Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Flying into Cancun June 4th with 2 kids, one is 11 and one is 3. Just the three of us. So my question, which route to Belize would be the SAFEST. Cancun to Chetumal to SP via water taxi? Or Cancun to BC on the overnight bus then water taxi to SP?
I have concerns with both.. anyone done both of these routes and can give some advice?

U
U
Both are safe, and dont see one being any safer then the other.

What time do you arrive in Cancun? In regards to your three year old, would he fair better on an overnight bus or a day bus?

If you arrive in Cancun relatively early, id take the shuttle bus to Playa Del Carmen and hang out there for the day on the beach with the kiddos. The ADO night bus to Belize City leaves Playa at 11.40pm. The kids will be toast from being at the beach all day, you can crash on the bus and arrive in Belize City in the morning. Then it's just a short bus ride to the water taxi terminal to San Pedro. Although by going this route, you'll have to get your kids up in the middle of the night and do a border crossing, so keep that in mind!

If you take the bus to Chetumal you'll have to spring for R/T taxi and hotel. Its a long boat ride to San Pedro, and can be bumpy which your 3 year old child may not enjoy, but im guessing your 11 year old will!!

So I can see benefits to both routes.

B
OP Offline
B
I get to Cancun around 12:30pm.

I really don't know if the little one would do better on the bus overnight or during the day. I have a feeling is going to be pretty irritated either way lol.

My first plan was to do exactly what you said. Hang out all day in Playa then catch the bus. My concern is what are we going to do from the time it gets dark to 11:40. Lol. And the border crossing... If we didn't have to deal w the luggage passing through I'd be catching the overnight for sure... I feel like it would be hell.. Then again I hate to pay for a hotel! And taxi rides here and there smirk

Maybe there's no easy answer, I might just flip a coin. Either way I think it'll make for an amusing blog post lol.

Thanks for your reply!

U
U
As a father that has traveled to many countries with my child, I can tell you which one will be worse...The night bus! The reason being is this; waking your children up at 4.30am and having to do "the walk of doom" across the border (2 sets of immigration and customs with your luggage) your children won't be happy. You may have to carry your 3 year old part of the way, and with your luggage that won't be fun. Also both your children have been traveling for about 24 hours at that point, so they'll be tired.

By going to Chetumal you are breaking the trip up in two parts which will be easier on everybody. There are hotel rooms in Chetumal for around $25usd, and they are reasonably nice, so it's not a huge expense. R/t taxi should not be more then $15usd. Id still go to Playa, have some fun at the beach, and try to catch a bus around 5pm to Chetumal. You should get in to Chetumal around 10pm (that's an estimate, not sure exact time of that trip). That may be a little ambitious though, so you might just want to go direct to Chetumal, get there around 7pm...grab a nice dinner (they have good restaurants there), find a hotel, and watch some random Spanish TV at your hotel room before you crash out...get a good nights rest and up bright and early for a beautiful boat ride to San Pedro.

B
OP Offline
B
Yea good points! So I guess its Belize via Chetumal for us. May stop over in Tulum for a night! I've always wanted to go there smile

Thanks for the input!

U
U
+1 for Tulum. If you stay on the beach, the closer you get to the mayan ruins the less expensive the places are, although I havent been there in a while so that may of changed. You can also stay in the town center of Tulum and take a taxi to the beach area, as opposed to staying directly on the beach.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.