Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#490048 04/28/14 04:40 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A shooting incident in San Pedro town on Saturday night claimed the life of one man.

The victim has been identified as Dennis Palacio, also known as Chingy.

Reports from San Pedro say the shooting happened around 11:30 pm on Saturday in the San Juan Area.

Palacio, according to reports, sustained four gunshot wounds.

Police investigations continue.

Patrick Jones

===============

Some time around 11:30PM on Saturday, April 26th, Dennis 'Chingy' Palacio was fatally shot in the San Juan Area. He sustained 4 gunshot wounds total.

Earlier before, on Trigger Fish street, gunshots rang out around 9:30pm. Witnesses indicated that the shooter was on a bicycle, and seemed to be aiming at a taxi in the same general area. Police continue their investigation.

San Pedro Sun Facebook

damn. Drugs ?

M
M
There are so many neighborhood areas. Exactly which one/where is the 'San Juan Area'?

San Juan's statue is in the middle of the round-about in front of Ritchie's Store. If you take the street that passes to the west from that round-about you are in San Juan.

M
M
Thanks Diane!

T
T
So is this west of Wet Willys, Blue Tang Inn, Ambergris Brewing Company ? Is that the round about you are talking about ?

A
A
I would also like to know where this round about is located. Thanks!

R
R
The roundabout being discussed is bordered by Richie's Market; San Pedro Hardware and Caye Mart. The street Diane is talking about runs from the circle toward the Lagoon.

The circle is also located a few hundred yards north of the Police Station.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Man Who Lived In Attic Killed On San Pedro

And while those are the late breaking details of that double fatality on the Western Highway, we have two murders to report tonight.

The first one happened at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday night, where 43 year-old Dennis Palacio was killed in a street-style execution on San Pedro.

Police have no leads at this time, and are hoping that members of the public come forward to assist them in their investigation. But while that is the aftermath of Palacio's murder, our news team went out to the island to find out what may have motivated it in the first place. Daniel Ortiz reports:

Daniel Ortiz reporting
At about half hour before Midnight on Saturday, 43 year-old Dennis Palacio, aka "Chingy", was killed on Seaweed Street in the San Juan area.

A gunman ambushed and shot Palacio while he was leaning on the fence at the entrance of this unknown alley.

Neighbors say that Palacio tried to flee into this yard, where the gunman chased him down and shot him 3 more times in the back. That's where the police came and retrieved his lifeless body, about 5 minutes later.

One resident from the alley, who Palacio socialized with regularly, said he saw him alive a few hours before he was killed.

Guillermo Diaz - Friend of the Deceased
"I was out there and they came and tell me that they just shoot the man. I saw him walking drinking in the evening before he went out, he was happy - just like that."

Palacio, who is originally from Maskall Village, struggled with life on San Pedro. When he first moved into the alley, he slept in the this attic.

It was hardly any shelter from the occasional bad weather and that's what made Diaz and his girlfriend show him a little bit of kindness.

They gave him this little room to stay rent free, which he used up until Saturday, when he met his death.

That's a big part of the reason why his friends don't believe that he was killed in a robbery. They say that the little cash that he had was because he sold a little weed, here and there.

"He always use to sell his little weed, but that is not a reason just to die like that."

He developed a reputation as a minor drug peddler in the San Juan area, and so, he had a few run ins with officers from the Anti-Drug Unit who didn't like his influence in the area.

"I heard that they (the police) told the man to roll to his village, they don't want to see him here and he was surviving just like that. He has to survive, he has to do something."

Despite that enterprise, Diaz says that Palacio shouldn't have been executed so ruthlessly.

"It doesn't matter if he does wrong things or something but he is a human being, he can't die just like that. Naturally you just can't kill a person; he is a human being, he is not a dog."

Residents of the San Juan area lament that this area of San Pedro has become very active with crime and violence. Last week Thursday night, 2 days before Palacio was killed, there was another shooting in the area.

It happened at around 9 p.m., and the San Pedro Sun reports that residents had to flee for their lives when gunshots rang out.

Residents told the island newspaper that 6 gunmen dressed in full black, wearing bandanas on their faces, came from the mangrove area along the lagoon side. The men then pulled out several guns and aimed them towards a group of men sitting on golf carts parked in front of the Campos residence, located on Caniste Street. No one was injured, and after the men unloaded their weapons, they reportedly jumped into a waiting vessel and fled the scene. 12 expended 9mm shells were recovered.

Channel 7

Ambergris Caye registers second murder for 2014

According to residents in the San Juan area, they heard over six gunshots sometime around 11:20PM but ran for cover. When they came out, neighbors found a badly injured Palacio fighting for his life. According to the Station Manager of the San Pedro Police Department, Sergeant of Police Raymond Berry, when police visited the residence of 84-year-old Francisco Arceo a few moments after the shooting, they found Palacio already dead. "In the yard of Mr. Arceo, we found the motionless body of a dark-complexioned male person, later identified as Dennis Palacio. He was seen lying on the ground with four apparent gunshot wounds; one to the left side of his lower back, two wounds to the right upper back and one entry to the right pinky finger," said Berry. At the time of the incident, Palacio was wearing a white T-Shirt and khaki three-quarter short pants.

Berry explained that Palacio was repordedly standing alone on Seaweed Street and ran into the yard after he was shot, collapsing moments later. "Investigation reveals that he was standing against Mr Arceo's fence at about 11:25PM when a male dark-skinned person wearing a in black shirt approached him and fired five shots, four of which caught him." Police recovered five expended 9-millimeter shells from the scene.

Palacio was just about 100 feet from the alley off Seaweed Street, where his apartment is located. According to one of his neighbors, Palacio was known as a local drug dealer in the area. "He used to drink and do drugs a lot. I always used to tell him to change his life, but he would not listen to our advice, because he was living a complicated lifestyle. A few hours before his death, about 9:30PM, he was out searching the garbage behind the yard. I will not lie to you, he used to sell drugs and a lot of people used to come by to look for him," said a neighbor. She said that despite his habits and his activities, he was cool with everyone in the area.

Palacio's shooting death is just one of three shooting incidents in a span of three days on the island. "We are very much concerned about these shooting. We hear gunshots everyday in the San Juan Area and it is something that worries us. While I cannot go into details at this time, we are working with the Police in looking at ways to address these issues," said the Mayor of San Pedro Town, Daniel Guerrero.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

San Pedro alleged drug dealer killed on the island

Dennis Palacio

Crime and violence are disrupting the once peaceful island of San Pedro. Just before midnight on Saturday night, a Bomba resident was murdered as he stood outside a house on Seaweed Street in the San Juan Area. Dennis Palacio, who was no stranger to the law was shot to the back and shoulder and succumbed soon after. Investigations so far reveal that Palacio was ambushed by a man wearing a black T-shirt and red short pants. Duane Moody has a report on the first murder over the weekend.

FOR VIDEO CLICK HERE.

Duane Moody, Reporting

Near this blue fence on Seaweed Street in the San Juan Area of San Pedro, forty-three year old Dennis Palacio was standing when he was shot multiple times to the body by a lone gunman. Palacio ran, but collapsed inside a nearby yard. Sergeant Raymond Berry of San Pedro Police explains.

Sgt. Raymond Berry, Staff Sergeant, San Pedro Police

Raymond Berry

"They came across the lifeless body of a dark-skinned male person who we later identified to be Dennis Palacio. He was seen lying on the ground with four apparent gunshot wounds. One to the left side of the upper lower back, two to the right upper back near the shoulder and one entry to the right pinky finger. Police investigation reveals that he was standing beside Arceo fence sometime around eleven-twenty-five p.m. that night when a male dark-skinned person dressed in black shirt approached him and fired five shots; four of which caught him. So far the police visited the scene and processed the area; five expended nine millimeter shells retrieved from the scene."

According to Yadira Portillo, who spoke with us off camera, Palacio had been living down this alley for approximately two years. She alleges he was involved with drugs.

Voice of: Yadira Portillo, Neighbor of Murder Victim (Translated)

"I gave him this room so that he can stay and take care of the yard. But he drank a lot and used drugs. Since I go to church, I always told him to find god and change his life because he was living a dangerous life. The day when they killed him, around nine-thirty in the night, I saw him going through garbage outside, but I didn't tell him anything. When I woke up in the morning, someone passed and told me that he was killed. He sold drugs. He sold drugs and a lot of people came here to buy drugs. I kept on telling him that I didn't like what he was doing."

While he has only a few relatives living on the island, he was original from the village of Bomba in Belize District. Police confirm that Palacio has had a string of run-ins with the law. Portillo, however, says that that aside, he has always had respect for her.

Yadira Portillo

Voice of: Yadira Portillo (Translated)

"I knew him personally and he never disrespected me or has he told me anything negative. He wasn't like that with anyone that lived here. He had his ways, but he was always a respectful person. I never knew if he had enemies, but sometimes he seemed beat up. He had a cut wound across his eye at one time. They constantly would beat him maybe because of the drugs. I think that he was killed because of the drugs that he sold because he was selling a lot of drugs."

Two persons are currently detained in connection with this murder. Duane Moody for News Five.

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.