Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#495221 - 09/01/14 06:32 PM Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits?
EyesOfStyle Offline
We just found our place in Belize, and I can't tell from the BAHA info. if we will have to quarrantine our dog. It looks like we will have to fax a health certification over to BAHA, and let them know 2 days in advance that we will be coming. But then there is a section about quarantine and I don't know if that applies to animals that have an import permit. Does anyone know, or have experience with this?

#495223 - 09/01/14 07:29 PM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
elbert Offline
My experience is ancient, but when I passed customs, just before I boarded Tropic for San Pedro with my dog they said, 'You'll have to have that dog quarantined', and just as I got on the Plane with Bubba I replied, 'OK! I'll bring him back tomorrow' and that was the last they saw of us. However things have changed a little but I don't feel you'll have to have the animal quarantined if you've got all the proper paperwork.
Check out this site http://www.baha.bz/animal_health.html
or call them,Tel: 011-501-224-4794 best to get it done in advance of your arrival...or the quarantine might be until the paperwork is processed with BAHA.

#495224 - 09/01/14 07:53 PM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
Noelle Offline
I've brought a dog in 3 times and a cat in once and never had them quarantined. I think the fine print for BAHA says they reserve the right to quarantine but they'll only do it if they think there's a health issue or if the dog doesn't have a rabies vaccine.

Make sure you get the vet certificate within 7 days of entering Belize (I think the BAHA web site says 14 days but the Belize info my vet had said 7 so we did that to be completely safe) and the rabies vaccine more than 30 days but less than one year before entering the country. Belize does not accept the 3 year Rabies vaccine so even if you're up to date with that, get another one.

Bring copies of your BAHA permit, health certificate and rabies certificate. The airline will probably take a copy and even though BAHA is supposed to be informed of your entry and permit they probably wont be. If you have all the paperwork organized and ready to go the guys in the BAHA office at the airport will be very appreciative.

If you have any problems or concerns, Ms. Melody at the BAHA office is very helpful:

Ms. Melody Robateau
Administrative Assistant/Permit Officer
Secretary for Belize Veterinary Surgeons Board
Animal Health Department
Belize Agricultural Health Authority
Central Farm, Cayo District
Tel: 501-824-4872/73/99
Fax: 501-824-4889/3773

animalhealth.baha@gmail.com

#495226 - 09/01/14 08:19 PM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
Wizardofaahs Offline
Quarantine is considered 30 days on your premises without going outside or mixing with other animals. You do need permit and need to be sure BAHA officer is at your entry point. They are at BZE until 4pm every day.

#495231 - 09/02/14 01:56 AM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
BeBelize Offline
I've never heard of anyone who had their pets quarantined upon entry to Belize. Like someone said, so long as you meet the requirements for rabies vaccine, import permit, and certificate of health, once BAHA inspects your pet (in our case, about a 5 sec. look over of our dog at the airport), you pay your fee and are on your way. They certainly never said a word about not going outside or mingling with other dogs for 30 days. Just follow the rules, and you'll be fine.

For non-pet animals (i.e., farm animals and the like), the rules are likely more stringent, but for domestic pets, it's quite an easy process.

As stated above, Melanie Robateau at BAHA is very helpful. We did everything through email and fax and never had to make an international call.

Good luck!

#495253 - 09/02/14 02:05 PM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
Judyann H. Offline
When I was traveling back and fourth to San Pedro with my Dog (almost 6 times a year)....They often reminded me to make sure I arrive during regular business hours for BAHA....Same when we shipped our larger dog here....They are easy to work with and quite helpful when you call.....I would recommend planning your trip to arrive well before 4pm and during the week.....That always seemed to work. In fact the guys got to know Sophia so well it was like a mini reunion each time we went through......

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#495295 - 09/03/14 12:56 PM Re: Do They Quarantine Dogs with Import Permits? [Re: EyesOfStyle]
Bluebird Offline
Also, make sure you have the correct amount of money. For some reason they can't make change. I made copies in triplicate (just in case) but we never had a problem except for giving them a big tip!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (RedRover, IGAmel, 1 invisible), 74 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.