Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#495066 - 08/27/14 05:51 PM PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar
Marty Online   happy

The main opposition People’s United Party (PUP) has taken a decision to suspend the standard bearer for the Belize Rural North constituency Arthur Saldivar.

At a meeting of the PUP’s National Executive this morning, which was held at Independence Hall, Saldivar was given a chance to make presentations regarding allegations of wrongdoing and mishandling of funds, laid against him by former clients Melonie and Marlene Coye.

Saldivar’s suspension is effective immediately and will remain in place until September 17, 2014 at which time the PUP’s National Executive will make a final determination of Saldivar’s fate.

The PUP National Executive has begun the task of investigating the allegations of wrongdoing against Saldivar, including claims from other clients of the embattled attorney.

A report of the investigation will be brought back to a future PUP National Executive scheduled for September 12 for consideration.

The PUP says that due process is being afforded Saldivar as it investigates the serious allegations made against him.

For his part, Saldivar emerged from this morning’s meeting at Independence Hall and would only say to reporters that “when it’s time to talk, we will talk.”

Patrick Jones

#495098 - 08/28/14 10:36 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Saldivar Suspended By PUP!

Two weeks ago, 7News broke the story of Arthur Saldivar – and the allegation that he had taken nine hundred and four thousand dollars of his client Melonie Coye’s money. Coye retained attorney Eamon Courtenay to sue Saldivar for the money. The sensational case has brought a lot of heat unto Arthur Saldivar, but also unto the PUP, for which he is a standard bearer for Belize Rural North. While Saldivar can handle his affairs in court, not so for the PUP in the court of public opinion; it has to act decisively to purge itself of any appearance of corruption. And that’s not only because of the party’s past record, but because of the criticism it put on the UDP for its handling of the Elvin Penner debacle – and the undercover coddling it claims the ruling party gave Penner. But, fact is, Penner was stripped as a minister, instantly and, then, after 26 more days of political hemorrhaging, made a persona non grata within the UDP.

But, 21 days after the Arthur allegation emerged – the PUP still hadn’t done anything decisive to discipline Saldivar. That, to some extent is because the Saldivar case isn’t as clear cut – no police report of theft has been made, and to our knowledge, no suit has been filed in court. But, in politics, appearances are everything and especially so for an opposition which wants to be elected on a platform of transparency.

And so, the matter of Arthur Saldivar went before the PUP National Executive this morning at Independence Hall. There were those who wanted him removed as a standard bearer, just as there were those who supported him. Saldivar was allowed to make a presentation in his own defence this morning – after which he huffed out puffing on a cigar, which he told us cost 50 US dollars. Our cameras were there when he went back and Jules Vasquez picks up the story from there:…

Arthur Saldivar strode into Independence Hall puffing on a cigar, one he indelicately snuffed out in front of the Belize Times door – leaving it there smoldering. Someone else had to clean that up while Saldivar was upstairs trying to clean things up for himself…but apparently he couldn’t and he was back downstairs in exactly one minute – where he agreed to make a statement.

Jules Vasquez

"Okay mr. Saldivar you just came out of a meeting. What's the outcome?"

Arthur Saldivar, Suspended as Standard Bearer - BRN

"Well the outcome is of no importance at this time. Just suffice to say the people of Rural North have a champion to fight on their behalf. When it's time to talk, Jules we’ll talk."

Jules Vasquez

"Sir but I heard they're meeting to ice you, to take you out."

Arthur Saldivar

"When it's time to talk Jules, we'll talk."

Jules Vasquez

"Will you remain a standard bearer sir?"

Arthur Saldivar

"When it's time to talk Jules, we'll talk."

With that he strode off into an uncertain future. And a few minutes later this was confirmed by the party leader Francis Fonseca - who interrupted the central executive meriting to address the waiting media.

Hon. Francis Fonseca, PUP Party Leader

"The People's United Party has discussed the issue of Belize Rural North and the candidacy of Mr. Arthur Saldivar our standard bearer in that area. And I want to say we had a very robust discussion and at the end of that discussion the party took the decision that Mr. Arthur Saldivar would be suspended as a candidate for the P.U.P in Belize Rural North and from all party activities pending the outcome of on ongoing investigation that the party is carrying out into the very serious allegation that has been made in respect of certain monies which a client of Mr. Saldivar says he took and has not returned to her. That investigation has been ongoing, we expect that investigation to be concluded and a report to be delivered to myself and the national executive by September 12th; And the party will then meet convene a meeting at the national executive on September 17th, at which time a final decision will be made on this matter."

Reporter

"Given that you are not the police, what kind of investigation can you carry out?"

Hon. Francis Fonseca

"Well the best possible investigation, meaning that we will speak to all the relevant persons on both sides of the issue and gather any other independent information that we may be able to get our hands on."

Jules Vasquez

"Sir are you concern that they're other complaints pending with the general legal council about Mr. Saldivar's conduct as an attorney?"

Hon. Francis Fonseca

"We are concerned and the committee will be looking at some of those."

Jules Vasquez

"Is Mr. Saldivar a liability to the P.U.P?"

Hon. Francis Fonseca

"That's not a determination that we are yet prepared to make. We are going to wait the outcome of the investigation and the entire national executive of the party will make a determination on this matter and will make a final decision. So there is due process but we understand and appreciate that the Belizean people expect that we act deliberately and decisively when matters like this come up."

Jules Vasquez

"Sir but there people would argue that he was duly elected and if you all remove or suspend him you'll abrogate the will of the people of Belize Rural North."

Hon. Francis Fonseca

"Well that's always a concern. That's the balance, that's therefore the need for a proper investigation to the matter."

But, astute political observers say that the investigation is just part of a process pre-ordained to eject Arthur Saldivar as a PUP Candidate. But that is weeks away, for the time being, he has the dubious distinction of being the first elected standard bearer in memory to be suspended – it’s left to be seen now whether this man who once strove to be party leader will fight it.

The party has set up a committee to handle the investigation. It comprises the party’s legal advisor Anthony Sylvester, the Chairman Henry Usher, and two members of the Order of Distinguished service – and those two members cannot be from the Belize District. Again, they will report back to the National Executive before September 17th.

Saldivar’s Camp Ready For A Fight, While Candidate Remains Calm

But, if you think it’s going to be smooth going between now and then, think again, because Saldivar is a fighter! You’ve already heard about the crazy stuff he did for his client, so imagine what he wouldn’t do for himself! An indication of the vibes coming out of his camp came to us through facebook today. His campaigner Linsford Castillo posted this on his Facebook page: “Message to Godfrey Smith, Francis Smith, Eamon Courtenay and Dolores Balderamos and Company, this PUP fight will be to the bitter end. We shall not be moved!” To that, national campaign manager Godfrey Smith only told us, quote, “So be it.”

So, in the next few weeks, we should expect anything, which is why we were ready – when we got a call this afternoon at 2:00 pm to go and interview Saldivar at Azrock, which is Linsford Castillo’s office. He wanted us to cover a donation he’s making to a cancer survivor. We’ll have that later, but of course, we used the opportunity to press him on his future with the PUP:…

Jules Vasquez

"Sir you have the dubious distinction right now of being the as far as I remember in the modern era, the only standard bearer that was suspended. Mr. Cal was removed but I can't recall of another suspended, pending investigation. What is that like?"

Arthurs Saldivar

"I have no idea."

Jules Vasquez

"But you are living it."

Arthurs Saldivar

"I'm a Belizean, I'm black, I'm proud, I stand on my own feet, always have, always will."

Jules Vasquez

"Are you going to get a fair shake?"

Arthurs Saldivar

"Those who want to know are welcomed to come and discuss with me. I'm always open to talk to my friends and my enemies, when they are civil."

Jules Vasquez

"Do you have any hostility against the P.U.P for making this unprecedented move against you?"

Arthurs Saldivar

"I'm a lover, i'm not a fighter. (laughs)"

Jules Vasquez

"Yes, but you have to think strategically. Apparently they're circling the wagons, many in there want to eject you and in fact I'm told the suspension is a compromise manoeuvre."

Arthurs Saldivar

"I have no idea as I said. When it's time to talk, we'll talk. I believe in the constitution of the party, I believe in it's principles and it's mission, it's aiming and it's objects and the aim is to serve. So i'm here to give service, always."

Jules Vasquez

"Yes, but you make presentations to the party this morning. I saw you stroll out of the meeting, you looked exasperated at the time."

Arthurs Saldivar

"It's a hot day, you may confuse what I appeared to be for the effects the heat may have had on me, but by no means. I'm always upbeat, i'm fully confident in the leadership of our great party. I believe we have an honourable man who's worded his bond, I certainly am giving my undivided and undaunted loyalty to my party and it's leader Hon. Francis Fonseca. And I said when the time comes for us to talk my brother, we'll talk."

Jules Vasquez

"Should the party be persuaded? That in fact the leader said that you are under scrutiny because of this complaint that you took 904 thousand dollars of Melonie Coye's money. You are a standard bearer of the P.U.P, should not your word be enough to tell them, man I never do it, no even entertain that, that is legal hijinks as you have indicated to us? Apparently your word to your party is not enough."

Arthurs Saldivar

"I don't know about all that. As I said I have not had anything to really deliberate on in terms of anything coming in writing as to what the specificities of the situation is. I await these things, I think it's premature and I'm not man who believes in prematurity. I like maturity, I don't deal on that other side of life, so I try to deal with maturity always. When the time comes for us to talk, we will talk."

Jules Vasquez

"I don't want to be speculative, but if it were to come up..."

Arthurs Saldivar

"But that is what you're doing man, why would you want to speculate?"

Jules Vasquez

"Because i'm interested in your political future."

Arthurs Saldivar

"Are you preparing a bonfire to go and dance like an indian around and do you little hoopla. I mean I don't know. I try to be the best P.U.P I can be, everyday."

Jules Vasquez

"Apparently the executive, they don't think you're being the best P.U.P you can be. I'm taking another's word above you. You are saying you don't know about this money but they're saying well we really have to look at that and while we look at it, you can't hang around us."

Arthurs Saldivar

"When it's time to talk Jules, we will talk. (laughs)”

Saldivar said he will be going to visit his supporters in Belize Rural North.

The Saldivar camp has indicated that the party constitution gives the national executive no power to suspend anyone.

His extended camp it seems has also come to include Hubert Elrington. He’s no PUP, but he is a close associate of Saldivar. We met him with Saldivar at the Azrack office – and Saldivar encouraged us to interview him. We asked Elrington about Saldivar’s troubles with his client Melonie Coye:…

Hubert Elrington

"You know that party, your client was in jail right. You know practically the family was in jail, you knew that. You know who got them out. You know the fight he had to put through to get back their money. These things cost what we say in law, a pretty penny. Apparently she's not prepared to pay a pretty penny. I'm not going to get into that but, I'm saying anybody who goes to a lawyer with the misconception that, if you get a million dollars, you are not going to pay the lawyer maybe 20 percent or 25 percent of that need to be woken up."

And while that pretty penny wisdom was one thing, Elrington also spoke as a political commentator – indicating that if he is rebuffed by the PUP, Arthur might just go independent. Elrington prefaced this by referring to his brother Wilfred who ran as an independent in 2003.

Hubert Elrington

“You're on a mission, remember when Sedi took on the U.D.P in Pickstock division and defeated them? He ran as an independent candidate. So if you have the money, you have the ideas, people will listen to you. So they have to be very careful, they don't have a lot of margin to play on. Neither P.U.P nor U.D.P have a lot of margin to play on. You know everything about the G7, I don't have to tell you about that. So people enjoy skating on thin ice and I like to watch them skate on thin ice. (laugh)”

PUP insiders appear ambivalent about the possibility of an independent Saldivar candidacy. They tell us privately that they don’t feel Saldivar had much of a chance against Castro, and so replacing him would be a win win. Tough talk, but we heard it from more than one insider.

Again, that is ludicrous to the Saldivar camp who says their committee chairperson has not even been approached by the executive to hear his views. We’ll keep following this one…

Channel 7

#495173 - 08/30/14 10:54 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Belize Rural Executive Demonstrates Against Their Own Party For Arthur

The suspended PUP Standard Bearer Arthur Saldivar may be on the ropes but he's not going down without a fight. Last night his Belize Rural North Executive Committee met and issued a defiant press release saying, quote, "we completely and wholeheartedly DENOUNCE this illegal and unconstitutional decision taken by the PUP National Executive on Wednesday, August 27, 2014 to place our Candidate and ELECTED Standard Bearer on two (2) weeks' suspension pending a so-called 'investigation'. "

The release adds, quote, "the decision...only serves the selfish agenda of a few members of the National Executive who are undermining the Party under the guise of 'love for Party'."

They say defiantly that, quote, "We will NOT allow any hand-picked 'replacement' to come into our division and benefit from our years of hard work which was accomplished with much blood, sweat and tears."

That was last night, and this morning, they sought to take that message to the Party Leader himself in a hurriedly staged protest in front of PUP Headquarters. Now, PUP's protesting against their own party? That doesn't happen every day so you know 7News had to be there from before it started. Jules Vasquez reports:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
This morning Belize Rural North Committee members filed into Independence Hall.

Linsford Castillo, Saldivar Advisor
"We are here to ask for a meeting with the party leader and when I say we, I am talking about the executive committee of the Belize Rural North."

But no one was in the office upstairs, not the leader, not the Secretary General, so the crowd did a little thing in the waiting area, and then took it to the sidewalk - where the conduct of the event quickly went from subdued to spirit with the help of a bullhorn:

Wendy Castillo
"From 1989 under the leadership of Maxwell Samuels we are here today to fight on our own for the People's United Party - for the people of Belize Rural North. We will not move from here, if night comes we will stand here, but somebody will gives us answer today. Today we come in peace to ask them to have a meeting with us. We will no longer standby and just be a rubber stamp for anybody, we have a voice and we were born to speak when injustice takes place. Today injustice by our own."

Crowd Chanting
"The people's champion no suspension."

They say the party constitution only gives the committee to power to suspend - and that they've been overlooked, bypassed and disrespected. But they didn't get a chance to talk to Leader Fonseca we only saw his driver and his close advisor Albert Vaughan who took some strong words from the crowd. And then a direct frontal assault of the verbal variety

Saldivar wasn't there either, only his image while police stood by and didn't make any move to arrest them for an illegal assembly or loitering.

The continued holding the line for hours - but no one came, they got no audience with their party leader or any other party official.

This afternoon they relented. We learned that the Leader had called the Chairman - who would only give a statement:

Carol Williams, Chairman - PUP, Belize Rural North
"Our intention today was to make it clear that we do not recognize or acknowledge the suspension. In a telephone conversation to me a few minutes ago the Party Leader informed me that he will not meet with the executive committee. In light of the Party Leader's reluctant to meet with us today, our committee is left with no other choice but to reconvene and determine our next move."

No word on what that move might be and with that they packed up their signs and rolled out taking the option to fight another day - but with the September 17th. Deadline approaching that day had better be soon.

The protest started at 10:00 in the morning and the committee members, 15 of them went home at 2:00 in the afternoon. The PUP's Executive's investigation of Saldivar is led by party Chairman Henry Usher.

Later on you'll hear what the Prime Minister has to say about the suspension in the opposition.

Channel 7

#495811 - 09/18/14 10:59 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

PUP removes Arthur Saldivar as standard bearer

The main opposition People’s United Party (PUP) today took the decision to remove Arthur Saldivar as its Standard Bearer for the Belize Rural North Constituency.

Saldivar, who is an attorney at law by profession, was suspended late last month, pending an investigation into allegations of misbehaviour on his part.

As we have reported previously, Saldivar is accused of taking and failing to return some $900,000 from former clients Melonie and Marlene Coye, who were released from charges of money laundering following a successful criminal appeal in March.

Today, the PUP, having received the report of a committee set up last month to investigate the alleged wrongdoings, took the decision to remove Saldivar from the post of Standard Bearer and also as a member of the PUP executive.

PUP Leader Francis Fonseca told reporters at a briefing after the decision was handed down, that the party took into account the sentiments of the Belize Rural North Executive, who believe that the PUP acted contrary to its constitution in suspending Saldivar; but the decision was weighed against what was best overall for the PUP and the country on a whole.

The decision to remove Saldivar and barring him from PUP participation until the next General Elections, constitutionally due in 2017, is not sitting well with the Belize Rural North PUP executive committee who say they will consider a legal challenge to today’s decision by the party.

The decision to remove Saldivar as the Belize Rural North standard bearer and as a member of the PUP executive will still have to be ratified at the next National Party Council meeting scheduled for September 28.

Public Relations officer for the Belize Rural North Executive Committee Oswin Blease says that if necessary, their man Arthur Saldivar will run as an “independent PUP” in the next General Elections.

For his part, PUP Leader Fonseca says while the party cannot stop such a move by the Belize Rural North Executive, the party will follow its own processes now to choose a new standard bearer for the division.

Patrick Jones

#495813 - 09/18/14 11:16 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Arthur Saldivar Removed As PUP Standard Bearer

The executive members of the PUP there are about 25 of them headed by party leader Francis Fonseca arrived at the PUP headquarter in time for the 2:00 pm meeting.

Saldivar was called in at five minutes to four but directed into an ante-room to wait. Ten minutes later he was called up into Independence Hall and three minutes later he was back down, cool and collected

If you missed it He said "I will be running in Belize Rural North" OSWIN BLEASE filled us in

Oswin Blease, Belize Rural Public Relation

"The chairman whispered to me that she was told that Arthur Salvidar's candidacy should be removed with immediate effect." 

Jules Vasquez

"Sir is this an injustice for you all in Belize Rural North?"

Oswin Blease

"This is indeed an injustice for all of us in Belize Rural North. For one, Arthur Saldivar was not endured; Arthur Saldivar contested a convention where he won over 2 other candidates."

Francis Fonseca, PUP Party Leader

"After 2 hours of deliberation, 2 hours of discussion, the national executive of the party reached a decision on this matter. And that decision ladies and gentlemen is that with immediate effect, Mr. Arthur Saldivar is removed as the standard bearer for Belize rural North for the People's United Party and is removed as a member of the national executive of the part."

It's obviously because of the findings of their investigation, but Fonseca didn't want to discuss it with the press.

Francis Fonseca

"I will just add that this is obviously not an easy decision for any of us. It is not ever easy for anyone to sit in judgement of any colleague of theirs, so it was not an easy decision and not a decision taken lightly. We considered it very very seriously, very cautiously, very deliberately, but at the end of the day I believe, and I was supported by the members of the national executive that it was both in the best interest of the People's United Party and I also believe in the best interest of Mr. Saldivar that at this time, he not be involved in party politics and certainly not be a standard bearer for the People's United Party."

Reporter

"Based on allegations that, the party would have not ditched their own man if they did not have reliable information."

Oswin Blease

"Well you ask them, you ask them if they have any information on Arthur Saldivar. There is no police report filed at the police station in relation to the Melonie Coye issue. All the allegations in relation to Arthur Saldivar's behaviour on the media was mere on a basis of personal behaviour. We were thinking about this, either he would have been called in to be reprimanded based on his behaviour, but to be removed with immediate effect from running as a candidate in Belize Rural North, definitely that is unfair."

Francis Fonseca

"We believes he needs to deal with these allegations which are very serious and other matters which have come to light. And we believe he needs to have opportunity to deal with them, and it is certainly we believe, not in the best interest of the People's United Party to have Mr. Saldivar as a candidate for our party at this time."

And so, the party is moving on, but Rural North is now divided on this issue, the PUP knows this.

Francis Fonseca

"We are now at the point where we will convene a meeting in Belize Rural North to begin the process of selecting a new standard bearer for Belize Rural North."

Oswin Blease

"I was born inside the People's United Party. From birth I was a PUP, I will always be a PUP, but you have a thing you call Independent PUPs and let me tell you this, this is something that will be happening. I believe that Arthur Saldivar will run in Belize Rural North because the executive is standing behind him unanimously, the executive is very strong and we are battle ready, and many of us will be going into other division and contest the division as PUP supporters."

Saldivar Says He Will Run Independent

So that's the party's decision, and the immediate fallout. But what does the candidate, or former candidate have to say? Well, Arthur Saldivar called Jules Vasquez to the Radisson at 5:15 this evening where he explained what they told him when he went up to Independence Hall:

Arthur Saldivar, Removed as PUP BRN Std. Bearer

"My first reaction to it was simply to rise and leave. If that is the decision then the party has abandoned me. From my understanding of things, the report of the committee was not contemplated, it was not even considered. Because in retrospect, in actuality, the report did not yield anything, there is nothing there. The allegation were baseless and certainly once it was examined by those who was charged with responsibility, they recognised it was not a situation that would have warranted the outcome that came about today. So I'm as shocked as anybody else, but again, my constitution being what it is, it doesn't really phase me."

Jules Vasquez

"What's next for you?"

Arthur Saldivar

"Well, I am the standard bearer, I was elected by the people of the Belize Rural North. They came out, they gave me their vote of confidence to represent them and that vote of confidence is in respective to what ever political banner that may hang over my head at the particular day. I will be the member of a party, come election day and I will run for rural north. Now weather it is the PUP, that is up to the present leadership or what ever leadership takes over after the national convention. That national convention is going to be very interesting because our constitution requires that there must be one and all position are open for contesting at that time."

Jules Vaquez

"Will you run as an independent PUP as you told as you told one of the reporters and as Oswen Blease has said that are prepared to run as an independent PUP."

Arthur Saldivar

"I'm prepared to run independent of the the PUP. I will be a candidate in the upcoming general elections. I will go firstly to the people of the Belize Rural North to seek a ratification of that decision and I do believe that at the end of the day, with their support I will win."

Jules Vaquez

"They will now go about, they have said installing a new candidate or having that person elected, you will then be an outsider, am interlope, a persona non grata within the PUP in Belize Rural North."

Arthur Saldivar

"It is not about the PUP in the Belize Rural North. Arthur Saldivar's candidacy is for the people of Belize Rural North, not for the PUP."

Jules Vaquez

"Rufus ran independent and he got a small number of votes. No independent will win, you need to have a mass party with you, you will lose."

Arthur Saldivar

"Again, none have yet, history is always there to be made."

Later on, we'll have more form our conversation with Arthur Saldivar. Saldivar says tomorrow he will go ahead with activities in Belize Rural North which the committee had planned to mark former Representative Max Samuels' birthday.

Arthur Saldivar, The Broader Discussion

As you saw in our top segment, Arthur Saldivar has been, in his words, "abandoned by his party."  But, that's not the end of it actually, it's quite far from anything near the end, we'd say.  In an interview an hour after the decision came down Saldivar told us that, 1.) he will run as an independent, 2.) he may challenge the executive of the PUP at a convention and 3.) he may even take the PUP to court.  Now, all or none of these may happen, but it all pivots on how much popular support Sadivar the politician can attract, because he no longer has the cover of a mass party.  Today he told us his party is heading to tyranny:…

Arthur Saldivar, Removed as PUP BRN Std. Bearer

"There is a spirit of arbitrariness taken place and it can only lead to tyranny. So we our democratic processes to be given full effect. It cannot be that we have a tyranny in the PUP."

Jules Vasquez

"Sir, but let's look at it. You are way up here right now in your conceptualisation of the PUP but on the ground what has happened is you get huff, there are about 25 or 30 members of the executive and only 5 or 6 spoke in your favour. The PUP executive does not want Arthur Saldivar, that's the reality."

Arthur Saldivar

"Again Jules, it's not a matter of what 25 person say around a table. The PUP is comprised of much more people than that and a matter of me being huffed, no certainly not, I don't see it that way. I will still have the same ability tomorrow to earn a living. I will have the same ability to go forward and do what I need to do for myself, but it is the people of the Belize Rural North who have been huffed, not myself; And I will not allowed them to be huffed as long as I draw breath. I will be here, doing what I need to do, fighting on the behalf of their interest and to ensure that they get representation that they need."

Jules Vasquez

"But sir, aren't you being proud? Shouldn't you just realise that the higher ups in your own party don't want you. Shouldn't you just say man, just bring who you want, I will support them or make what ever nominal token gesture I need to make and move on. The PUP does not want you, the executive of the PUP, those are the people who make the decision."

Arthur Saldivar

"Again Jules, this is not about the PUP anymore. As you have rightly said, a decision was made by the executive. However what I am seeking to do, is to challenge the basis of that decision on the constitutionality of it. There is a very dangerous president that has been set. I don't know if the others around the table recognise it. I believe the people of Belize will judge them because to have made such a stupid decision, it doesn't speak well to them as critical thinkers."

Jules Vasquez

"So does the leader Francis Fonseca have to go?"

Arthur Saldivar

"That is not for me to say. As you say I am not apart of the flock anymore. But I will say, that his leadership, needs much to be desired."

Jules Vasquez

"The public relations of the Belize Rural North said that the man orchestrating all of this the new national campaign manager, Mr. Smith. Is that your opinion that Godfrey Smith has cooked all this up?"

Arthur Saldivar

"Again, I will be like Bob Marley, I deal with the sheriff, not the deputies."

Jules Vasquez

"Is it fair that Mr. Musa was charged theft of a substantial amount of public funds, he wasn't convicted of that, but he was charged for theft. You haven't been charged for anything. What is the standard by which you were removed?"

Arthur Saldivar

"I will not discuss Mr. Musa, if you want to ask me a question about Mr. Fonseca then that is a different matter and I will not discuss it right now. Tomorrow we shall discuss that."

Jules Vasques

"Sir, what is the standard by which you were ejected? Is it because somebody doesn't like you? Somebody don't like see you? They don't like how you behave?"

Arthur Saldivar

"I think that is another question for you to ask the party leader. I don't know what standards they were using when he made that decision."

Tomorrow we'll have more on this if not compelling, at least entertaining political story!

Channel 7

Is Godfrey Smith to Blame for Arthur’s Removal?

Oswin Blease

Blease insists that in meetings with the four member investigating committee, the Executive was told that there was no evidence against Arthur Saldivar. The Belize Rural North Executive claims that the decision taken was instigated by one man in the Executive. They are pointing the finger squarely at the P.U.P.’s new National Campaign Manager, Godfrey Smith

Oswin Blease, PR Officer, BRN Executive

“There is no police report filed at the Police Station in relation to the Melonie Coye issue. All the allegations in relation to Arthur Saldivar’s behaviour on the media were merely on the basis of personal behaviour. We were thinking about this. Either he would have been called in to be reprimanded based on his behaviour, but to be removed with immediate effect from running as a candidate in Belize Rural North…definitely that is unfair and that is unfounded.”

Reporter

“Is that constitutional under the People United Party’s constitution?”

Oswin Blease

“You know what we believe? We believe that only one or two persons could have been responsible for that decision made today. It has to be a decision hold out by no other than Godfrey Smith, and probably a few others that might have been in support of him. But there is nothing there. We are upset, annoyed and we are saddened to be P.U.P. supporters for a decision that is made like this. We were made privy of this by some insiders already…that they brought in Godfrey Smith. Godfrey Smith was on the outside, but Godfrey Smith is a powerhouse in the P.U.P. that if he says that Arthur Saldivar should go…then either Arthur Saldivar goes or he walks. That is the position.”

Channel 5

#495864 - 09/19/14 10:49 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Arthur Vs PUP, The Remix

So, the Saldivar saga continues. After being booted as a standard bearer in the PUP National Executive meeting yesterday he says he is consulting his supporters in Belize Rural North. Things unfold late in the evening yesterday - so we didn't get a chance to put all Saldivar's choice comments in context. We do so tonight - as we look back at the press conference to announce his removal and Saldivar's entertaining response:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
After the meeting - members of the executive stood and milled around and while you might get the idea that it was a decision lightly taken…

Hon. Francis Fonseca, Leader of the PUP
"It is never easy for anyone to sit in judgment if you like of any colleague of theirs. So it was not an easy decision. It was not a decision taken lightly."

But, it was taken:

"With immediate effect, Mr. Arthur Saldivar is removed as the standard bearer for Belize Rural North for the People's United Party and is removed as a member of the national executive of the party."

Arthur Saldivar, Former PUP Std. Bearer - BRN
"If that is the decision then the party has abandoned me."

"It was both in the best interest of the People's United Party and I also believe in the best interest of Mr. Saldivar that at this time, he not be involved in party politics."

"I'm as shocked as anybody else, but again, my constitution being what it is, it doesn't really phase me."

The evidence didn't seem to phase anyone either:

Jules Vasquez
"Were you all convince that the claim made against him that he made off, or that he took $914,000 of someone else's money - that there was substantial enough grounds in that allegation that made it unsuitable for him to be a PUP candidate?"

"We are not in a position to make a determination on Mr. Saldivar's guilt or otherwise in respect of that matter."

Henry Usher, PUP Chairman
"The scope of the committees work was not to determine guilt or innocence, it was merely to go a fact finding mission and present those facts as unbiased as possible to the members of the national executive."

Jules Vasquez
"The fact maybe that he did take it."

Henry Usher, PUP Chairman
"That is for a court of law to determine, not us."

"The report did not yield anything, there is nothing there. The allegation were baseless."

Now, Saldivar says he will run independently

"I'm prepared to run independent of the PUP. I will be a candidate in the upcoming general elections whenever it is called."

"We hope that is not the case that there Mr. Saldivar does not run independent, but at the end of the day we will do what we have to do as a party to make sure that we put in place a candidate who we believe can be successful."

Jules Vasquez
"You will then be an outsider, an interloper, a persona non grata within the PUP in Belize Rural North."

"It is not about the PUP in the Belize Rural North. Arthur Saldivar's candidacy is for the people of Belize Rural North, not for the PUP."

Jules Vasquez
"Rufus X ran independent and he got a small number of votes. No independent will win, you need to have a mass party with you, you will lose."

Arthur Saldivar
"Again, none have yet."

And not many have been removed as standard bearer:

Jules Vasquez
"A former two time Prime Minister was charge for theft in magistrate's court and he wasn't expel."

"Obviously that is a consideration Jules and yes fairness is a very important factor."

Jules Vasquez
"Mr. Musa was charged theft of a substantial amount of public funds, he wasn't convicted of that, but he was charged for theft. You haven't been charged for anything."

Arthur Saldivar
"I am here to discuss anybody else. The people will decide that."

Jules Vasquez
"The people have decided that. The people is called the executive."

Arthur Saldivar
"No, I am talking about the people of Belize. The executive is only a small set."

Jules Vasquez
"The people who Belize don't get to decide who runs for the PUP apparently, they executive does and they've decided that you won't."

Arthur Saldivar
"I would not discuss Mr. Musa."

Jules Vasquez
"But sir, what is the standard by which you were ejected then? Is it because somebody doesn't like you, they don't like how you go on, you go on crazy?"

Arthur Saldivar
"I think that is a question for you to ask the Party Leader."

"I certainly as leader of the party have no agenda. I wish that this matter had not arisen. I wish that Arthur Saldivar was in a position that these problems had not arisen."

Jules Vasquez
"What happen is that you get huff - there are about 25-30 members of the executive and only 5-6 spoke in your favor. The PUP executive does not want Arthur Saldivar - that's the reality."

Arthur Saldivar
"Again Jules, it's not a matter of what 25 persons say around a table."

Jules Vasquez
"Any standard bearer duly elected can say maybe they come for me next because somebody jump up and say x,y,z and although false it may be."

"I am satisfied that there was due process. We didn't just jumped up."

Jules Vasquez
"Isn't it a fact sir that now any PUP standard bearer stands to face the same fate as you."

Arthur Saldivar
"There is a very dangerous precedent that has been set."

And one Saldivar may challenge in court:

Arthur Saldivar "At this particular time the decision made by the executive stands, but the court of law will be given a chance to determine whether or not whether it is constitutional within the parameters of what the PUP has as its governing guidelines."

Reporter
"Do you foresee a legal challenge to the decision of the national executive?"

"I do not."

And while the party leader breathed a sigh of relief after his secretary General ended the press conference for him, it's clear there will be days ahead in this battle:

Arthur Saldivar
"It cannot be that we have a tyranny in the PUP."

Channel 7

#496012 - 09/24/14 11:05 AM Re: PUP suspends Arthur Saldivar [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

The Case Against Arthur

On Friday night on 7News, you saw the extraordinary interview given by Arthur Saldivar where he withdrew all threats of running independently, told his supporters to stand down and fall in with the party, and lamented the fact that Melonie Coye, was actually suing him. But, she is, very much so. Her attorney Eamon Courtney filed the lawsuit on Thursday September 18th. 7News has obtained a copy of the statement of claim, and we look at what it says tonight, and Saldivar's response from Friday:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
The claim form filed in court says the claim is for nine hundred and four thousand, seven hundred and forty dollars. The statement of claim narrates the events as they occurred: that Saldivar accompanied Coye to the Central to collect 1.676 million Belize dollars and two thousand US dollars.

Counting started at 1:30 pm with Coye and Saldivar sitting at separate tables along with officials of the Central Bank and the FIU. It took 7 hours to count and they finished at 8:32 pm.

As detailed in this breakdown provided by the Central Bank - and signed by Coye. The cash was stuffed into two suitcases and the claim asserts that Saldivar carried the bigger one, with nine hundred and four thousand dollars. Coye says she informed him that the monies would be taken to her residence.

But the claim says that once Saldivar exited the building, he refused to return the suitcase with cash to her. It says he took the suitcase and drove away. All of it is signed and sworn by Melonie Coye, a fact which left Arthur Saldivar crestfallen and wounded.

Arthur Saldivar, Former Melonie Coye Attorney
(Shakes head, breathes) "I look forward Jules to clearing my name. I repeat that. I believed that ultimately truth would prevail, good sense and conscience in truth would prevent this from going to this extent."

Jules Vasquez
"You are emotional, you have a heavy heart. Why is that?"

"I've been known to have a big heart and....."

Jules Vasquez
"But I don't know you as a fragile guy. You and I have been through a lot. I've confronted you on many issues and you always taken it smilingly, but it looks like you got hit hard."

"I believe in people. I believe in the decency of human beings. I believe generally that people are good and I believe in my client up until this filing. I don't know really what has caused her to abandon every aspect of good that I've shown to really reach a point where she would come to this."

Jules Vasquez
"You feel that your former client has betrayed you in a fundamental way, but it's like everybody had known this would have happen. It seems that only you thought it wouldn't."

"I really didn't think that it was going to happen."

Jules Vasquez
"Really."

"Yeah, I didn't. And all that we had to do to bring Melonie and her father to freedom, what's the price of freedom?"

Jules Vasquez
"$904,000?"

"I don't have that. I wish I did. But I do look forward to my day in court to clear my name like my party leader wants me to."

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,024 Topics
462,217 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.