Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A shooting incident early this morning in San Pedro town has claimed the life of one person. The victim has been identified as 49 year old Alfred Kelvin.

The shooting happened around 2 am in the San Juan area of San Pedro town.

Kelvin, according to reports, was walking on Seaweed Street around 2 am when someone fired a single gunshot, fatally wounding Kelvin in the right eye.

A police source says there is so far no leads and no motive for the fatal early morning murder and authorities are appealing to the general public for assistance in solving this crime.

Police investigations continue.

Patrick Jones

=========

One man was murdered in the wee hours of Saturday May 31st in San Pedro Town. He has been identified as 49 year old Alfred Kelvin aka Cat of San Pedro Town.

According to police they responded to sounds of gunshots in the San Juan area sometime around 2am. Upon arrival they observed the lifeless body of a man, later identified as Kelvin with a gunshot to the left eye which is believed to have penetrated his head.

Kelvin's body has been taken to the KHMH morgue in Belize City for a post mortem examination. Police investigation continues.

San Pedro Sun

Drive by shooting..........not good folks!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Terrible to be sure, but dollars to doughnuts this is all about drugs, and not random.
Don't use drugs, don't deal drugs, don't hang out with people who do.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Dangerous San Juan Area of San Pedro Spikes Up Again

Since March, we’ve been reporting on a spike in violent crime on San Pedro – which has resulted in three murders, and multiple shootings and stabbings. The third murder since March happened on Saturday morning in the troubled San Juan area of San Pedro Town when 49 year old Corozaleno Alfred “Cat” Kelvin was killed. His death comes as a shock to his family who did not even know he was in the country! Daniel Ortiz found out more today:..

Supt. Luis Castellanos – OC, San Pedro Police
"On Saturday the 31st of May at 2:05 in the morning we received information of a shooting in the San Juan area. As a result of the information received police visited Sea Weed Street situated in San Juan area where they saw the lifeless body of a individual we know as Alfred Kelvin, 49 years old Belizean unemployed of the San Juan area. He was seen suffering from one single gunshot wound to the right eye which exited on the right side of his head. He was apparently dead on the spot."

Daniel Ortiz reporting
That after police saw him less than 10 minutes before the gunman ended his life. He was standing here, in front of Ritchie’s Supermarket, when an officer told him to leave because he was loitering. They had no idea that death was waiting around the corner.

Supt. Luis Castellanos
"The policeman have seen him approximately 5 - 8 minutes prior to his shooting and they spoke to him and he was advised to leave the area because he was seen at the corner of Pescador and San Piper Streets where he was standing up and the police advised to leave the area since he was loitering. He left and shortly after he was then shot. Initial investigation reveal that he was walking in Sea Weed Street when apparently somebody fired one single shot at him hence the injuries he received."

At this time, police don’t know why the still unidentified assailant killed him so callously, but they do know that he was a known drug user, and he had previous possession charges. Investigators are looking into that to see if it is connected to his death.

Supt. Luis Castellanos
"We know him as a drug user and also we know that he was charged for harm on the 16th April against a female that made a complaint against him and like I said we know him in that capacity."

On the flipside, as far as his parents knew, he was still in the US, where he had migrated. They had no idea that he was back home. They are from the Corozal District, and they were in London until 3 months ago.

Sydney Kelvin Sr – Father of Deceased
"To be truthful its about 5,6,7 years since we saw him."

Thelma Kelvin – Step-Mother of Deceased
"That he went to visit us in Corozal because after that he went to the United States and then after that he came back and when he came back his nephew called me and ask if I knew that Alfred came from the States and I tell him no and he says yes, he went to San Pedro he told me. From then we never saw him, until now that we got the news that they killed him in San Pedro."

Sydney Kelvin Sr – Father of Deceased
"For the longest I haven’t seen him. And now that I see him he is dead. That hurts me very much. I really want the police or anybody to find out why and how he died like that."

A month ago, Dennis “Chingy” Palacio was murdered a few yards away from where Kelvin was gunned down. 2 days before Palacio was killed, 6 gunmen wearing bandanas, fired indiscriminately at a group of people for no apparent reason and escaped before they could be caught. 6 weeks before that, 22 year-old Darrington Lauriano Jr. was walking to his home in the area when gunman shot him in the back.

Superintendent Castellanos tells us that San Juan area is the location that his officers has focused quite a lot of patrols to try to curb the rising crime in that neighbourhood. He told us that it’s also a location where drug peddlers operate, which they are monitoring closely.

Channel 7

San Pedro resident murdered over the weekend

As recent as last week the San Pedro community came together to fight an alarming spike in crime and violence in the island. On Saturday, the news spread early in the morning that a man had been murdered. Since then the police have been investigating the murder of forty-nine year old Alfred 'Cat' Kelvin Junior. His lifeless body was discovered on Seaweed Street in the San Juan area after residents called in about a gunshot. About a month ago, there was a murder of an alleged drug dealer not far from where Kelvin Junior's body was found. There are no leads at this time because nobody saw anything and there is difficulty in finding a motive. Mike Rudon was in San Pedro, this morning and has the story.

Mike Rudon, Reporting

At about five minutes past two on Saturday morning San Pedro Police received information of a gunshot in the San Juan area. They responded and found the lifeless body of forty-nine year old Alfred Kelvin at this spot on the corner. He had been shot once in the right eye. Kelvin is known to the Police as a transient, residing in the San Juan area but with no fixed address.

Supt. Luis Castellanos, Officer Commanding, San Pedro Police

Luis Castellanos

"We interviewed some persons in the area, and one of the individuals said he had spoke to him just an hour prior and they just conversed and he left. The Police patrol, because we are patrolling the area, met him just five minutes prior to him being shot. We know that we saw him in the area. The Police spoke to him and after that he was apparently shot and killed."

Castellanos says the Kelvin is known to be a drug user. His body was discovered about ten feet away from where Dennis Palacio, an alleged drug dealer, was gunned down one month ago.

Supt. Luis Castellanos

"This town is a tourist town. We depend on tourism a lot. And incidents like this are of concern. Because if tourists start to get alarmed that there is a situation here, then the tourists will not come to San Pedro and so it is definitely of concern. From the prior shootings we have been having patrols in the area, and in my meetings with my staff we discuss…let us patrol, this is the area that is giving us the most problem. Let us stick to the patrols. And we have the patrols in. In fact, just prior to him getting killed the Police spoke to him, so that is indicating that the Policemen are patrolling the area, so it's just that the criminal element is one step ahead of us."

Alfred Kelvin Sr.

Castellanos says that Kelvin had no family on the island. But he did have family in Belize City. His father Alfred Kelvin Sr. and stepmother, Thelma, heard about the murder on the news. They hadn't seen the victim in probably seven years.

Alfred Kelvin Sr., Father of Deceased

"Well to be truthful, I say about five, six, seven years since we see him."

Thelma Kelvin, Stepmother of Deceased

"…That he mi gone visit we dah Corozal beucase after that he mi gone to the United States and then after that he come back. And fi he nephew call me and tell me if I mi know Alfred come from states. And I tell him no. And he said yes, ih come and ih gone dah San Pedro. From then we neva see ahn until now that we get the news that dehn kill ahn da San Pedro."

Thelma Kelvin

His family says that Kelvin was likely deported from the US. He never made any attempts to contact them, even when he returned to Belize. Still, it's a shock for his father, who never expected to see his eldest son this way.

Alfred Kelvin Sr.

"I feel it very much beucase it is the longest that I see him and now that I see him, he's dead. But I woulda really want the police or anybody find out why he died like that."

They say that they will head out to San Pedro to get answers of their own, though investigations by the Police have led nowhere. Mike Rudon for News Five.

Superintendent Castellanos says he is currently in discussions with both the B.D.F. and the Coast Guard to explore the possibility of mounting long-term operations in the north of San Pedro to deal with rampant drug activity.�

Channel 5

Used to be, and still is, the conventional advice to tourists was Belize City is a dangerous place to be avoided, or at best to be careful not to go to certain areas or or wander around at night. That is where the danger is and not the case on Ambergris Cay.
Well, it appears that advice might be appropriate for AC now. It concerns me that just because people relate the violence to drug involvement, that this is not a major threat to tourism.
This must be the number one priority, or there is no doubt it will have a major negative effect on tourism.
Belize City got its reputation not because of tourists being effected so much, but rather as the violence related to drugs.
Does that not sound like what is happening on AC now?

A
A
Originally Posted by bywarren
Used to be, and still is, the conventional advice to tourists was Belize City is a dangerous place to be avoided, or at best to be careful not to go to certain areas or or wander around at night. That is where the danger is and not the case on Ambergris Cay.
Well, it appears that advice might be appropriate for AC now. It concerns me that just because people relate the violence to drug involvement, that this is not a major threat to tourism.
This must be the number one priority, or there is no doubt it will have a major negative effect on tourism.
Belize City got its reputation not because of tourists being effected so much, but rather as the violence related to drugs.
Does that not sound like what is happening on AC now?

One stray bullet killing a tourist would go "viral" on the internet and have a severe impact. Especially when the home country picks up and runs with the story.

Bring back Assistant Superintendent of Police Rudolph Orio.
He can clean up Dodge in a hurry.
http://www.sanpedrosun.com/old/99-164.html

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Not many tourist will get shoot by accident at 1.30am in the San Juan area, unless they are looking for DRUGS. Most of the problems seem to come from San Juan area, is that not where the Police Station is?

Last edited by Inplub; 06/03/14 12:30 PM.
L
L
Shots were fired at the attempted robbery of Bowen and Bowen. This was during daylight hours. Someone picking up a case of beer or shopping at the grocery across the street , could well have been an innocent victim. It will happen at some point.

R.B. Mernitz
S
S
ABSOLUTELY! A fine police officer... very effective.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.