Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#490292 - 05/03/14 06:08 AM Social Security Canít Issue Cards
Marty Offline

One of the most basic functions of the Social Security Board is to issue social security cards - every adult living and working in Belize should have one. But, what happens when somehow SSB runs out of the stuff to make the cards? Well, we're finding out right now because that's just what has happened. For over a month - those going in for cards have been given a provisional letter instead. Social Security tells us that the stock of what are known as "overlays" finished in mid March. Overlays are the protective plastic that goes on top of the card.

Now, we suppose, these sorts of shortages happen even to multi million dollar organizations like Social Security, but the really incredible part is that SSB tells us that the new stock of "overlays" was ordered in the last week of January 2014 - and they still haven't arrived! That's more than three months ago! And, guess what? They aren't arriving until the end of May, making it four months - a quarter of the year - between ordering and arrival. Makes us wonder, where do these magical overlays come from!? Wherever it is, we'd have to guess that rush delivery wasn't available, and SSB coolly tells us that they expect to resume issuing of cards by May 27, 2014.

We'll let you know if that happens.

Channel 7

#490340 - 05/03/14 05:57 PM Re: Social Security Canít Issue Cards [Re: Marty]
Loansum-Al K Offline
OMG, the smell of corruption is sooooooooo prevalent......no one has a clue....I would like to know what company is supplying these "overlays". Don't stop the carnival!
I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!

#490402 - 05/04/14 09:50 PM Re: Social Security Canít Issue Cards [Re: Marty]
Short Offline
Perhaps it's because the overlays have holograms engraved with the Belize flag and the word "Belize", to make it more difficult to produce fake cards. I imagine there are not a lot of companies who do this work and most have a secret production process. Add to that that Belize, taking our small population in account, is not a big client. That might explain why it takes so long. I am just guessing of course.
Live and let live

#490510 - 05/06/14 12:00 PM Re: Social Security Canít Issue Cards [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
This reminds me of the adage "Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency for me."
I often shake my head when a workman tells me he is out of nails. Did he not notice yesterday that he was running low on nails?
Or the man who begged me to loan him money to pay the doctor because his wife was in labor. I commented that he had 9 months to prepare for this. "Oh no," he said "The baby wasn't due for two more weeks!"
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#492150 - 06/11/14 02:59 PM Re: Social Security Canít Issue Cards [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Social Security Still No Cards?

Last month we told you about the waiting list for Social Security Cards at the Social Security Board. Those waiting for new cards have been on a list for months, and up to today a few folks we checked with still haven't gotten a call to come in. What's the hold-up? Well, according to Social Security, they are out of overlays. That's the protective plastic that goes over the card - a very basic item. It was ordered in January - and was expected to arrive in the third week of May- presumably by pony express. So has it arrived as scheduled? And if so, why are those on the waiting list still not getting their cards? That;s what we tried to ask the public relations officer at Social security this afternoon - only to find out, from other sources that she's no longer the PR officer - and - no new one is in place yet.

It seems that Social Security is in the middle a major re-organization - with major transfers at every level - and even a new organogram. This change-up we gather is not being met by widespread acclaim or adulation within SSB - where there are grumblings of discontent with the process and the personnel decisions.

Channel 7

#492164 - 06/12/14 05:56 AM Re: Social Security Canít Issue Cards [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
Social Security Says Your Card Is Ready

Last night we told you about the three month delay for new social security cards at the Social Security Board. As we reported, it was caused by a shortage of the protective plastic that goes over the card, a very basic item. Well, the Social Security announced today that those of you who have been patiently Ė or impatiently Ė waiting on your new cards, you can come in to check for them.

SSB says that the cards have been available since June 2, and they also apologize for inconveniences caused.

A few persons we know who've been waiting told us they called after the second, and were told their cards were still not readyÖ

Channel 7

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.