Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Do you guys know what type of melting cheese Belizeans seem to use for their Johnny cakes? I noticed the cheese was a white-yellow colored cheese with arabic writing on a blue wrapper. Anyone know the name of this type of cheese? Thanks!

The cheese I found most of the Local Chefs use is referred to as 'Dutch Cheese'...It is mostly white with a light yellow tint....Has a great flavor reminiscent of a Romano/Parmesan blend.....However, it comes in wedges or whole rounds with a red wax wrap....Keep in mind not all red wax wrap cheese is Dutch Cheese... I use it every now and then to cook with it....The texture is firm and the flavor is strong.....Hope this helps.....It's great in Tacos, Johnny Cakes, Veggie wraps. Of course Johnny Cakes have many variations, here and across the globe.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
T
t42 Offline
T
Just don't use the Mennonite cheese you need a blow torch to melt it.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Judyann H.
The cheese I found most of the Local Chefs use is referred to as 'Dutch Cheese'...It is mostly white with a light yellow tint....Has a great flavor reminiscent of a Romano/Parmesan blend.....However, it comes in wedges or whole rounds with a red wax wrap....Keep in mind not all red wax wrap cheese is Dutch Cheese... I use it every now and then to cook with it....The texture is firm and the flavor is strong.....Hope this helps.....It's great in Tacos, Johnny Cakes, Veggie wraps. Of course Johnny Cakes have many variations, here and across the globe.....

Any idea what the blue wrapper for the cheese could be? Or does "dutch cheese" have an arabic variant? Thanks! Might not even be used in johnny cakes. Lol... we found it in one of the supermarkets and the wife's been craving it since. Maybe another excuse to come back!

Last edited by paulie12; 09/02/14 08:42 AM.
The "dutch" cheese to which you refer is Gouda.

I
I
I'm not very sure if you would use the Gouda if you knew that in the meantime it's produced completely denaturalized and then going on this long travel to Central America? There are delicous and natural cheeses produced in Belize by Ian Anderson from Caves Branch lodge: Belize milk from the surrounding Menonite communities, no chemicals, daily natural treatment and great tastes and you can get it young or ripened in many flavors: Parmesan, Spressa, Brie, Camembert and many more. It was an amazing huge surprise for me to find this treasure in Belize - I'm a real cheese lover :-)

Diane I thought the same thing....at first...However, I found the two cheeses are completely different....The Dutch cheese can be found at Marina's as it is a local product....Different texture and flavor....But yes looks a little like wrapped Gouda...No Netting...Hope this helps....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.