Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hi - can anyone tell me how deep the water is out at Mexico Rocks mooring spot? If you kayak out to snorkel, how difficult is it to get back into a kayak there? I don't have a lot of arm strength but want to go. Thanks in advance for any advice. j

Capt. Hollywood, the kayakers from the article went outside the reef during bad weather and were thrown on the reef by the waves. Kayaking outside reef is very dangerous and should never be done, even during calm weather because the current can make it impossible to enter again.

JGambill, at the mooring buoys the water is about 10 feet deep, deepest spot 15 feet. Obviously never go outside the reef. Best to practice getting in the kayak close to the coast, because stepping on the coral is a big no-no as you damage the coral and might hurt yourself. The best way to get back into the kayak is keeping your fins on and use them to thrust out of the water and sit down sideways between your hands on the kayak. Then move one leg over the kayak and take your fins off.

Short

Live and let live
[Linked Image]

A
A
My wife and have done this several times, we're 62 and 58. We're in pretty good shape but not athletes by any stretch. Yes, practice getting in your kayak before you get too far out. Mexico Rocks is a great spot and from La Perla where we stay its about a 20 minute paddles, very nice.

Hopefully soon tourist will not be allowed to visit the reef at Mexico Rock with out a licensed tour guide.
Legislation has been on the shelf for some time now that will make it law to be with a Belize Tourist Guide to visit Mexico Rocks.
It's shocking how behind the rest of the world Belize is in matters as important as preserving our national treasure. The tourist hurt themselves and damage the reef. Equally as responsible are the resort hotels promoting unattended visit to their guests buy supplying them with kayaks, snorkeling gear and pointing to our Barrier Reef. My shop preforms at least one rescue a month and witness the damage done by collecting,harassing marine life, and walking on bottom by tourist sent out with no instruction, rules or chaperon.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
G
G
What would you define a tourist, for this exercise?

Long time expat captain was removed from another reef site recently for not having a tour guide. He was called a tourist, but him and his wife have lived and boated here for years....so the definition needs a little clarifying.

S
S
Don't have a tour guide license and want to get into a reserve? You're a tourist. End of story. Not saying all tour guides are perfect but we've had more than a few idiot residents out there.

Yes, resident visitors are higher on the list of offenders. They have spear guns and
think they are Tarzan. Tourism has evolved into peaceful, respectful visits to observe the marine wonders. Residents seem to be in a harvest mode. Last week I caught this Bozo with a bag of 15-20 crabs. I recognized them as a species with no detectable meat. He didn't have a cue of what they where other than crabs and thought he had collected a valuable meal. If he was a rare example it would be funny but the mentality of most is just like him.
and Residents...I don't mean to offend you GLF4 but most folks I know that claim residents are in reality tourist that own houses here.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks all for the info and commentary too. I think I'll take a licensed tour out as suggested at least for my first visit, just to make sure both I and the reef stay safe. Appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.