Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

From Employee to Owner in 12 years

The way the business world works, employees often head to work every day, not knowing if their employers are planning on selling and leaving, or if they'll stay for the long haul. At least, that's how it can seem in a rapidly evolving community like San Pedro Town. For the past 15 years, Aida Graf owned Caribe Creations. With the motto "From Cloth to Clothes in 24 Hours", Caribe Creations had to have a reliable seamstress to ensure that the items ordered would be ready and made well. That's where Maria Aide Alfaro came into play.

Originally from Honduras, Maria Aide, or Ms. Vic as she is affectionately known, decided at the age of 17 that higher education was not for her. She ran off to register herself at sewing school in Honduras, not knowing a stitch about the craft, but managed to become quite adept at the skill. She arrived in Belize with her three daughters, seeking a better life for herself. She somehow managed to make it to the island of Ambergris Caye in 1990 - and the rest, as they say, is history. "For the past 12 years, Ms. Vic has been the backbone and talent of the business," says Aida. She makes every stitch of clothing available to sell and on order.

That is why, when Aida decided to retire and head back home to California, USA, she couldn't think of someone better to continue the business. Overcome with emotion, Aida recounts how Ms. Vic went from seamstress to confidante and close friend, someone who went above and beyond the call of duty. "She was the one caring for me when I fell ill, bringing me soup, checking on me all the time, and just keeping me company in this business in all our years together," said Aida. Her decision was clear

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the San Pedro Sun

What a great story smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 276 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.