Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
We are purchasing a property on North Ambergris Caye. It currently has a reliable, trustworthy maintenance man who also is a boat captain. He lives on the property in a provided casita. I was wondering what the usual salaries are for this position?

A
A
You need more information for us. Does he have a boat? Does he have a tour operator license? Are you renting your place out and he will be able to make money off the renters taking them fishing ?

G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for responding. He would use our boat and has a captains license. We would provide his housing in a new nice casita. We would not be living there for 4 months in which time he would be security and upkeep of the property, then we would live there full time. We would not be renting it so he would not have much to do. I am told he is highly skilled and knows the property well it just seems the previous owners paid a lot of money to him as he did do everything for them. We do not want to loose him but feel we cannot pay the same amount as he will not be doing as much work.

Sounds to me that you are in for a lot of surprises shocked

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
G
OP Offline
G
could you elaborate?

Is "Your boat" licensed in Belize? Did you have a conversation with the people you bought the home from to see what they were doing? The change of ownership will be quite a change to the caretaker/boat captain. Your best bet is to have a sit-down talk with him and come to an agreement. He would appreciate that I'm sure. Don't let this message board decide on his future.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you. The boat is coming with the property so it is currently licensed. We do want to keep the current caretaker but his responsibilities will be half of what he had to do before. It seems like a lot of money to pay to have him living there not doing much. Is security a huge issue? We will be installing security cameras on the property and are there other things we should know or do?

Can you tell us what the other people were paying him? Then we have a figure to work from and can tell you if it is right, to low or to high.

G
OP Offline
G
$240 US A WEEK

I will look into this and come back. We pay our kitchen prep chef US$150 a week. That is only 5 nights a week, 6 hours a night. US$240 a week 7 days a week looks about right. I will ask other locals in the morning.

Last edited by Inplub; 05/28/14 04:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.