Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#490941 - 05/16/14 11:29 AM BDF soldiers leave streets of Belize City
Marty Offline
Belize City residents may have noticed that there are no Belize Defence Force soldiers on the streets as there have been previously, conspicuously standing next to police officers in crime-ridden areas.

That has been so since April 30 of this year, putting an end to 20 years of extra domestic duty for the national army.

It’s comparable to the draw-down of American and British soldiers leaving Iraq and Afghanistan except that those are international conflicts and not internal.

CEO in the Ministry of National Security Retired Colonel George Lovell confirmed the shift in speaking with reporters today.

He said that while the days of soldiers keeping watch in crime-ridden areas of Belize City may not be fully over, it has been decided to remove them except for special occasions like holidays, when a smaller force will be deployed in a support capacity to Police.

Patrick Jones

#490953 - 05/16/14 12:23 PM Re: BDF soldiers leave streets of Belize City [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

BDF Leave Streets of Belize City, for Now

Belize Defense ForceIf you are a Belize City resident, you may have noticed that there are no Belize Defence Force soldiers on the streets as there have been previously, conspicuously standing next to police officers in crime-ridden areas.

That has been so since April 30 of this year, putting an end to 20 years of extra domestic duty for the national army.

It’s comparable to the draw-down of American and British soldiers leaving Iraq and Afghanistan except that those are international conflicts and not internal.

CEO in the Ministry of National Security Retired Colonel George Lovell confirmed the shift in speaking with reporters today.

vlcsnap-2014-05-15-20h27m02s81Retired Colonel George Lovell- CEO in the Ministry of National Security

“I don’t think that there will be a time when I can say it is finally over.  The B.D. F. have been on the streets for some twenty add years and we have reached a point when we can safely say that that regular presence of the B.D.F. have now been bit behind us.  I was made to understand that there was an arrangement between the police on the ground and that of the B.D.F. that they were going to make the final deployment of troops on that particular day and that it did in fact happen that where the B.D.F. were in fact removed.  So, if you were to go there today, there will be no B.D.F.”.

While the BDF have not truly given up, they may make occasional reappearances, as CEO Lovell explains.

Retired Colonel George Lovell:  “But God forbid.  If there is an increasing in crime and violence, and there is a need for the police to be supported by the B.D.F. hey will be out there.  What I can also say is that during those festive seasons, the September celebrations and the Christmas periods, we will have B.D.F. again, supporting the police.  So, I don’t want to say that the B. D. F. days on the streets are all gone because I might seem to be or called to be untruthful. This is because of the concept under which they will now operate.  We have seen them there to support in providing law and order and safety for our citizens.  So, from time to time they will be there supporting the police…not in the numbers and not in a regular basis”.

Most of the redeployed soldiers will be sent to protect the Western borderline with Guatemala.

PlusTV

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.