FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: Chocolate Cake
"Hello, Lupe. How are you doing?" "I'm doing well, thank you," Lupe said. "And how are you this morning Anna?" "I'm alright," Anna said. I was sitting the deck at the Holiday Hotel, drinking my morning coffee when these two local ladies came in and sat at the table next to me. "How is the [�]

Tropic Air announces increase in service Roatan, Honduras
Press Release San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, July 24, 2014 "We are very excited to be increasing our service to Roatan in response to the overwhelming support and enthusiasm of our passengers", said John Greif III, President of Tropic Air. "Roatan has become an important part of our network, and a source of growing tourism [�]

Caye Caulker Police Report
Minor Sexually Exploited On Monday 14th July, 2014 at about 3:30pm one, Doris Maldonado 40 year old(D.OB. 12/5/75) Honduran National. Domestic of Caye Caulker Village visited the Caulker Police station along with her daughter who is minor of 15 years old and reported that her daughter reported to her that she has been having sexual [�]

Doctor Love: Gossip and Relationships
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, I have a best friend who I have always been able to talk to about anything. I tell her my troubles and she [�]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Georgina "Gina" Eiley. Passes Away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Eiley family on the passing of Georgina "Gina" Eiley. May her soul rest in peace. Gina was the daughter of Mr. George and Atlantida "Tanta" Eiley.

Part IV of a series of six - Calculating Belcogen's gross revenue
At this point, we must recall some of the norms discussed in Part III. If BSI has the minimum standard output of kilowatt hours (100 kWh) per ton of cane, then last year's crop (of 1,078,000 tons of cane) would have had the potential to produce about 107,800,000 kWh. We've already established that most mills keep between 45 to 50 percent of this energy output for their own uses. If the factory uses, for argument sake, 46 percent of that total output, and only sells the surplus 54% percent to BEL, it would generate gross revenues of $11,758,824 =[ (107,800,000 x 54%) x 20 cents]. It's important to note that this figure is awfully close to the gross revenue figures alluded to in BSI's newspaper ad. (If 97% of its gross revenue is $11.4 million, then 100% gross revenue would be about $11.7 million).

The Reporter

BGYEA preparing for court with meeting Sunday
The Belize Grass Roots Empowerment Association (BGYEA) held a membership meeting on Sunday morning at Harmonyville to inform members about the association's upcoming case to answer for trespassing at the Supreme Court. The meeting drew a crowd of just over 100 members who all had to cross the buffer zone to get to the meeting area because of lack of roads in that particular area. BGYEA President, Nigel Petillo informed the members present that by crossing the buffer zone to get to the meeting they had all broken the law, which, states that it is illegal to walk or fly over the buffer area. Petillo told The Reporter that the meeting was important to keep their membership informed about the status of BGYEA's litigation as well as to deal with internal matters such as land ownership and fees.

Mexican woman charged with common-law husband's murder
Annabel Kumul, a 36 year-old Mexican of Quintana Roo is remanded to the Hattieville Correctional Facility for the stabbing murder of Felix Alamilla. Alamilla suffered stab wounds at around 5 a.m. on Friday while inside a room two miles away from his home with Kumul. Kumul, who police reportedly arrested near the airstrip in San Pedro, was remanded until August 24.

US will send back Central American youths who flock there
President Barack Obama has informed Central American leaders that his government will send back migrant children who are flooding into the United States illegitimately. Obama met with the presidents of El Salvador Guatemala and Honduras at the White House on Friday to discuss the problem at the US-Mexico border. Since last October US authorities have detained more than 50,000 children, many traveling alone, at the border. Obama acknowledged his Central American counterparts for their ongoing efforts within their own nations to discourage children from travelling illegally to the US, but added that more work must be done to combat the challenge.

Patrick JonesPJ

Playoff schedule set in Cayo women's softball competition
The Camalote senior women's softball team clinched berth to the playoffs in the Cayo Softball Association competition which culminated today. Camalote defeated Las Flores in the first game on the schedule today and waited for the conclusion of the game between Esperanza Wolverines and University of Belize [�]

Man killed, three women injured in early morning shooting
Police in Belize City are investigating an early Saturday morning murder in the old capital. Sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m., on Saturday one man was fatally shot and three women sustained injuries when two intruders invaded their Mopan Street home. Dead is Carlos Mayorga, while the women [�]

Future youth leaders trained in CARICOM program
The future is now for 30 youth leaders from around Belize, who this weekend in Santa Elena Town underwent special training to prepare to become effective leaders in their respective communities. The young men and women who traveled to the weekend event will, at the end of the training, [�]

Should I stay or Should I go?
By Richard S. Harrison, BSc Pharm, MBA "Life is a characteristic distinguishing physical entities having signaling and self-sustaining processes from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (death), or because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate. The first known attempt to classify organisms was conducted by the Greek philosopher [�]

Blogs

Menacing Lionfish Made into Gorgeous Jewelry in Placencia, Belize
BUT�there is another way to do your part fighting this fish. (Don't you like when it takes me 200 words to get to the point? An actual newspaper editor would not approve.) I have heard and seen (on facebook and at a booth at the Lobsterfest) about Kaj Expressions. A Belizean woman in Placencia making beautiful jewelry from the lionfish spines and I wanted to meet her and take a closer look. We finally coordinated a meeting� And then the STUNNING lionfish jewelry. Follow her Facebook page to see updates as she designs more. NONE of these were in the shop�she sells out quickly. I mean�seriously�bring one of these necklaces home. Wear it with a simple dress or a white collared button down? And you have everyone you know jell-jell-jealous.

International Sourcesizz

Ramadan starts Monday in 100 countries
Muslims in 100 countries across the globe will be celebrating Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, on Monday, according to Anadolu Agency correspondents. Only Nigeria celebrated Eid on Sunday after Sultan of Sokoto Abubakar Sa'ad II announced the end of Ramadan late Saturday, amid confusion about the start of the Muslim feast. Five countries - Oman, Morocco, Gabon, Tanzania and Azerbaijan - have so far announced that Eid al-Fitr will start on Tuesday. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh will make announcements on Eid start on Monday. But according to Anadolu Agency correspondents, Muslims in at least 100 countries will celebrate Eid Monday.

Videos

Video: Walking around Caracol Archeological Site in Belize - part 5, 10min.

Video: Belize vacation, 15min.

Video:Ranguana Caye Belize, 1min.

Video: 2014 Belize Reef Snorkeling, 3min.
We went sailing and snorkeling off Caye Cauker in Belize.

Video: Dive in Half Moon Caye, Belize, 3min.
A few reef sharks spotted on the dive.