Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#495237 - 09/02/14 05:46 AM Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica
Marty Online   happy
Remember the Gold Cup 14 months ago? And all the hype and hysteria that accompanied it? Well, tonight Belize's National Football Team is in Washington DC for the first game of the Copa Centroamericana, or Nation's Cup - and the event has received very little hype.

That's because it's a smaller event, and really only a qualifier for the Gold Cup - but also because the FFB is going through its own internal problems - and only brought players into camp a few weeks ago - whereas, for the Gold Cup, they were there for months.

But, no matter, the players will still be wearing that flag on their chests when they take the field at RFK Stadium on Wednesday afternoon. What was their state of mind as they took wing..? 7News was at the airport.

Jules Vasquez reporting
There was no great fanfare when the national team arrived at the airport. With veteran leadership, the team was calm and ready for Wednesday's game at the 50 thousand seat RFK Stadium in Washington DC.

Shane Orio is one of the veteran national team players:

Shane Moody Orio, Goalkeeper, National Team
"Hopefully that we'd be able to come together as a national team and once more have what it takes to make it teh goal cup."

Dalton Eiley, Defender - National Team
"The time was very limited, you never want to prepare for a tournament as big as this with just a month training, but the hopes are high, the players are excited. We did a good two weeks of training and the players' morale is high and we are ready for the tournament and we are going there to our best and hopefully we will do well."

Deon McCauley, Striker, Belize National Team
"It won't be easy for us. This time we are in a harder group so it will be more difficult."

Evan Mariano, Forward - Bze Nat'l Team
"Yes we have a short period of time to train and so forth, but it's up to us the players to go out there and give our all. We did it before and we could do it again. Nothing is impossible in this world."

Ian Gaynair, Defender - National Team
"I feel good because the core of players is still here; 11-12 of us that played in the last national team. I feel pretty good and confident that we could make history again for Belize."

Elroy Smith, Defender
"We just hope that everything that we put in practice we could make it through for the first game."

Evral Trapp, Defender - National Team
"We have a better unit this time, so I know that when we are going out there we will give a good run to qualify for the next tournament."

Harrisson "Cafu" Roches, Forward - National Team
"All of us feel good to be on the national team once again to represent our county and we will try our best regardless of the time span that we had to train. We know that it was difficult due to situations with the federation, but thank God we come together in the last 3 weeks and try to prepare our self. We will to do our best to try to qualify for the UNCAF."

Jules Vasquez
"Are you concern about only having 3 weeks in camp? Some of the players haven't really been in camp."

Leroy Sherrier Lewis, Coach
"No problem, we are positive, heart and mindset, so no problem. We have to be positive and you guys have to pray for us help us."

And as they checked in - the team has to have its thoughts on Wednesday's game - and their first matchup, which is Honduras:

"That was one of my first thought. They are fresh off the World Cup, having that high tempo coming back from such a big tournament. They will be looking to do well in this small tournament. We are not scared of them, we played them before. We are just going to go out there and do what we know how to do and do what the coach has taught us and we are prepared for them and I think we will go there and give them a run for their money."

Jules Vasquez
"Honduras is one of the regional power houses in football."

Shane Moody Orio, Goalkeeper
"Regional power house, but every game is different and every opponent is different. The most important thing is to focus and what we can do as a team to stay compact, not to worry about Honduras to worry about Belize and to do our job."

Harrisson "Cafu" Roches, Forward - National Team
"We are confident that we are going out there and we will do our part. We are not scared or we do not fear which opponent we are going up against, we will do our best."

Elroy Smith, Defender
"On the field it's 11 against 11. Right now they change their team, its not the same team that went to World Cup, so I think we have a good chance."

Ian Gaynair
"We stiil don't fear them because they haven't won a game in the World Cup and they are not bringing their A team to this Nation's Cup, so we don't fear them."

Woodrow West, Goalkeeper - National Team
"We played against Honduras the last time and they are a very good team and I give them a lot of respect but I do not fear them at all."

"It's 11 against 11 - nobody is going to frighten us - no fear."

"A draw would be good for us on the first game against Honduras or we are going for the victory, nothing less than a draw will come our way."

The team that will be out there will try to change from the trademark defensive style:

Shane Moody Orio, Goalkeeper
"As much as people say that Sherrier is a defensive coach, he is not defensive. The way he wants us to play is attacking football taking care of the ball and limiting the opponent with touches."

Elroy Smith, Defender
"Really and truly I think that we have to go out there to put the game to these people. We can't go out there to sit back and relax. We have to go offensive. That's the only way we can win the game if we go offensive. If we stay back and relax it will be pressure and a team that take pressure for 90 minutes doesn't hold out too long."

"We have more offensive players now with Danny and Jaro and Jarette, so the team is very balance now."

Ian Gaynair
"We have a couple new players and some of the players that we got new mostly attack, so I think thats the difference we will make."

And the players seemed ready to focus on the game - even amidst the usual distractions in camp:

Jules Vasquez
"Are your minds clear heading into this tournament that there are no pending issues as they were last time?"

Deon McCauley, Striker, Belize National Team
"Well I don't know what the federation is doing to solve those problems, but those problems are not my problems. They have to figure that out themselves. My job is to play and that's why I am here."

"Those stuff aren't on our minds. We have already settled all of that in a meeting with the president and the committee and everyone, so that's the last thing on our mind right now. We are focus trying to qualify in these games and move on the gold cup once again."

Ian Gaynair
"No issues any at all. The only thing that is on our mind right now is to go out there and represent our country and win. We are not worrying about anything negative, nothing bad that already happen to all of us players - nothing about our federation, about them owing us. Our main objective is to go out there and win and to qualify again to go to gold cup next year."

And at least one fan was there to make sure they feel the love:

Donald Harris, Superfan
"Because they need the moral support. I can't go with them, so it's just moral support. When they see me with a Belize flag - that goes along with them. When they come back they expect to see me as well."

So, they left, confident:

"The players have a lot of heart, a lot of stamina and a lot of soul, so they never give up in any moment, don't matter how hard it is."

Evan Mariano, Forward - Bze Nat'l Team
"We just have to believe in each other like what the coach always say we have the talent to play the ball. Go out there and play the ball and don't be afraid of anybody - play the sport and you will win."

Ian Gaynair
"Our destination is to reach LA because if you reach that means you qualify, so we are going out there to Washington, Dallas, Houston - those 3 states - we are going out there and give our all and definitely when we come back to this country you all will be proud of us because we will qualify again."

Wednesday's game will be played at 5:00 pm Belize time against Honduras. Belize is in group B with Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. The team's second game will be on Sunday in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl at 5:00 pm when Belize plays Guatemala.

Channel 7

#495300 - 09/03/14 10:34 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
don't forget that Belize is playing Honduras delayed on UNIVISION DEPORTES tonight...8:30 on the west coast of the USA...not sure in which markets it' s live and where it's shown taped. Live its at 4:30 pm.

#495319 - 09/04/14 05:17 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Honduras vs Belize Final Result:
Winner is Honduras with final score of 2-0

Honduras vs Belize Goals:
35' Honduras (J. James (o.g.)), 37' Honduras (E. Smith (o.g.))

#495320 - 09/04/14 05:22 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Own-goals propel Honduras past Belize

Honduras benefited from a pair of own-goals to register a 2-0 win over Belize in the first 2014 Central American Cup match for each on Wednesday at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium.

The Group A victory extended Hondurans’ streak of conceding one goal or fewer in the competition to 16 games.

In new head coach Hernan Medford’s debut, the 2014 FIFA World Cup participant became the first team in tournament history to reach the 100-goal mark. The second own-goal enabled it to hit the milestone, but it came as a result of another CCA first – two own-goals in the same game.

From the start, Honduras looked sharp and played with purposeful intent.

Forward Antony Lozano embodied that adventuresome spirit for a side that looked distinctively different from the one that lost all three games at Brazil 2014 only two months ago. Early on, the Olimpia standout had an effort from seven-yards out blocked by goalkeeper Woodrow West and saw a bicycle kick whistle past the right post.

The three-time CCA champion finally broke through in the 34th minute. A right-sided corner kick was swung outwards in the direction of a jumping Erick Norales. The Honduran defender could not connect, but the ball found the head of Jeromy James, who powered it beyond his own goalkeeper.

Only three minutes later, Belize was stung by another inadvertent miscue. From the right side of the box, Wilfredo Barahona tried to guide a pass towards the far post. In a sliding attempt to make a block, Elroy Smith pushed the ball past West into his own net.

The active Hondurans were unlucky not to tack on more goals after the break.

Another Lozano bicycle kick in the 52nd minute was saved at point-blank range by West for a corner.

Shortly afterwards, Jonathan Mejia collected a deflected pass in the penalty area and fired a low right-footed shot that forced West into a full-stretch stop.

Honduras, which is unbeaten in nine of its last 10 CCA games, will next face El Salvador on Sunday, while Belize meets Guatemala. Both encounters are at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas.

#495373 - 09/05/14 06:32 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Jaguars Need A Win Or Draw In The Next Nation Cup Match

Team Belize lost two - nil to Honduras yesterday evening in Washington DC. The defeat was doubly disappointing because both of Honduras' points came from "own-goals."

But now, team Belize has to prepare for the Cotton Bowl in Dallas on Sunday where we take on Guatemala. If it is to have any hopes of moving on Belize has to win or tie in that game.

Channel 7

#495415 - 09/06/14 06:03 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Copa UNCAF on Univision Deportes: Guatemala vs Belize at 7pm USA Eastern time

#495444 - 09/07/14 05:42 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Guatemala v. Belize - Belize was the shock team in the 2013 edition of this tournament, qualifying for the Gold Cup for the first time in its history. A tough draw and a 2-0 loss to Honduras in its tournament opener makes that difficult for the nation. “I think it would be a huge blow if we don’t make it to the Gold Cup again. All the work we have put in through the years trying to get football to another level in Belize, it wasn’t easy,” Belize forward Deon McCaulay told Goal USA. “I think that if we don’t make it, it’s going to be something huge. We’d have to start all over again.”

To get through a win Sunday against Guatemala is a must, and it will require the team to generate more in attack than it did against los Catrachos.

“I’ve evaluated the last game that I played, and I think that I need to come down more for the ball and try to take on players one-on-one and try to find open spaces and help the other players moving forward with me move into space so I can create more,” McCaulay said. “I just plan to be explosive tomorrow and try to bring the best game I can bring.”

Of course, it will also have to keep Guatemala from scoring, something easier said than done with Marco Pappa in excellent form. The Seattle Sounders midfielder scored both goals in the team’s 2-1 triumph against El Salvador in Washington D.C.

“He had a great match out, he scored both goals as you know, he really delivered, but I’m very happy with the whole team,” Guatemala manager Ivan Franco Sopegno told Goal USA.

Belize has never beaten Guatemala, and it would be stunning to see them reverse that trend Sunday.

Upcoming Matches (Bze Time):

Sunday, September 7, 2014 – Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX

3:00pm Costa Rica vs. Panama

5:00pm Guatemala vs. Belize

7:00pm Honduras vs. El Salvador

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 – BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, TX

4:00pm Panama vs. Nicaragua

6:00pm El Salvador vs. Belize

8:00pm Honduras vs. Guatemala

Saturday, September 13, 2014 – Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA

2:00pm Third Place Group A vs. Third Place Group B

5:00pm Second Place Group A vs. Second Place Group B

8:00pm First Place Group A vs. First Place Group B

#495475 - 09/08/14 05:28 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Guatemala vs Belize Highlights
Final score, Guatemala 2, Belize 1

In the second match of the night, Guatemala beat Belize and also qualified for the Concacaf Gold Cup.

Former FC Dallas forward Carlos “Pescadito” Ruiz scored for Guatemala in the 25th minute. Marvin Avila scored the second goal in the 52nd minute.

Deon McCauiay scored the only goal for Belize in the 81st minute.

Play by play account here:

Belize Lost To Guatemala

The Belize National Football team lost a heartbreaker to Guatemala in Dallas yesterday in the ongoing Nation's Cup.

The final score was two to one.

Carlos Ruiz opened the scoring with a brilliant strike in the 26th minute. With his back to goal, Guatemala's all-time leading scorer took a cross off his chest, turned and beat Belize goalkeeper Shane Orio with a bouncing volley from 10 yards.

El Pescadito's sixth career CCA goal and first in 11 years came two minutes after Orio robbed Marco Pappa of his third tournament tally, making a sensational diving save on a 22-yard shot.

Avila put Guatemala in front, 2-0, in the 51st minute, latching onto a deflected cross and putting a lunging eight-yard header on frame. Orio dived to his right and made the save as the momentum carried the ball just over the goal line.

Deon McCaulay pulled back a goal for Belize in the 80th minute, when he took a short pass from Trevor Lennon and hammered a 24-yard shot from inside the right post for his fourth career CCA goal.

The Atlanta Silverbacks forward nearly scored 11 minutes earlier only to see goalkeeper Ricardo Jerez save his low, 10-yard shot before it caromed out for a corner kick.

Channel 7

#495557 - 09/10/14 05:48 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

El Salvador vs Belize Preview

El Salvador vs Belize
Competition – Copa Centroamericana
Date: 10th September 2014 (11th in EU)
Kick-off time – 01:00 GMT+1
Stadium - BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas
Live streaming - bet365

El Salvador meet Belize at the BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas this Wednesday evening to play their third match in Group B of the Copa Centroamericana 2014.

El Salvador lost their opening game 2:1 to Guatemala before defeating Honduras 1:0 last time out.

Belize lost 2:0 against Honduras in their opening match and followed that up with another loss against Guatemala (2:1).

Recent form: El Salvador – W L L L L W L Belize - L L L L L D L El Salvador have won 2 of their last 7 while Belize are winless in 7.

El Salvador are strong favourites with bookmakers to come out on top in this match – On paper, Belize have no chance of winning this match given their record of 2 goals scored in their last 9 games and 17 conceded – based on these stats alone, odds of (4/9) looks very reasonable for El Salvador.

Ultimately El Salvador should come out on top in this tie – they have some solid form mixed with some very weak form and poor performances but they face a Belize side who really struggle to score goals and ultimately this has been and will be their biggest downfall.

#495595 - 09/11/14 05:41 AM Re: Nat'l Football Team Leaves For Copa Centroamerica [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Burgos strikes again as El Salvador defeats Belize

Rafael Burgos and Arturo Alvarez struck for second half goals to lift El Salvador to a 2-0 win over Belize in both teams’ final Group A match in the 2014 Central American Cup at BBVA Compass Stadium on Wednesday.

The win gave the Cuscatlecos six points from three matches, the same amount Guatemala accrued from its opening two. Guatemala will face Honduras (3 points) in the Group Stage’s finale later in the evening.

The group winner advances to the final, while the runner-up will compete in the third-place match and the third-place finisher in the match for fifth place. Each of those games will be played as part of a tripleheader on Saturday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Burgos put El Salvador in front three minutes into the second half after being freed on goal by Alvarez’s through ball. The Minnesota United forward took two touches on a long run before beating Woodrow West low and inside the near post from 13 yards.

In the 69th minute, Alvarez put the game away when he finished a lengthy, ambitious run with a left-footed blast into the upper left corner of the net to give El Salvador a 2-0 lead.

The Salvadorans had two quality chances to score in the first half, but Burgos’ 16th minute effort from 14 yards was saved by West. The Belize goalkeeper also parried away an attempt by Alexander Larin from 10 yards in the 28th minute.

Just past the hour mark, Trevor Lennen nearly equalized for Belize, but his shot from 22 yards went wide of the right post.

El Salvador goalkeeper Henry Hernandez was challenged in the 83rd minute, diving to his right to knock away a bouncing shot by Deon McCaulay, who received a quality cross by Roberts from the right.

El Salvador improves to 6-0-0 in all-time CCA meetings with Belize, which lost all three of its Group Stage matches and was eliminated from the competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,260 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.