • An adult day pass is $15 US, children are $5 US. A bargain adventure, for sure!
  • Plan a minimum of two to four hours to fully explore this fun little zoo.
  • Bring insect repellent! Or you might become snack for a few pesty insects.
  • No food is allowed in the zoo, but there is a picnic area outside the zoo for snack time.
  • The zoo opens at 8:30 am. Plan an early arrival to avoid the heat of the day and see more critters in action.

Looking for a bigger experience while at the zoo? One that you won’t soon forget? Consider booking�the�Director’s VIP Tour, where you will have up close and personal encounters with select Belize Zoo residents.

Source

Marty #489663 04/18/14 05:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Belize Zoo is a hoot at night

Howler monkeys whoop it up somewhere high in the surrounding trees, their loud barks piercing the still night. Nearby, a jaguar roars, its chesty cough adding to the eeriness of the dark jungle.

Only our guide's flash light cuts through the blackness, illuminating the narrow path, framed by thick walls of brush. Red eyes stare. It's just another night at the Belize Zoo, home to more than 125 animals native to the Central American country, many of them endangered. Because most of them are nocturnal, night is the best time to see them.

And we do. Jaguars. Pumas. White-tailed deer. An American crocodile. And tapirs, also known as mountain cows (although they're shaped like pigs but with longer snouts). The cool thing about this preserve is the animals live in their natural environment. No manmade habitats; they're simply fenced in. You can literally reach out and touch them, though plenty of handmade signs advise you not to do so.

Our guide extends his hand to offer bananas to a tapir and later feeds a rare black jaguar, who was rescued after being found nearly starved death in a cage at a resort a few years ago. Lucky Boy, as he's been named, has been rehabilitated and he looks pretty healthy now, and definitely not an animal you'd care to cross in the jungle.

The animal park traces its beginnings to a Spanish documentary filmed in Belize in the 1980s. When the film wrapped up and the crew left, the animal care taker stayed behind and created a makeshift zoo. Today, the Belize Zoo is spread among 29 acres and is home to only native mammals, reptiles and birds; none were captured in the wild. Instead, they're like Lucky Boy - rescued from abuse or neglect - or have been donated or relocated from another zoo. The mission is to educate the public about Belize's wildlife and to encourage protection of the country's natural resources.

I'm not a zoo goer (and had to be pressed to join this tour), but the Belize Zoo is a hoot, definitely worth a visit - day or night. I've never really visited another one quite like it.

The Detroit News

Marty #489822 04/23/14 05:08 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

ZOO PATHWAY POUNCES FORWARD!

In its second year of development, the beautiful accessible pathway which winds its way throughout The Best Little Zoo in the world, STILL is not fully complete. The project is a costly one. Although funds were raised both in Belize and from foreign donors, more were needed to see the work go forward into a final and happy finished phase.

Pathway Event - March 2014

The month of March has proven to be a magical month for Belize Zoo pathway progress. First off, a request for funding help which was submitted to the British High Commission, received a thumbs up! These good folks see the imperative need to have the zoo be accessible for all. They share our vision that the beauty of the zoo and its great character will have an everlasting place in Belizean society as a caring and forward-thinking institution. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes and strollers can easily travel the rose-coloured zoo pathway. Presently, the zoo is the only nature destination in Belize which is accessible, and we hope that this is a trend which will grow to other destinations in our country.

Then, our long-standing friends from SUNY Cortland, in New York, arrived to actually do the manual labour required to expand the pathway! Nine students, under the competent direction of Professor Vicki Wilkins, took the hot weather in stride, as they pushed wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow full of stone chips to the pathway site. Except for one lone male, the SUNY Cortland pathway crew was a crew of young women who had tons of determination and enthusiasm. Would the portion of the pathway targeted for completion really happen? The time schedule was brutal. They had four days before a small event would happen, announcing the new portion of the zoo which was now (hopefully) accessible.

Accessible Walkway Gets a Big Boost

Thanks to their hard work and determination, yes! The deadline was met. The SUNY Cortland group had also spent time fund-raising for this good effort before arriving to Belize. Their generous contribution, along with that of the British High Commission, will nearly see the entire pathway become a "done deal". But more happy surprises were to be had. Our area representative, Hon. Dolores Balderamos, came to attend the ceremony. She noted that the zoo was consistent in including the children from neighboring La Democracia and Mahogany Heights in its many programs and activities. She strongly believes in the need for the zoo to become fully accessible to ALL Belizeans. In the not-so-distant past, Ms. Dolores provided funding support to see that our accessible washroom could be built. It was, and is often used by those with diverse abilities. On this day of celebration, Ms. Dolores presented a check which will assist in the final stages of the development of our much-needed, much-appreciated accessible pathway.

Also present at the ceremony were key members of the Belize Assembly for People with Diverse Abilities, BAPDA. Ms. Eve Middleton provided all with an overview of the difficulties which those who have various disabilities face on a daily basis here in our country. She applauded the efforts The Belize Zoo has made to provide a place of fun and recreation for those people who so need an out-of-doors destination to enjoy with friends and family.

The Belize Zoo thanks SUNY Cortland, The British High Commission, Hon. Dolores Balderamos, BAPDA, and our good friends, LOVE FM, for continued support, encouragement and fine friendship.

Source

Marty #502089 03/11/15 12:10 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Belize Zoo, a model for preservation and conservation, and a wonderful place to visit with the animals of Belize.

I will never forget my first visit to a zoo, it was in Philadelphia and I was around six years old. I was absolutely mesmerized by the wonderful creatures in front of me. Elephants, snakes, monkeys, birds �..it was a magical experience, igniting my life long love of animals and nature.

I have visited, and enjoyed, many zoos since then, including San Diego, Washington, Reykjavik, Phoenix, and even Las Vegas.

However, after a safari in Tanzania and Kenya last year, a remarkable adventure, I came to realize animals do not belong in zoos for our viewing pleasure. To see elephant families roaming free, their entire lives, interacting and loving a mud bath, a morning stroll or munching on food, at their own pleasure was enchanting. Or lion families, stretching out in the sun on an isolated rock formation, interacting with each other. I came to the conclusion that they were born free and deserved to stay that way . I swore no more zoos for me, where the poor critters are penned in cages for our pleasure.

So, on my recent visit to Belize the zoo was not on my agenda, However, a change of plans, due to a bout of a run in with the local bacteria, gave me some free time and a lot of folks, both locals and visitors highly recommended the zoo since it was world famous for it's conservation methods. I was so glad I took their advice. What a wonderful place. NONE of the animals were captured in the wild. They were all either injured, unwanted pets, or endangered species, bred in the zoo or given as gifts from other zoos. All are native to Belize. They are kept in large areas that are as close as possible to their native environments. And the messages that identify and provide information about the animals is so entertaining. And the message is that we must protect our natural heritage. The folks at this zoo sure are proud of there's and it is an important message for our entire planet. It is one zoo I'd recommend. I have organized the photos from my visit on this page. http://wp.me/P5GeDV-eD The billboards and their messages are just as entertaining as the animals. If you like critters and conservation spend a few minutes and you will learn a lot about the natural heritage of Belize. Like Paul Simon said , and click here for the song, ornate hawk eagle (2 of 25)"It's all happening at the zoo" This zoo anyway.

"Like us, animals feel love, joy, fear and pain, but they cannot grasp the spoken word. It is our obligation to speak on their behalf ensuring their well-being and lives are respected and protected."
― Sylvia Dolson,

Source: Keep Your Eyes Peeled

BELIZE ZOO

The Belize Zoo is on of those great places to visit in Belize. The animals are not gathered for display but rather, they are injured or orphaned animals that would most likely die. The Belize Zoo is a rescue rehab and release back into the wild as main reason for this endeavor. The chance to learn about these exotic creatures is simply incredible and it is possible to intern here..

Marty #524305 06/28/17 05:06 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Video: The Animals of the Belize Zoo
We went on the directors tour at the Belize Zoo and we created this video of the animals we saw.

Going to the Belize Zoo and Tropical Education Center
Welcome to another episode of Cooper's Amputee Lifestyle. On this episode we drive West of Belize City to go to the Belize Zoo and Tropical Education Center. The Belize Zoo is the only Zoo in Belize that was started in the 1980s by Sharon Matola. What an amazing zoo, well worth time going there and learning about all the animals Belize has to offer. If you are in Belize please go down and visit the Zoo.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.