Dr. Kristen Kenner and a little friend she met in Belixe.

Dr. Kristin Kenner joined two of her classmates from dental school to do a dental mission to San Pedro, Belize. The doctors wanted to do something special as it has been exactly 30 years since they graduated from dental school along with Dr. Mark Johnson.

Dr. Johnson established a much needed dental clinic at the Holy Cross Anglican School in San Pedro. "Several of my classmates have gone down to this impoverished area to offer free dental treatment for the teachers and children of San Pedro. It was a very humbling experience, helping these appreciative people of Belize," Dr. Kenner stated.

The three dentists packed suitcases full of supplies to help with the mission. The clinics were very primitive, having most of the used equipment shipped down from the United States. "It was so different than our clinics here but we got the job done."

The task was to do comprehensive care primarily for the children. "We provided a number of services, focusing on preventive care that is beneficial to the kids their whole life. Educating the children on brushing, flossing, and also how different foods impact the health of their teeth was done. The children spoke English perfectly, so communication was not a barrier. The amount of decayed and abscessed teeth were abundant, so we had long days trying to fix as many teeth as we could. The next time the clinic will be open will be in October."

"I hope to share my dental skills to the truly underserved in the future," Kenner concluded.

Source