Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#491190 - 05/21/14 08:54 PM Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank?
OttoGear Offline
There is a Belizean bank that has been rumored to have lost its USD correspondent bank which means hundreds are not able to get their money out of the bank.

Anyone know which bank recently had these problems and if they fixed them by getting another correspondent bank?

Thanks, Otto

#491227 - 05/22/14 02:19 PM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
Nobody You Know Offline
The main reason a bank would lose it's US correspondent bank relationship is FATCA non-compliance.Though I have no first hand knowledge I find it highly unlikely that any of the major Belizean banks are not complying and have jeopardized their US banking relationships...

#491603 - 05/30/14 12:41 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
Agavegirl Offline
Received yesterday from accounting at my Condo:

This update is to inform you of recent changes in U.S. and Belizean banking regulations. Effective immediately, we are no longer permitted to operate with our U.S. bank account since we are a Belizean company with our operations in Belize. We were recently informed by our bank of this change in banking regulations, and since they need to comply with the new regulations, they are requiring us to comply immediately. This means that, until further notice, we are no longer able to provide US dollar disbursements (check or wire transfer). We are looking into the issue further and exploring alternatives so we can restructure some of our operations related to U.S. dollars and potentially provide this U.S.

funds disbursement service to you again in the future. We will provide you updates as they develop.

Currently most owners receive their disbursements in Belize dollars. So for most, nothing has changed. If you have a local (Belize) account we can still process a local (Belize) deposit into that account. Or next time you visit Belize, we can issue you a local check that can be cashed and exchanged into U.S. dollars.

We realize this is not convenient for some of you - and it has also presented us with a challenge since we pay many of our travel agents and wholesalers in U.S. dollars. We also do significant purchasing in U.S.

dollars. Nonetheless, we're working hard to adapt quickly and still continue business as usual. This should have no effect on reservations nor any impact on the guest experience. Please bear with us as we make this change.

#491605 - 05/30/14 01:18 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
reefenit Offline
greedy people........I should have gone into banking in stead of an environmentalist. "Change the world". Eric Clapton...................John Lennon"imagine" Then what? I think Bob Marley said "I give you more to receive you less" Go bankers, build bunkers.....Hurricanes coming.... just venting. hope everyone gets there check cashed in whatever form it needs to be in.........

#491606 - 05/30/14 01:20 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: Agavegirl]
beachbumin Offline
Originally Posted By: Agavegirl

This update is to inform you of recent changes in U.S. and Belizean banking regulations.

Can you clarify who you received this from? Was this from a bank or financial institution?

#491607 - 05/30/14 01:40 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: beachbumin]
Diane Campbell Offline
Originally Posted By: beachbumin
Originally Posted By: Agavegirl

This update is to inform you of recent changes in U.S. and Belizean banking regulations.

Can you clarify who you received this from? Was this from a bank or financial institution?

If I read it correctly, this is from the accounting dept of a management company at a condo. It's long been the "rule" that a Belizean-based company cannot be also "offshore" (as in banking offshore). Some banks have ignored this rule and now are conforming. Ergo - the Belizean company has to close its USD account at a Belizean offshore bank. The Belize company in question should be able to open a USD account elsewhere if they are willing to provide endless stacks of paper and exercise a bit of patience.
Whilst I hate this whole witch-hunt for money thing going on, the posting here is not a shocking event and seems unrelated to the original topic about correspondent banks.

#491608 - 05/30/14 02:12 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: Diane Campbell]
Agavegirl Offline
Thank you. I was wondering if it was related is all.

#491610 - 05/30/14 03:09 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
SimonB Offline
"greedy people........I should have gone into banking in stead of an environmentalist." Has nothing to do with the banks, world over they would love to go back a decade. It's the US government you need to point the finger at.

#491989 - 06/06/14 09:20 PM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
SimonB Offline
Breaking News: US Expats in Mexico Left Stranded In Latest FATCA Escalation

http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2014/6/4...-latest-fa.html

#491997 - 06/07/14 11:14 AM Re: Belizean Bank Loses Its USD Correspondent Bank? [Re: OttoGear]
Diane Campbell Offline
yikes -

cowrie shells, here we come --- or is it Bitcoin?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,045 Topics
462,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.