Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#490021 - 04/27/14 08:10 AM Seaweed harvesting
reefenit Offline
Hello all!

I am looking at getting into the possibility of planting and harvesting seaweed, and I was just wondering if anyone is already doing this here in San Pedro. I would love to meet with you/them if anyone knows of anybody doing this could you please hook me up. Thanks...........

#490024 - 04/27/14 08:35 AM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
Phil Offline
The Fishermans Coop in Placencia do it commercially. I have contact details for the Manager if needed. It would be worth a visit to see them and see it in action

#490027 - 04/27/14 09:14 AM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: Phil]
reefenit Offline
Ya Phil, That would be great if you could post the managers contact info. I would like to speak to him before going down there. Thanks for the tip. Mitch
Namiste/Have a blessed day

#490033 - 04/27/14 12:38 PM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
pamkillen Offline
Just a educational question: is turtle grass considered seaweed?

#490034 - 04/27/14 12:44 PM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: pamkillen]
BassMachine Offline
Originally Posted By: pamkillen
Just a educational question: is turtle grass considered seaweed?

No, turtle grass is a species of marine grass. Best way to tell the two apart is by the fact marine grass has roots where as seaweed has what is called a holdfast. A holdfast is sort of like a root but it clings to solid objects such as rocks rather than burrowing into soft substrate smile

Edited by BassMachine (04/27/14 12:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling Error

#490069 - 04/28/14 09:29 AM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
pamkillen Offline
Thanks. Now I will look more carefully

#490079 - 04/28/14 02:12 PM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
Maya House Offline
Great information BassMachine! So I have another educational question (well...more than one)that I would really appreciate some help on.

1. Which one is it that covers the beaches here in San Pedro, is it the Turtle Grass (mainly)?

2. I believe I've read somewhere that it isn't good to remove it from the beaches. Any thoughts on that?

3. And if it is better environmentally to leave it (dependent on the answer to question 2) has anyone found an effective way to remove the trash/garbage from it. The only thing we do right now is rake it all up and burn it, and that it to get rid of all the trash in it.

Thanks much for any help/information you may be able to provide.

#490085 - 04/28/14 03:35 PM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
Phil Offline
Turtle Grass is broad and flat and the most prevalent while Manatee Grass is round and thin is less so. Sargasso/Sargassum is the seasonal one with bubbles, as it's a floating seaweed and swamps our beaches for a week or two every ~November(?)

If in a local Dive Shop see if they have the Paul Humann Reef Collection of Fish ID Books. One is Reef Corals and includes Plants and has detail on these and more.

The problem with collection - in Town - is the amount of sand that goes too. I think it's the biggest contribution to beach erosion. I would like to see SPTC remove plastic and rubbish and bury it on the beach higher up the shoreline to help with our increasing erosion issues so at least we don't add to nature taking it. If doing this work myself North or South I'd do this over burning it.

#490088 - 04/28/14 05:25 PM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: Phil]
Bear Offline
Phil, without the native mangroves that once surrounded the island your point about seaweed of all types is spot on...not attractive or pleasant to smell by any means but the erosion buffer provided by Sargasso and other species is without a doubt part of the protection the beaches would normally enjoy...move a mangrove lose a beach...

#490123 - 04/29/14 08:54 AM Re: Seaweed harvesting [Re: reefenit]
Phil Offline
True but the mangrove is long gone so that's moot. We now have to do what we can to slow Mother nature a bit WITHOUT reverting to seawalls.

There are a couple of spots near me with plenty of mangrove and still the beach has regressed twenty/thirty feet so even then it can happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Diver Damon, 1 invisible), 41 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.