Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#491365 - 05/25/14 04:38 AM need help from frequent San Pedro visitors
eldaveo Offline
My wife and I have spent many trips at Negril Ja. We love snorkeling and want a better experience. We are looking to stay in or near town. A kitchen in a room near or on the beach would be great. We don't mind paying a higher rate but obviously, saving money on lodging free's up dollars for other activities.What would be some good choices for lodging? Is it rude to ask owners if they would accept a different amount? Is beach swimming a impossibility with all the beach grass? Will the drinking water be safe to drink or where wont it be safe? Is it worth the hassle of hauling our bags to the muni airport to get a cheaper hop to San Pedro?

#491366 - 05/25/14 05:26 AM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
tahunt Offline

I always stay at the Blue Tang Inn and love it. There website is www.bluetanginn.com . There rooms are medium priced starting at $119 and include breakfast. All rooms have a full kitchen and all cooking/eating utensils. Allan and Fanny are the managers and customer service is excellent. It is only about a 3 minute walk to downtown on the beach. Most do not drink water from the tap. I used it only to brush my teeth. The hotel has 5 gallon jugs of bottle water on every floor. Housekeeping will keep a large pitcher full in your room but the additional 5 gallon jugs are there for your use too. There is an excellent dock for swimming right in front of the hotel. You can save a little money flying out of the municipal airport instead of Belize city. You would probably save around 60 - 80 total after figuring in the cab ride to the other airport. My suggestion is if its only 2 of you just leave out of Belize City. You will be on the island a little quicker to start enjoying your stay !

#491369 - 05/25/14 06:15 AM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: tahunt]
eldaveo Offline
Thank you tahunt. How would you describe security ? Do you travel with US dollars or use a different method? I think for us- bringing cash usually is the easiest.Our trip date would be the first two weeks of Dec. Have you stayed during this period? Wondering how wet it will be? Are the bugs really much of an a issue? Thanks eldaveo

#491370 - 05/25/14 06:22 AM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
J DOG Offline
Ditto what tahunt said about the Blue Tang Inn We have stayed there too many times to count. Suite 6 is our home away from home!! What I would add about the Blue Tang Inn is that the ladies who do the cleaning and put the breakfast out are beyond compare. The rooms are clean, clean, clean. As well, there are safes in every room and Tino, the security guard for overnight, is always on the job. My husband and I have never had any problems in all the many times we have visited San Pedro.
We just returned from San Pedro and the Blue Tang Inn on May 12th. Another wonderful stay.
We always fly to the island on Tropic from Belize City. I want to be there as quickly as possible and, believe me, the view is so worth it.

#491373 - 05/25/14 06:59 AM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
tahunt Offline
Security is great. They have overnight security every night. I have a friend in town and the security guy knocks on my door to ask me if its ok for her to come up. So security is not an issue. I travel with some cash and use my credit cards some too. Warning for using cash. Everywhere takes US dollars but will give change in Belize dollars. Make sure all bills have no tears or any ink on them. Meaning watch out for bills that have been stamped or drawn on. They will not take them because the bank won't accept them. I have never had an issue with bugs but always pack a can of OFF. I have packed the same can for the last 3 years and have never used it. There is enough breeze to keep any insects away. I have stayed at times during the rainy season. I have never had more than a day or two of consistent rain. It was really never an issue. Most of the rain has been overnight when i was there. Only got really wet once when a heavy storm started pouring and I was south of town on a golf cart. But being on the island is so relaxing I really didnt care.

Is this your first trip to San Pedro ?

#491385 - 05/25/14 04:46 PM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: tahunt]
eldaveo Offline
Hey Tahunt, Yes this will our first and I suspect many more trips. Really looking forward to early day snorkeling,midday lunch ,afternoon bar hopping, and great sunset meal--Lets do it again tomorrow!!We need to get one trip in to get the feel for the area, then we may bring family and friends back. At least that's how it's worked before for us.We are familiar with walking directly from the beach into the ocean. Sounds like the sea grass makes the docks the answer to entering the ocean for swimming.We always fill out our suitcase weight with stuff for kids,staff ,and new friends.We will look into the Blue Tang-sounds fun unless someone else suggests different.Many Thanks Dave & Polly

#491416 - 05/26/14 11:50 AM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
Barbara K Offline
Blue Tang is a good choice close to town. I also recommend Caye Casa, Sunbreeze Suites or Hotel, The Palms, Paradise Villas, or The Phoenix if you want a splurge. Further from town but still walking, golf cart or biking distance...Banana Beach, Mata Rocks, Caribbean Villas, Xanadu, Corona del Mar. LOTS of choices! Ramon's (no kithcnes) or The Palms would have the best beach area with little to no seagrass.

#491419 - 05/26/14 12:16 PM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
Phil Offline
Little to no sea-grass for about ten yards.

#491422 - 05/26/14 02:50 PM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: Phil]
eldaveo Offline
WOW ! Great help from everyone. Hope I can do the same for a newbie someday.Looks like I gained a friend who has traveled with us many times. Polly and I would like our sleeping area separate from his. He's a great friend but , after 26 drinks-3 hours snorkeling-1 great evening meal-we want a wall and a door tween us :)I thought Blue Tang was perfect but need to look at some different options.I can't see getting two separate rooms. We enjoy using the refer and kitchen together. Refer=refrigerator ;)If San pedro is what I think it will be ,I can see us visiting Dec. and late Mar. Owe you all for your input .Dave & Polly

#491423 - 05/26/14 05:45 PM Re: need help from frequent San Pedro visitors [Re: eldaveo]
seashell Offline
Mata Rocks, Xanadu. I love both of the places. Xanadu has a pool. Mata rocks has a pool too but it is more a dipping pool than what one thinks of as a pool. That said, if you want to be in the thick of things, within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and businesses, still with kitchenette, right on the water, near water taxis but other than good security and a few other minor niceties, check out Mayan Princess. You'll find the lower end of your budget place there but no pool. This is where I stay most often when in Belize. The location works for me, YMMV.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 56 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.