Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
AMBERGRIS CAYE, Belize, July 16, 2014 - Okay, I admit it. For a guy, I love ice cream. So sue me. I'd rather eat it than sip a fancy merlot, eat hoity-toity food or swill back a couple of cold ones.

At times, I try and sneak some out of the freezer before dinner, a habit of which my wife is quite adept at discovering. The telltale signs of drops on my t-shirt or the bit I didn't quite clean at the corners of my mouth are dead giveaways.

Like a skilled prosecutor, I usually break under the cross-examination.

Still, my theory is that I am not alone and that there are millions of you out there who have the same obsession. Along with magazines like Cigar Aficionado, why isn't there an Ice Cream Aficionado? Well, I for one am going to do my part in revealing my all time top five list.

The downside? You might have to spend a small fortune to travel to some of these places and put on a few pounds in the process, but how can you put a price on memories like these?

1. DandE's Frozen Custard and Sorbet: Middle Street; San Pedro; Ambergris Caye, Belize

My top choice is a tiny little hole in the wall in Ambergis Caye, Belize. It was a hot day and the name DandE's caught my curiosity. "Care for a taste?" asked the lady with a wicked little smile behind the counter as she held out a little spoon with a sample. "Looks ordinary," I thought, as I slipped it into my mouth.

I'm sure at that moment my pupils must have dilated and a previously unknown part of my brain designed just for taste moments like this suddenly came alive.

"What is this?" I asked excitedly. "Soursop," she replied, handing me another sample.
So, this is how addictions are born, I mused, as I handed her money while ordering their largest size of this flavor, made from the fruit of an evergreen tree native to the Caribbean.

Here at DandE's (named after the owners.), they also make custards and sorbets. The custard is made with eggs, sugar and cream, and when combined with their special recipes and flavors, the final product is smooth and creamy with the consistency of butter.

Other favorites here include double rich chocolate, black cherry, coconut, mango, and many others.

This one is worth the flight to Belize and the trip to Ambergis Caye. I guess while you are there you can also enjoy the beach, water and laid back atmosphere.

SOURCE

I heart Manelly's

I too love DandE (Dan and Elaine) AND Manelly's. Each for different reasons. DandE make great frozen yogurts, custards, etc. but you can't beat Manelley's for their Coconut or Belizean Fudge ice creams.

BUT - I also make some of my own. Mango Sorbet last week, Banana Vanilla ice cream this week and tomorrow watermelon granita. The fresh fruits here are soooo gooood.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 07/17/14 10:53 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I'll be right over Harriette grin

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
There is now a man brining a fruit and vegetable cart up once or twice a week. His prices are sound and the produce is fresh. It is so nice to have food at my doorstep.

Last night Fish Johnson cooked for the three women staying next door and some of we neighbors. Yummy lobster, chicken & fish.

There is so much left over fish that I will make a yellow curry sauce, float the fish in it and serve with rice and coleslaw.

I so love my new house with my wonderful kitchen and all my gadgets. This is paradise~

Harriette
A
A
What new house, Harriette? I so loved your OLD house(condo). Your gift of embellishing what is naturally paradise-like,should render a really lovely environment! I've been down several times but never seem to run into you?
Your "twin"

This must be Cindy???
My house is exactly 1 mile north of bridge - I sold the condo.

Harriette

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.