Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#493877 - 07/26/14 10:17 AM Sale of the Split
Tammy Barnett Offline
I heard the Split was sold. What will this do to the access to this part of the island?

#493878 - 07/26/14 01:59 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
witness Offline
Wish I had a dollar for every time it was!

#494010 - 07/30/14 08:03 AM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett] Offline
It hasn't sold.
Caribbean Colors Art Gallery, Caye Caulker

#494016 - 07/30/14 01:00 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
Dane Offline
It is being fixed up. Chairman Miller is working to keep it open during the upgrade and has asked the owners to announce their plans so folks won't worry.
Thanks village Council for being on top of this.

Edited by Dane (07/30/14 02:41 PM)

#494034 - 07/30/14 05:55 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
witness Offline
Seriously, it is being fixed up?
That's why they spent a bundle driving huge pilings all over the property?
There's one right in front of the condo building entrance and several in inappropriate locations for a fix-up, these look like exploration for bedrock and location of the dreaded cave for a major project.
More likely the people with the money to do this are simply not taking questions from anyone.

#494038 - 07/30/14 07:57 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett] Offline
Change is inevitable and if they close it off to the general public then people will find somewhere else to swim and hang out. It's not the end of the universe. It's private property they can do with it what they want, they are the owners. If you truly want to find out what they are doing then ask them to their face rather than insulting them on the internet for developing their property. And if you don't know who the owner is then you can go to the lands department in Belmopan and find out who it is.
Caribbean Colors Art Gallery, Caye Caulker

#494066 - 07/31/14 12:01 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
Dane Offline
I know the owner. It isn't a secret.
If a property changes hands the lawyers inform village council for tax reasons.

I know where the cave is. That is no secret either.
It was mapped out from below by divers. Some folks claim it has many unexplored areas at the Split.
That may be true. Or maybe not.
That claim seems based on the principle that if I don't have any solid facts I can conclude anything I want.
It is likely much deeper under the ground than folks with no info have claimed.

Several past groups considering trying to open a surface access have been disappointed when finding out how deep underground it is.
Heres a hint. The split was thirty feet deep when I measured it and is not breaking into the cave.
They are fixing up and building more structures to use to make money and have been doing this for twenty five years.
It is likely they do not have the legal right to close it any case because of the right of way along the sea.
That right is often not enforced until someone complains.
That has happened twice in my memory at the Split.

Edited by Dane (07/31/14 12:47 PM)

#494067 - 07/31/14 12:50 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
witness Offline
Everyone knows the owner on tiny Caye Caulker, that doesn't mean he's confiding in anyone.
With all respect to Mr Miller, developers in Belize often go over the local Village Council's head, to area reps and others on up.
As far as caves go there are pockets and chambers all over the island not connected to "THE" cave.
These are not formed by engineers with transits and levels.
And yes, they cannot close the split itself, but they can put up a wall on the perimeter of the private property and pretty much make it a lot harder to access.

#494084 - 07/31/14 04:32 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
Dane Offline
Tell me how you located them. Are there some at the Split?
I have driven a lot of pilings and made test bores, along wth digging dozens of wells.
The ground of the Caye is layers of soft and slighter harder material. When the piling goes down easy it has been a layer of soft material in every case we could determine, while folks stand around and say its the cave. Even the walls of the cave itself is not bedrock. It is a crumbly material locals call laja.

A developer does not have to go over the head of the CCVC. They have little to do with those issues. The point I was making was that a sale is reported to CCVC.

#494085 - 07/31/14 04:37 PM Re: Sale of the Split [Re: Tammy Barnett]
seashell Offline
Yet, accessed it would still be. Ergo anyone with sense would not try to stem the flow. I can see it now, people, families, tourists etc., knee deep with all of the beach belongings and coolers leaned up and or hanging off perimeter walls. Kids still jumping from flexible logs hanging outbover the water. What a vision. smile
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (cracked up, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day