Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DawnC Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi!

We're looking at spending 10 days to 14 days at Chirstmas, I am a diver, and DH is a birder. We've looked at a few different places to go, Amergris Caye, and maybe a birding place, and Mayan Ruins. Not worried about moving about, but would like info on buses instead of car rentals, and places to stay that aren't expensive. We like food, but would like to eat local, after all, that's why we're travelling!

So, any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

B
B
Hi there, i'm also a first timer...However, I will be traveling to Ambergris Caye May 24 - June 1. After alot of research, i picked a rental condo called Paradise Villa. The owners are very nice and replied quickly to my request. This rental condo is right on Carribean, fully furnished, pool, security.

Check it out:
http://www.vrbo.com/424843?utm_sour...PROP&utm_campaign=InqiryConfirmation

Best Regards, Robin

B
B
Also, theres a dive shop right across the street from Paradise Villa.

T
T
Paradise Villas is in a great location. I stay next door at the Blue Tang Inn. The dive shop in front is Reef Adventures. Ched is a good guy and does a great job.

D
DawnC Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the info!

How easy is it to get around via bus (on the mainland) as we'd love to spend 4 days, 4 days, 4 days in different areas of Belize...I really don't want to rent a car just to have it sitting in between moving places, and if we're on tours, we likely won't need it?

D
DawnC Offline OP
OP Offline
D
No other info??!! Please, I can't get much help here in Canada, as tour operators no longer have info on Belize, due to the gov't warning - go to Costa Rica instead, they're saying...kind of stuck, as I really want to tour around Belize, and not be "stuck" in a tourist area for 10 to 14 days!

A
A
To get a real feel for the country, spend 4 days in San Ignacio, 4 days in Punta Gorda, and the last 4 days in San Pedro. You can hire a driver to meet you at the airport and take you to San Ignacio. Each of the areas recommended are unique and have many things to do.

If you are traveling on a budget you can use buses. From Belize City to San Ignacio (on the express) is two hours with a 15 minute stop in Belmopan. The last time I did this it cost me $10 BZ. Very safe and I found it more interesting just riding and taking in the surroundings.

There are buses to other parts of the mainland but I have no first hand knowledge but I'm sure someone else does.

To come from the mainland to San Pedro you can fly out of Belize City (municipal Airport)for about half of what it costs to fly out of the international airport in Ladyville. OR you can come by boat for half of the price of flying out of muni.

It depends on your nature (how much of a hurry you are in) and how much you want to spend. I have enjoyed the boat ride every time I have taken it.

I rented a SUV in Belize City to take my son and grandson for a few days around San Ignacio. It was VERT expensive as was gasoline.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Buses are super fun and inexpensive. You need to be prepared for the fact that they may not be like buses that you are used to though. There is an express bus from Belize City to Punta Gorda, which I have not been on, but which I believe is air conditioned and relatively comfortable. I love traveling by bus around Belize and you'll find that people are very helpful and kind and will do their best to ensure you get to where you want to go. A good place to start gathering information about buses is here Belize Bus .

It's a relatively short and very scenic bus ride from Belize City to San Ignacio, which is likely to be where you'll want to base yourself for adventures and ruins. I love Ian Anderson's Caves Branch out there myself.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

D
DawnC Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the replies! We plan to spend 4 days in/near San Igancio, 4 days on Ambergris Caye, and the rest?? not sure yet...

Looking forward to travelling by bus, they can't be any worse than any of the Caribbean islands we've been to!

Regarding San Ignacio, is it better to stay in town or to go to one of the resorts away from town? It looks like the one I want to stay at is a 40 min cab ride from town, so pretty isolated...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.