Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Topic Options
#490887 - 05/15/14 06:09 AM Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons
Marty Offline

While Castellanos and Gonzalez have both pleaded guilty to immigration offenses, there is a report from Caye Caulker that Immigration Officials have rounded up at least ten persons for fake nationality documents. In a sweep of the island on Tuesday, immigration personnel rounded up a group of persons who were in possession of the fraudulent Belizean documents. Police confirmed late this evening that there are currently six men and four women in detention. Now, according to reports, these persons, who have been living on the island for some time now, paid thousands of dollars to a woman in exchange for the documents. A Caye Caulker resident, who wishes remain anonymous, told News Five about the crackdown.

Via Phone: Concerned Caye Caulker Resident

“My concern is that it looks like Immigration is coming here to this island, Caye Caulker, picking up some people with false nationality. The thing is that I think there was a big scam. There was a lady that used to come to Caye Caulker and say that all the illegal people, she could actually help them in taking out their nationality and stuff like that. And what she used to do was ask people for money and two week’s time give them a false nationality. And it looks like several persons get caught up in it. Several people thought they could have gotten help, and she used to give them false nationalities and now they have people locked up. Immigration came to Caye Caulker and came and looked for the people. I don’t really have confirmed numbers, but they have at least ten persons in San Pedro in jail locked up for that. And I hear that they are here as well today looking for the other persons.  They are looking for the people and they are like coming into the houses and kinda invading them and stuff like that and taking them out like criminals.”

Duane Moody

“Now these are all adults or are kids included?”

“Kids, I know that there is a kid that is probably about fourteen years. That’s probably the youngest one.”

Duane Moody

“Now you said that you are concerned. These persons were living on the island for a long while or it is just recently that they’ve moved there?”

“Some of them were. I know for a fact that some of them were. I don’t really know about the others, but the ones I know were living here for some time now.  To me it is unfair. People thought they were gonna get help. I heard that they used to pay between one thousand to two thousand per nationality.”

Channel 5

#491201 - 05/22/14 05:25 AM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Seven charged for illegally obtained certificates

The ring of illegal nationality and identification documents uncovered on the island of Caye Caulker has widened as today seven more persons went to court charged with using certificates they were not entitled to use.

The seven are 24 year old Salvadoran Freddy Lobos, Salvadoran Juan Castellanos, Honduran 26 year old Jenny Castellanos Arita and Guatemalans Juana Lopez, 25; Rudy Juarez Reyes, 20; Luis Ramirez, 28; and Mario Reymundo.

All pleaded guilty to two counts related to illegal usage of Belizean birth and nationality certificates except for Juana Lopez, who was charged with one count for a nationality certificate.

They had turned themselves in to authorities in Caye Caulker.

Magistrate Dale Cayetano assessed fines of $1,000 each on all counts, a total of 13, in default six months imprisonment on each count except for Lopez who would serve three months.

At news time only one of the individuals has paid his fine.

In related news the alleged ringleader of the documentary ring, Guatemalan housewife Marleni Castellanos, is expected to be brought back to court later this week for more charges of aiding and abetting usage of illegally obtained documents through her various “connections.”

She along with husband Alfredo Gonzalez Marcos changed their pleas to their original charges even as she was given additional charges relating to the documentary ring.

Patrick Jones

#491498 - 05/28/14 12:56 AM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Marty]
Cooper Offline
What about all the Gringos doing business illegally? They have money to buy off Immigration, their names have been turned in yet they are left alone..only the poor get busted.

#491500 - 05/28/14 05:28 AM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Cooper]
beachbumin Offline
Originally Posted By: Cooper
What about all the Gringos doing business illegally? .

If what you say is true, why not start a list on the message board of the offenders and boycott their places of business. Everyone should follow the laws.

#491513 - 05/28/14 06:51 AM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Marty]
witness Offline
Yes, which Gringos are here illegally?
They are usually the first one's to get harrased by local law enforcment.
Speak up, don't just stir up some crap.

#491516 - 05/28/14 07:48 AM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Marty]
reefenit Offline
This is a loaded topic.I am a Gringo here legally with duel citizenship. It only took me about 8 years and much money to immigration for work permit, then residency, then citizenship. It was a long haul and expensive for sure, but well worth it I love my new country/home even with all the difficulties and fear of Hurricanes. So grateful to have stumbled upon Belize...............Worlds best kept secret, but I thing at this stage the word is getting out. Be careful with our environment and lovey Mother Earth. Have a great day. Thanks for this site Marty..............One love
Namiste/Have a blessed day

#491539 - 05/28/14 10:38 PM Re: Immigration sweep on Caye Caulker nabs 10 persons [Re: Marty]
Cooper Offline
I as well took a few years and many dollors to get legal here, so it makes me mad when others just set up shop. This messageboard is outdated and most dont read it anymore, go to Facebook..Caye caulker peeps. Last year I went to immigration with a list of offenders, they did come here 3 days later, but still only got the poor offenders...not the ones that were paying them off....Tge Boycot thing has been discussed so many times and for so long....YAWN...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day