Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#490544 - 05/07/14 11:13 AM 17 pharmacies, but only 2 pharmacists in San Pedro
Marty Offline

The appointment of the new director of drug inspectorate has brought to the forefront a wide range of shortfalls within the system in respect of imported pharmaceuticals and persons practicing without a license. According to the Pharmacists’ Association of Belize, there is need for drug inspectors across the country to ensure that proper procedures are followed and that medications sold at pharmacies are approved by the ministry. A case in point says P.A.B. President, Hortence Humes, there are seventeen pharmacies in San Pedro, but only two licensed pharmacists on the island.

Hortence Humes, President, Phamarcists’ Association of Belize

“The drug inspector, they make inspections to see that you are getting controlled drugs; I need to see who are getting these drugs, who are you selling to. That means that you need to have a record of, by law, you should have all those records of where are these going to and if at any time we say, we need to go and…”

Dickie Bradley, Host

“Who looks at the book?”

Hortence Humes

Hortence Humes

“It’s the drug inspector; they should go in there and they should look at the book. But that hasn’t been done because you only have one person and you have so many drug stores. Like in San Pedro, you have seventeen drug stores and two pharmacists on the island. So all of these things.”

Dickie Bradley

“Go slow. So there are seventeen pharmacies—places where they sell pharmaceuticals—but yo only have two people weh qualified?”

Hortence Humes

“…on the island.”

Dickie Bradley

“So weh dehn do, deh spend wah hour dah one, spend wah hour dah di next one and cover all of them? Who polices the police?”

Marisol Melhado

Marisol Melhado, Vice President, Phamarcists’ Association of Belize

“This is exactly our concern.”

Dickie Bradley

“This is where an inspectorate would come in?

Marisol Melhado

“Yes.”

Dickie Bradley

“So you all are telling me that it is possible that seventeen drug stores have been operating? And of all places, San Pedro where all the tourists they want their drugs…and if it is one things with Americans, they have to get their drugs.”

The association also clarified on the Dickie Bradley show that they are not against the appointment of a drug inspectorate, but it must follow due process.

Channel 5

#490582 - 05/07/14 06:58 PM Re: 17 pharmacies, but only 2 pharmacists in San Pedro [Re: Marty]
El Gringo Offline
Just wondering...so which are the pharmacies actually have licensed pharmacists? Or do they float around among multiple pharmacies? Or...

While in AC I have purchased some of the meds that I normally use in the US for things like blood pressure meds that require a prescription in the US. I usually just check the expiration dates.

Are some of the pharmacies better than others?

#490641 - 05/08/14 03:12 PM Re: 17 pharmacies, but only 2 pharmacists in San Pedro [Re: Marty]
lil'red Offline
Unique Pharmacy is across from Lino's Meats and Gecko Graphics. The man who works there seems to have a solid education in pharmaceuticals and knows both generic and brand name drugs, and understands interactions and substitutes. I also use the pharmacy at the corner of middle street, across from Pirate Pizza. The woman there also seems to have an education in drugs. If I had to hazard a guess who the two licensed pharmacists were, I would bet on these two. I have been to every one in town, know where to buy what I need and the prices and how they vary. Brodie's will also send any prescription on Tropic Air as long as they have a copy on file. They are usually 25% cheaper for brand names and 40% cheaper for generics.
I think it is about time the pharmacies here were regulated. I research every drug I ask for and I have actually walked out of a couple of shops because the counter girl had absolutely no understanding what so ever of what I was asking for.

#490644 - 05/08/14 05:44 PM Re: 17 pharmacies, but only 2 pharmacists in San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Amanda Syme Offline
The poly clinic has a licensed pharmacist.

#491429 - 05/27/14 02:26 AM Re: 17 pharmacies, but only 2 pharmacists in San Pedro [Re: Amanda Syme]
El Gringo Offline
For what it's worth, I picked up something I needed on this trip at the Spiez Pharmarcy on Middle Street. It was in sealed box with good expiration dates. It's near Planet Pizza. The woman behind the counter seemed very knowledgeable.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 41 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.