Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize offers amazing opportunities for bird watching thanks to the 570 species of birds that live in the country. According to the Belize Audubon Society, approximately 20% percent of the 570 species are migrants from North America and every year new species are being documented. In 2007 for example, 8 new records were accepted which included the Crested Caracara, Canada Goose, and Spot-breasted Oriole.

In this blog post, we are delighted to share with you the 7 most beautiful birds of Belize. And of course, there are so much more colorful and attractive birds in Belize.

Ara_macao_-Fort_Worth_Zoo-8

The Scarlet Macaw

Broad-billed-Hummingbird-©-Tom-Grey

The Hummingbird

belize birds

The Red-Footed Booby

national bird of belize

The Toucan

Falco_deiroleucus_-_Orange-breasted_Falcon

Orange-breasted Falcon

Busarellus-nigricollis-MT-Pocone-Pantanal

Black-collared Hawk

Red-legged-Honeycreeper---Male-1

The Red legged honeycreeper

Belize Travel Blog

The Agami Heron (agamia agami, Garza Agami)
My Top of the list for beautiful birds in Belize.
The Agami is an American Indian name for Forest bird. They hunt for fish with long dagger-shaped bills.
The plethora of bird books use objective words to describe birds. It's the nature of scientific description. For instance a particular Parrot described in the popular 'Guide book to Birds of Central America' by Howell and Webb, is said to have pale flesh zygodactyl feet, short wings, a blue rump, gray orbital eye ring and hooked bill. The romance is just not there.
Oddly, every bird book in my library described the Agami Heron as 'Beautiful', a subjective description. These books are written by ornithologists and they must have a love for particular birds. Something about this bird swept them off their feet. In Carolyn Millers book, '100 Birds of Belize, she said, "The Agami is surely one of the most beautiful Herons in the world".

In Belize, The Looters Trench Bar at the Chan Chich Lodge near Gallon Jug is a famous gathering place for Birders from around the world. My first exposure to the Agami was oddly there on a stroll to the men's room. I was first struck by this beauty in a lithograph hanging on the wall. My impression was that's a Japanese brush artist's rendition of some exotic Asian bird. On returning to the bar I quizzed Norman about it and discovered it was an Agami of the Chan Chich Laguna Seca. I spoke with Carol Miller in the Looters Trench that evening, she said the Lake was a breeding ground for the Agami and they could almost always be found on its east shore.
It's not on this list probably because of it's rare status and your average birder hasn't seen one.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Hang out in the Looters Trench and you'll see lotsa weird things...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.