Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I don't indulge in any illegal "drugs" and wouldn't know if I was visiting a business where drugs are distributed unless I was in a pharmacy. If it was so in my face, that I'd have to recognize what was happening, I can only imagine that I'd never be found in such a place even by accident.

None of that means that friends of mine or even me couldn't be hit by a stray bullet.

Locals have been telling me that the GSU weekend and police presence is of little help because of payoffs and/or relationships. I have no idea how much truth there is to that but the people telling me certainly believe it.

Yes, otherwise, I support your premise. That said, somehow I dont think there's anyone on this board that needs to be told, in that I doubt any of our posters would be doing these things of which you speak.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

R
R
I don't believe the problem is tourist buying drugs and I could be wrong. I agree they should not. Tourist buying drugs amounts to a small part of the problem. Why do the criminal come to San Pedro? They come here because the tourist have money and things. The Island has a certain concentration of wealth that the rest of the country has not and it helps support THEIR addiction. This is the same reason why most large cities in the US have a problem. The drugies need money.

Why did John Dillinger rob banks? Because that is where the money was.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
There is a simple explanation for the rise in crime on the island. The fix will not be as simple. It's going to take the GOB, the police, the residents and the business community to come up with a plan, and follow it, no matter the political pressures or payoffs.

For God Sake lets tell the truth, I was informed years ago nearly 60% of tourist come here for drugs. We now have drugs gangs fighting and killing each other for the business. Until we all stand together the problem will get worse.

P
P
That is so true inplub. Most of the buyers are tourists and residents. The sellers go where the money is. I would add that for many traffickers, there is now more money in selling sex than in drugs. So everyone should make sure their friends come to visit that they behave in a fashion that is not part of the problem. Also, do not buy and sell guns. It is illegal.
But add to that, government decided a few years ago to move some bad boys out of the city to decrease gang violence. It worked but now some of that has spread to outer areas. We need to be consistent and vigilant in letting officials know we want a safe village and will be willing to do what it takes to keep it that way.

Inplub, I don't know who your impeccable source is but I've been a tourist for 15+ years. I visit more than once a year, usually three sometimes four. I meet other tourists on every trip. Some of those have become lifelong friends of mine, others are just enjoyed at our time spent together during our respective vacations. I have never met anyone that comes for the drugs. The closest I came was exposure to young man whose father owns property here. If it were 60% of tourists visiting for drugs, wouldn't I have met more of them? Just the law of averages would dictate.

Yes, agree let's all pull in the same direction but don't start looking askance at 60% of what drives the legal economy around here.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
While I think the 60% number is way out of line and even anyone choosing to vacation here for that reason is a bit ludicrous (just because someone was "informed" doesn't make it true) I do believe that a good number of tourists, and a bigger number of expats play the "Let's support the local drug dealer game".

P
P
Slowly our demographic of visitor has changed, and will change even more. Ten years back we got the pioneering Visitor that wanted to visit the new unknown Tourism destination and they generally were middle aged,adventurous, affluent and were prepared to pay a bit more to visit a destination others hadn't been to or heard of, for Fishing Diving Mainland Jungle Ruins etc. They generally didtrips or tours every day.

Slowly but surely Belize's profile has risen and we're heading more towards (but will hopefully never reach)the mass tourism market where people want to go on holiday sit on a beach eat and drink and yes more of that demographic want drugs too.

It's another step as Belize reaches her early Thirties and we need to adapt and deal with it. We desperately need help from leadership - ie Politicians.

Sadly politicians think votes before righteousness.

I've never used any drug other than alcohol - it did the job! Weed needs to be put in the same category as alcohol - NOT with narcotics.
Remember 'Refer Madness?" We are as unrealistic now as were as those nuts back then.
Of course people come here (and many other places around the globe) and ask for pot. And whether we like it or believe it a lot of gringos who live here have a regular habit.
Alcohol and drugs are addicting to a certain percentage of every population; the addiction is not in the product it is in the genes of the individual. Some people can take or leave it and some need more and more until it takes less and less.
Alcohol and weed both make people stupid when overdone. Look how many people come here just to sit in a bar and drink their vacation or their life away.
Crack cocaine and heroin are different. It doesn't take a genius to tell when someone is out of control on one of these drugs.
Do you think anyone has been killed because they owed the dealer a lot of money for weed? Just asking.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Dear Seashell,

I first arrived to Belize in 1981; we have lived here since 2002 on and off. I have a Belizean
Sister-In-Law, we have worked with and had Belizean work for us. In fact one of our workers at the moment lives in the MIDDLE of San Juan area. As Phil states, visitors have change over the last 10 years.

I have NO problem with people buying DRUGS; I have NO problem with people selling DRUGS.

WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAVE NEARLY TWENTY DRUG STORES AND ONLY TWO THAT ARE REGISTERED IN SAN PEDRO?

I come from a small town in England with a population of 50,000 and we only have about five DRUG STORES in town.

When I said drugs I was also counting them as drugs.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.