Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Fitness
“Well, if it’s not Jo Castleberry,” I said. “Where have you been keeping yourself?” “I’ve been keeping myself at home,” she said. “You should go out more,” I told her. “You need to get some sun.” “I need more than sun,” she said. “I need one of them makeovers.” “You mean like the ones on […]

National AIDS Commission Island Committee receives donation
Press Release – September 3, 2014 – National AIDS Commission Island Committee: The National AIDS Commission IC is pleased and excited to extend a most grateful thank-you to Edie & Joe Pendleton. Edie works with Alberta Health Services in Canada, where she is employed at the Royal Alexandra Hospital as a Social Worker in the […]

Doctor Love: Complicated Relationships
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, My girlfriend is 21 and I am 24 and we have a two year-old daughter. She still lives with her mom even though […]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Grenade Found in Crime Hot Spot
On Saturday afternoon in Belize City, officers on Banak Street. At 1:30 p.m. the grenade was found inside an abandoned house. The BDF was called to the scene and it was removed from the property without incident. It was labelled as Found Property since there was no one in the vicinity. Abandoned properties in Belize City are regularly used to hide marijuana and handguns. (The photo is a stock image of a grenade)

Commentary: The Garifuna people's patience has run out on racism
By Wellington C. Ramos If some people were to know the history of the Garifuna people they would just leave them alone. Who are these people? These people are descendants of the native Kalinagu and Galinagu Indians who migrated from the Orinoco region in South America centuries before the Europeans explored the Americas to occupy the Caribbean islands. They have a history of fighting and winning wars against all the nations they went up against. These nations included Spain, France and Great Britain. The Garifuna people have always been against slavery and subjugation of any people. This was the reason why they were prepared to fight and die rather than to surrender to any other nation.

IMF executive board concludes 2014 consultation with Belize
WASHINGTON, USA -- On June 23, 2014, the executive board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) concluded the Article IV consultation with Belize. Real GDP growth plummeted to 0.7 percent in 2013, from 4 percent in 2012, mainly due to continued declines in oil production and weak agricultural output, especially sugarcane and citrus. Unemployment stood at 14.2 percent in September 2013 and is on an upward trend since it hit its lowest level in 2008. Average inflation eased to 0.5 percent from 1.3 percent in 2012, as commodity price pressures abated. The external current account deficit widened to 4.5 percent of GDP in 2013 up from 1.2 percent in 2012, as exports of oil and agricultural products fell sharply while imports of fuel and electricity picked up. International reserves improved to 4.7 months of imports at end-March 2014 (up from 3.3 months at end-2012) mainly owing to PetroCaribe financing and private inflows.

Rotaract Adopt a Village Program
The Rotaract Club of San Ignacio continued their Adopt a Village campaign, and paid tuition and donated school bags to the students of the Yalbac village. Thanks, Rotaract! "On August 31st, 2014 Rotaract Club San Ignacio delivered backpacks and paid tuition for the students of Yalbac Village. It was a rewarding and life-changing experience."

Miss Neighborhood Watch Queen
The CNWA had their 1st annual Miss Neighborhood Watch Queen pageant last night in Santa Elena. They got plenty of fun pictures from the event. "Zone 10 NW group, part of the Cayo Neighborhood Watch Association held their First Annual Miss Neighborhood Watch Queen Pageant... it was so much fun, not even the rain stopped the show! Santa Elena people are not stopped by rain, what a great time, thank you to Zone 10 for putting this together! Great job!!"

Arthur Saldivar's Video Goes Viral
The House of Representatives met today in Belmopan but basically there were no fireworks, not even sparks. It consisted of the usual back and forth among parliamentarians and presentation of bills. We will bring you the full detail of today’s sitting in a few but first we start off with what is making headlines.But the man of the hour is in more serious trouble tonight that is after a video of him using foul language and obscene hand gestures went viral on the social media. It is not the proper way for someone who is seeking political office to conduct himself but then again, when it comes to Arthur Saldivar anything can be expected.

The Reporter

IMF: Belize economic outlook “worse than envisaged”
According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) medium term outlook for economic growth for Belize “is worse than envisaged” and real gross domestic product (GDP) growth would be weaker than expected in the near term. The IMF recently released the results of the Article IV consultation with Belize, which was conducted in June in Washington DC. According to the IMF, real GDP growth plummeted to 0.7 percent in 2013, from four percent the previous year, mainly due to continued declines in oil production and weak agricultural output, especially sugarcane and citrus. The IMF reported that unemployment stood at 14.2 percent in September 2013 and is on an upward trend since it hit its lowest level in 2008. It also reported that average inflation eased to 0.5 percent from 1.3 percent in 2012, as commodity price pressures went down.

Brazil’s former director of state-run oil company accuses politcians of corruption
Paulo Roberto Costa, an ex-director of Brazil’s state-run oil company, Petrobras has accused more than 40 politicians of involvement in a kickback scheme over the past ten years. Costa, who is in jail and being investigated for involvement in the alleged scheme, named a minister, governors and congressmen who were members of the governing Workers party and two other groups that support President Dilma Rousseff who is seeking re-election on October 5. Many of the names were published in Veja, one of Brazil’s leading magazines and several politicians mentioned have denied involvement. Costa claimed that politicians received 3 percent commissions on the values of contracts signed with Petrobras when he was working there from 2004 to 2012.

The Belize Times

GSU Must Go!!
The majority of right-thinking Belizeans are in support of the Opposition People’s United Party’s calls for the disbanding of the UDP Government’s Gang Suppression Unit. The GSU, trained with elite military forces in El Salvador by the United States of America, sprang into sudden action in 2010. By action we mean terrorizing community residents to instil fear. Over the years, the GSU has acted like an entity of its own with no one to answer. There is evidence that not even the Commissioner of Police or the Ministry of National Security have control over the GSU. In February 2012, following a vicious beat down of young men from Taylor’s Alley, the Ministry of National Security which heads the Police Department had to apologize to the victims for the reported abuses. They claimed to not have known of the operation nor have given the order for this attack.

UDP Fails Belize – Still No Changes to Barrow’s Draconian Gun Law
When the House of Representatives meets tomorrow, Friday September 5th, 2014, the members of the ruling UDP will report that they have failed to properly address one of the issues that have been terrorizing Belizeans: the criminalization of the citizens and abuse of the innocent through Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s heavy-handed gun laws. On Friday, August 29th, Prime Minister Barrrow appeared to be caught off guard by the media which sought an update on the changes to the firearms act which the Ministry of National Security had promised to carry out since February of this year. Obviously not quite sure what was taking place, Barrow said he “hoped and believed” that amendments to the gun laws could be introduced on Friday.

Bogus Growth!! – While the UDP grass grows, the horse starves
There is something considerably sick and wrong with a Government that would boast about so-called economic growth while the reality for its citizens tells a different tale. This week the Government-funded Statistical Institute of Belize (SIB) declared that economic growth in Belize had surged to an unprecedented 8.7% in the second quarter of the year. The SIB merited the growth to better performance in sugar and citrus industries, and incredibly, a 13.2% increase in the production/consumption of beer and 7.4% percent rum. This in the heels of a statement by UDP Minister Santino Castillo that stress is causing more police officers to turn to drinking. We can conclude then that more Belizeans are stressed out than ever.

Murder suspect caught by angry residents
Miguel Choco, a resident of San Pedro Columbia, was apprehended today by a manhunt led by angry and concerned residents. Choco was the main suspected for the murder of 61 year old Agripina Coc has reportedly confessed. Residents of San Pedro Columbia launched a manhunt on Sunday morning following the discovery of Coc’s lifeless body the night before. She had been left nude on the road side. A large cut injury was seen on her forehead. The killing of the senior citizen has been condemned nationwide. Press releases were issued this week by the Chamber of Commerce, National Council on Ageing and Helpage Belize, calling on the Government to deal with crime as a priority.

Has Barrow turned PetroCaribe Gift into Curse?
“The amount of the debt owed to Venezuela by many Caribbean countries is shrouded in secrecy because the process of dealing with Petro Caribe has not been transparent. ….The beneficiary Caribbean governments have much for which to thank Hugo Chávez and Nicolás Maduro, but they would be imprudent if they did not now begin to make adjustments to their budgets for a transition from dependence on Petro Caribe to buying oil on the international market.” “They would be sensible to approach the Caribbean Development Bank for technical advice on how to alter their financial circumstances to make the transition and to propose ways in which such a transition could be accomplished with the least amount of inevitable pain — pain which would be more desirable than calamity.” The above is the opening and closing paragraphs of an article written by Sir Ronald Sanders that was published in the Jamaica Observer in February of this year. Sir Sanders is a consultant, senior research fellow at London University and a former Caribbean diplomat. Under the title “Petro Caribe: Are Caribbean countries prepared for the worst?” the article delves into the intricate and mostly ignored facts about this novel and noble initiative from the late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.

Editorial: THE GSU IS BSU
Only in a Dean Barrow government could something like this happen. A Police Officer engaging in a personal and political attack on television against an elected member of the National Assembly. That member is also the former two time Prime Minister of the country. It is bizarre and unheard and underlines the low level to which the government is politicizing the police force and the public service. The Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Francis Fonseca, quite rightly, was swift and unsparing in condemning this latest outrage coming from the government. On Saturday 30 August in the Lake Independence constituency, the resurgent People’s United Party held its convention to endorse the return of Cordel Hyde as standard bearer for the next general elections. Over two thousand energized residents attended. Former Prime Minister and elected Area Representative from Fort George, Hon. Said Musa was one of the main speakers.

Belize loses to Honduras 2-0, autogoals
The Belize National A Team selection, the Jaguars, lost their 2015 Gold Cup qualifier game opener to Central American powerhouses, “los Catrachos” of Honduras. The Jaguars scored two goals, but on themselves, giving the Honduras team their first win in the tournament. Goal keeper Woodrow West was not able to stop the first autogoal, scored by Jerome “Jarro” James who headed the ball in an attempt to deflect a pass from corner kick. The ball, unfortunately, steered just below the goal’s cross bar and went right into the net in the 33rd minute of the game.

Shelton Graham, Manuel Esquiliano & Giovanni Choto win annual Pawpa Brown birthday race
Team Santino’s Shelton Graham won the A/B division, Truckers Posse’s Manuel Esquiliano won the C division and C-Ray Road Addikz’ Giovanni Choto won the elite division when the Weekend Warriors Cycling Club held its the annual Andrew “Pawpa” Brown series of races on the George Price and Philip Goldson Highways on Sunday. A/B Open (50 miles from Leslie’s Imports to Garbutt’s Farm mile 25) 1st Shelton Graham – Santino’s – 2:11:12 2nd Eric Burns – Scotiabank 3rd Robert Mariano – Digicel 4G 4th Barney Brown – Scotiabank 5th Ray Cattouse – Stationery House/Medina’s Jewelry 6th Santino “Chief” Castillo – Santino’s

Complex Generals win Firms basketball champs
The Complex Generals are the Belize District Firms Basketball Champions, after winning Game 3 of the Finals 61-54 over the Belize Bank Bulldogs at Bird’s Isle on Saturday night. The Generals were very tight on defense with a full court press in the crucial final game. The Bulldogs had to fight for each basket they scored, while Marshall Nunez Jr., Rhetton Belisle and Richards stole the ball and forced several turnovers.

PUP Statement on GSU
September 2nd, 2014 On Sunday evening, August 30th, 2014 the Rt. Hon. Said Musa, former Prime Minister of Belize and current Area Representative for Fort George, speaking at a Party Convention in Lake Independence, made certain specific comments about the conduct and operations of the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU). As a former ...

Hon. Jose Mai delivers school bags to needy children of OW South
Orange Walk District, September 1, 2014 With the cost of education on the rise, the assistance provided by Orange Walk South Area Representative Hon. Jose ...

UDP Convention flops in Corozal Town
Corozal Town, September 1, 2014 The UDP’s convention held last weekend to unveil the tired faces that make up their pack of recycled candidates for the upcoming town council elections turned out to be a major flop. The event, which was supposed to start at 10am saw a small handful of supporters ...

HOME ECONOMICS – The Need for Overhauling Home Mortgage Financing
By Richard Harrison Thousands of Belizean families are still living in sub-standard housing…many in “casas de carton” type dwellings…that slowly descend into ghettos, with several generations piled up one on top of the other. There is need for a complete rethinking and reformulating of the mortgage financing regime, in order to address ...

IN MY PERSPECTIVE – What We Need in Belize is Opportunity!
By Rayford Young On my last trip to Belize just a couple months ago, I had some friends over one evening just to chat and eat some Belizean food. The evening was going well then I said something that made one of my guests make a strange face and I knew ...

Hon. Joseph Mahmud – Serving the People!
Cayo District, August 30, 2014 From August 27th to 30th, the Cayo North Area Representative Hon. Joseph Mahmud organised the cleaning and lawn mowing of the Scared Heart Primary School yard in preparations for the resumption of classes. Hon. Joseph Mahmud is dedicated to enabling our children in our community to study ...

Hon. Dolores helps BRC students with school bags
Belize City, August 1, 2014 Through the generosity of SMART Hon. Dolores has distributed school bags to children in Spanish Town, Ladyville and Old Hattieville. The school bags bear the encouraging message: "Be Smart Stay in School!!" [caption id="attachment_21588" align="alignleft" width="600" caption="Hon. Dolores with some of the children receiving school bags"]...

Government’s Shameful Neglect of UB
By Gilroy Usher, Sr. A very disgraceful situation exists at the computer lab for the University of Belize as many of the computers are from the dinosaur-era. The situation is so terrible that a number of lecturers are urging students to bring their laptops to the computer class if they want ...

Joke of the Week!
The GSU Boss visits a farm in Camalote and talks with the owner, an old farmer. He tells the farmer, "I need to inspect your property for weapons and illegally grown drugs." The old farmer says, "Okay, but make sure you don't go in that field over there." The officer verbally explodes saying, ...

Tell we dah no soh!!
UDP Chairman Alberto August has been doing his best to keep “hush hush” an accident that nearly killed a resident of Bullet Tree Falls. Reliable information reaching this newspaper is that one of the quarrelsome UDP Chairman’s super-sized SUVs (the kind ...

WOMAN IN THE HOUSE: Welcome Home, Cordel
By Dolores Balderamos Garcia I attended and spoke at the endorsement convention for Cordel Hyde this past Saturday, August 30, 2014. We, and especially Cordel, were really 'God's Pikni' that afternoon and evening. He could not have asked for more beautiful weather, and at the Saint Martin de Porres Field in Belize ...

The St. Martin’s de Porres football field was the venue for the much-anticipated return of three-time PUP Area Representative ...

By Francis W. Fonseca Violent crime is a serious matter that requires serious attention and action. This attention and action must come from properly trained and adequately resourced security forces. These security forces, whether they be the Belize Police Department, GSU, BDF or Coast Guard, exist and function to serve and protect the ...

Some are more equal than others at the Ministry of Education
Dear Fellow Belizeans, We the instructors of ITVET Toledo need to inform you of an injustice continuing to take place at our school. On May 28 in the middle of our investigation into questionable practices by the Manager, Allen Genus, the board was asked to question the Ministry of Education and ...

In Search of True Justice at Immigration Department
Dear Editor, As we approach the one year anniversary of the most despicable act of treason committed by a sitting member of this Government, Belizeans continue to be deprived of answers and justice in the Immigration, Passport/Nationality irregularities. It is a shame and disgrace that the powers that be refuse to ...

Diaspora: Love don’t live here anymore
Dear Editor, I am happy that my letter asking the Diaspora “what have you done for me lately”, has stirred once more, the debate about what constructive roles the Diaspora can and should play in Belize’s national development. I was particularly interested to hear about the contributions of the Diaspora outside of ...

Police Abuse in Benque Viejo
Dear Editor, My name is Gomer Enriquez, I’m a resident of Benque Viejo. I have lived all my life here, except for the years I went abroad to study. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Business and Tourism administration and a Master Degree in Analysis and Administration of Reliability. I came back ...

Patrick JonesPJ

Students in Belmopan Area Schools Celebrate Literacy Day with a Bang
Students from all the Belmopan Schools gathered at the Independence Park on Friday, September 5 to celebrate International Literacy Day. The enthusiastic students came prepared with their posters that had information about Literacy, Health, and Peace. Although the theme for International Literacy Day is “Literacy and Sustainable Development” the Rally and Parade highlighted the importance of literacy, healthy living, and Peace. During the Rally the students entertained each other and the audience with music, drama, and song. The organizers express gratitude to all the teachers, principals, Mayor Simeon Lopez and the City Council Officials, decoration committee, and parents for making the event a success.

Students from Taiwan send computers for schools in Cayo
Eight schools in the Cayo district received computer donations and school supplies from students in the Republic of China, Taiwan. A total of 26 computers, including 12 laptops were handed out during a brief ceremony late last week at the Sacred Heart Auditorium in San Ignacio town. The donation of the computes and school supplies was facilitated by a group of visiting students from a University in Taiwan earlier this year and forms part of their outreach to assist with the learning experience for children. Aside from the computers, the donation included school backs, pencil boxes and colored pencils. At the handing over, the ambassador of the Republic of China, Taiwan, Benjamin Ho, oversaw the receipt of the donation by a representative of the respective schools.

Compassion School celebrates anniversary
The Compassion School, located in Yo Creek, Orange Walk, is celebrating an important milestone. That milestone is its twenty fifth anniversary of service to the community. The school first opened its doors in 1989 and on Friday the anniversary was marked with a special celebration. Past students, teachers, administrators and the school’s founders, including former politician Florencio Marin, Sr., gathered to mark the important milestone. Several presentations were made by the student body as well as token of appreciation were given to the panel at the head table.

Belmopan September Celebrations activities launched
Residents of the Garden City of Belmopan gathered at the Independence Plaza on Friday night, September 5, to witness the launching of the program of activities leading to our Independence Day, September 21. Mayor Simeon Lopez invited everyone to join in the celebration and make it memorable. He also highlighted the activities for the celebration period. The next activity will be Belmopan Battle of the Beats at 1 p.m. at the Governor General Field. Entertainment was done by Jason Wade and his dancers, Shanika Myers, Police Drama Group, Elijah Noralez, Students from Garden City Primary School under the guidance of Mrs. Beverly Requena, BAY Dancers, and Queen of the Bay Belmopan Designate- Ms. Jasmine Rhamdas.

The September 7th, 2014 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Possession With Intent To Supply:
    Just as we were going to press this Thursday night the report came in of another drug bust this one netting 132 grams of suspected marijuana. The report informs that at around 11 o’clock this Thursday morning a team of policemen, armed with a warrant, conducted a search on a premises located on 18th Street in San Ignacio Town. Present at the time of the search were Leon Nelson Smith, 27, and Roger Hilton, 26, both Belizean laborers. Nothing incriminating was found inside the house occupied by Leon Smith. The search then extended to the yard where, under a fire hearth, a member of the police team found a black plastic bag containing three smaller transparent plastic bags containing suspected marijuana. Smith and Hilton were arrested and jointly charged for the possession of controlled drugs with intent to supply.
  • Suspected Stolen Goods Found:
    Police today reported the discovery of several items suspected to have been stolen. As the cooperation between the community and the police continues to grow, based on a tip off, a team of policemen this Thursday afternoon visited an abandoned wooden house located at the corner of Zaiden Street and La Luma Luz Boulevard in Santa Elena Town where they found several items suspected to have been stolen and stashed inside the house. Among the items found were a sound system, standing speakers, tools, a vehicle jack, plastic containers, lawn chairs and plastic buckets.
  • A Man’s Fate Hangs In The Balance:
    Police are awaiting instructions from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions which could result in the arrest of a man on a rape charge. An 18 year old female of San Ignacio Town reported to police that on Sunday, August 24, she was socializing at the home of a male acquaintance when, under the influence of alcohol, she fell asleep on his bed at around 5:00 pm. She was reportedly awoken to the man having sexual intercourse without her consent.
  • Hillview Weed Without Owner:
    More black plastic bag, more weed found. Acting upon information received, a team of policemen visited a vacant lot in the Hillview area of Santa Elena Town at around 8 o’clock on Monday morning, August 25 where they found a black plastic bag containing 120.8 grams of marijuana. No one was found in the area. The weed was labeled as found property.
  • Editorial: The Possibilities Are Endless:
    The United Democratic Party (UDP) was the first political party to win an election in an independent Belize. The results of the 1984 general elections is said to have been a referendum on the people’s acceptance of the guiding of the nation into independence under George Price and his People’s United Party (PUP). When the votes were counted in the first general elections in Independent Belize, history was made as the PUP was booted out of office for the very first time. Included among those losing their seat was the new Prime Minister (formerly Premier) George Cadle Price who was soundly trashed at the polls in Freetown by the youngest UDP elected Area Representative, Derek Aikman. Hence began the political demise George Price, the father of the PUP. Price’s sister, Jane Usher was a powerhouse PUP area representative in the Pickstock division where she, to this day, operates the largest credit union in Belize, the Holy Redeemer Credit Union.
  • Samsung And LG Launch New Watches While Apple Waits:
    South Korean tech firms LG and Samsung have announced more smartwatches, ahead of a wide ly anticipated entry to the sector from Apple. The devices, from LG and Samsung, suggest renewed attempts to create a smartwatch that is perhaps more fashionable than previous efforts. Samsung's Gear S features a curved screen, while LG's G Watch R has a more classic watch design. Apple is rumoured to be preparing to launch its device next month. Technology news site Recode has said the smartwatch - dubbed iWatch by Apple's fans and some of the press - will debut on 9 September. However, in typically tight-lipped fashion, Apple has yet to confirm its plans.
  • Caesar Panti Jr. Receives Scholarship:
    “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” Benjamin Franklin once said. It is with this quote in mind that Adventures Sports Club is pleased to have been able to secure a one year scholarship for Mr. Caesar Rene Panti Jr to attend high school. The donation of $1,300 Belize dollars comes through the generous gift of Mr. Michael and Julie Lindo of New Jersey, USA, on behalf of BelCare Football Youth Academy. Mr. Caesar will be attending Sacred Heart College so the funds will be utilized to cover registration fees as well as needed school supplies including text books and utensils. BelCare Football Youth Academy is a fully incorporated organization whose purpose is to provide children of grassroots ages 6 -12 the opportunity to play football in a safe environment of fun and enjoyment.
  • Chilean Sailor Makes History After Announcing He Is Gay:
    A sailor in Chile has become the first serving member of the Chilean armed forces to announce he is gay. Mauricio Ruiz, 24, told a televised news conference his decision had "not been easy", but he wanted to help fight discrimination against homosexuals. Mr Ruiz said that what was most important was not a soldier's sexual orientation, but his or her willingness to serve the country. His announcement came with the full backing of the Chilean armed forces.
  • Garcia Pleads Guilty:
    A Sunday night search at a house in Santa Familia Village, Cayo District, resulted in the discovery of almost 6 grams of suspected weed seeds. At around 9:30 pm on Sunday, August 24, two policemen visited the Santa Familia residence of Belizean laborer, Mervin Carrias, 27, to conduct a search for drugs. The search led to the discovery of the trademark black plastic bag near the kitchen. Opened in the presence of Carrias, the bag was found to contain suspected weed seeds. The occupants of the house, Mervin Carrias and his common-law-wife, Rosseli Garcia, 20, were instantly detained and transported to the police station in San Ignacio where, when placed on the police digital scale, the product was recorded at 5.81 grams.
  • Another Small Haul:
    As the aggressive police operations in the community continue, there is the report of the arrest of a crack addict and the confiscation of a piece of crack cocaine, a crack pipe and a penknife found in his possession. At around 11:15 p.m. on Saturday, August 23, police on routine mobile patrol pulled up alongside Francis Vera, an alleged crack addict, as he was walking on Carmen Street in Santa Elena. Vera complied with the instruction to halt and when searched he was found in possession of a black metal pipe suspected to be an instrument used to smoke crack cocaine along with a small piece of hard substance suspected to be crack cocaine and a six inch knife with a black handle.
  • Gastroenteritis:
    Gastroenteritis or infectious diarrhea is a medical condition from inflammation ("-itis") of the gastrointestinal tract that involves both the stomach ("gastro"-) and the small intestine ("entero"-). It causes some combination of diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain and cramping. Dehydration may occur as a result. Gastroenteritis has been referred to as gastro, stomach bug, and stomach virus. Although unrelated to influenza, it has also been called stomach flu and gastric flu. Signs and Symptoms Gastroenteritis typically involves both diarrhea and vomiting, or less commonly, presents with only one or the other. Abdominal cramping may also be present. Signs and symptoms usually begin 12–72 hours after contracting the infectious agent. If due to a viral agent, the condition usually resolves within one week. Some viral causes may also be associated with fever, fatigue, headache, and muscle pain. If the stool is bloody, the cause is less likely to be viral and more likely to be bacterial. Some bacterial infections may be associated with severe abdominal pain and may persist for several weeks.
  • UniBAM Response To Amandala:
    UNIBAM categorically denies allegations made in the Amandala Editorial “Government and Gays” of 14th August, 2014 and wishes to set the record straight on the following matters: 1. There is no secret funding from the US Embassy! The Embassy generally issues calls requesting proposals for funding from the NGO community. UNIBAM has submitted proposals in response to grant calls and have received a total of US$35,000.00 over the years 2011 and 2013 as well as several other Belizean NGOs.
  • Expo Belize Market Place 2014:
    Spirits are high as we prepare for our 18th annual Expo Belize Market Place 2014 scheduled for September 6th and 7th, at the ITVET Grounds on Freetown Road in Belize City from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.! The Belizean public is buzzing with anticipation as various micro, small, medium and large enterprises, both new and seasoned, have booked their booths to display quality products and services. The EXPO promises to lead the way into our September Celebration season with countless deals and steals, a fashion show and live music entertainment, fun activities for the kids, chances to win great prizes and much more!
  • Ministry of Health Shares Results of Foodborne Disease Research Study:
    Belmopan. August 25, 2014. Last week the Ministry of Health in partnership with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Belize and the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) presented the results of the Burden of Illness (BOI) research study on Acute Gastroenteritis and causes of Food Borne Illness in Belize. The study launched in September 2012 and was aimed at estimating the proportion of the population suffering from Acute Gastroenteritis (AGI), also known as stomach flu, at a specific time period while also estimating the economic burden the disease has on the public health system.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

The FULL Sir Barry Bowen Belikin Bash Experience Plus Dolla Beer!
Last night was the final night of one of the bigger celebrations – the annual Belikin bash. A giant free three day concert and party featuring all Belizean artists and plenty of Belikin beer. A few hundred artists (Gilharry 7 and Caribbean Connection are massive bands), hundreds of Belikin staff and thousands of Belizeans celebrating BELIZE! Celebrated annually during the Independence month and the birth month of the now deceased and sorely missed Sir Barry Bowen, this is one GIANT EVENT. And one that I’d never attended in Belize City. Missing out on the big Belikin bash? The beer of Belize “giving back through music”? This must be remedied. So far, the bash had been a huge success. Word on the street is that about one thousand people attended on Thursday night, about 3000 on Friday and about 5000 were expected last night…

My September Celebrations surprise party
Since my birthday falls under the biggest party month in Belize “September Celebrations” I decided to throw myself a really good surprise party. I knew I could use my birthday as a good excuse to get Paul off the island for some old fashioned country downtime. You might be wondering how can you through yourself a surprise party? The surprise part is actually for Paul, and something to do with one of his fav book series Lord of the Rings and the custom of people giving away gifts on their birthdays instead of receiving them. He did it for me when we first started dating so I figured I would give it a go and in my book awesome parties make great gifts. I know he will not mind I have turned our romantic birthday getaway into surprise celebration with friends. It will make the moonlight horse ride and bonfire so much better, plus I can’t wait to watch Tinker with the talking birds. We flew out this morning on the 8:00am Tropic flight from San Pedro to Belmopan, another round of people will take the 11:30 flight. A few of the gang decided to get some extra adventure in by flying to Municipal Airport on the 9:00am and catching the 10:00am express bus to Belmopan, they will be here any minute. The last two are joining us Monday for the big party.

International Sourcesizz

Water's edge: the crisis of rising sea levels
As the seas rise, a slow-motion disaster gnaws at America’s shores. Part 1: A Reuters analysis finds that flooding is increasing along much of the nation’s coastline, forcing many communities into costly, controversial struggles with a relentless foe. Missions flown from the NASA base here have documented some of the most dramatic evidence of a warming planet over the past 20 years: the melting of polar ice, a force contributing to a global rise in ocean levels. The Wallops Flight Facility’s relationship with rising seas doesn’t end there. Its billion-dollar space launch complex occupies a barrier island that's drowning under the impact of worsening storms and flooding. NASA's response? Rather than move out of harm’s way, officials have added more than $100 million in new structures over the past five years and spent $43 million more to fortify the shoreline with sand. Nearly a third of that new sand has since been washed away. Across a narrow inlet to the north sits the island town of Chincoteague, gateway to a national wildlife refuge blessed with a stunning mile-long recreational beach – a major tourist draw and source of big business for the community. But the sea is robbing the townspeople of their main asset.

Belize ready for Guatemala in key CCA encounter
Belize (0-0-1, 0 points) head coach Leroy Sherrier Lewis is confident that his team is ready to square off against Guatemala (1-0-0, 3 points) on Sunday. The sides will meet at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, for the second day of play in the Central American Cup (CCA). In the Wednesday openers for each, Belize fell to Honduras (2-0) after conceding a pair of own-goals, while Guatemala topped El Salvador (2-1) on the strength of a Marco Pappa brace. “We played against a World Cup team, one of the largest in the area with vast technical expertise and quality,” said Sherrier in reference to the Hondurans. And now the Belizeans will go up against their neighbors, who have won three straight games, including friendlies against Nicaragua and Cuba.

Guatemala vs Belize play by play
final score 2-1 Guatemala wins

Costa Rica, Guatemala punch tickets to Gold Cup via Copa Centroamericana group play in Dallas
In the second match of the night, Guatemala beat Belize and also qualified for the Concacaf Gold Cup. Former FC Dallas forward Carlos “Pescadito” Ruiz scored for Guatemala in the 25th minute. Marvin Avila scored the second goal in the 52nd minute. Deon McCauiay scored the only goal for Belize in the 81st minute.

Sunday Crocodilian - Crocodylus moreletii Edition
Morelet's Crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii), also called the Belize Crocodile or the Mexican Crocodile, is found only in the eastern freshwater marshes, rivers, and lakes of Belize, Guatemala and Mexico. Up until the 1920s it was often misidentified as the Cuban Crocodile or American Crocodile. It is named for French naturalist P.M.A. Morelet, who described it in 1850. Morelet's Crocodile is generally darker in color than the American Crocodile, and has a shorter and broader head. Males have brownish-gray skins with black bands, while females tend to have more yellowish skins. Juveniles of both sexes are brighter yellow with black spots and bands, but the females don't get as dark as the males. They are on the smaller side, when compared with other crocodile species. Adults average about 9.8 feet (3 meters) and weigh approximately 128 pounds (58 kg). They have 66 or 68 teeth when fully grown.

Video: Creation Care Study Program: Belize, 3min.
Fall 2014 orientation week! It had some of the greatest experiences in my entire life. The country is beautiful and the people are great

Video: BELIZE 2014, 10min.

Video: You Betta Belize It, 4min.

Video: Guatemala vs Belize Highlights, 4min.
Final score, Guatemala 2, Belize 1

Video: Life on Caye Caulker Belize, 3min.
Some clips from life on Caye Caulker, Beize, 04-07. September 2014. Includes snorkeling with the sharks and rays on the local reef.

Video: Dusk at Xanadu San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize September 2014, 1min.

Video: Sailing Belize's Barrier Reef With The Moorings, 4min.
Chronicles of our 7 day bareboat charter with the Moorings. The boat is a Beneteau Oceanis 41 (Moorings 42.3) and the location was Belize's barrier reef! What an amazing experience for our first charter!

Video: Brooks and Leah in Belize proposal, 3min.
At a depth of 50 feet on the Barrier Reef in Belize, Brooks asks Leah to marry him. Coco Plum Resort Belize August 29, 2014.