Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49545 05/20/02 05:36 PM
OP Offline
This may be a little long-winded, but it's not even a fraction of all that's on my mind as I reflect on last week. I just got back late Saturday night from my second trip, which was even better than the first. I didn't think that was possible, but life has a way of surprising you!

We spent the first couple of days at Caves Branch - I'll post about that on the other section eventually. All I'll say here is that it is even more amazing than I ever could have imagined and if I go back, I will without a doubt stay longer. Great place, Ian! Anyone with a thirst for adventure should experience it. The Black Hole Drop was a day I'll never forget!!!!!

We were in San Pedro from Sunday through Saturday, and it was a week I'll never forget. The best part was the time I spent with friends I met last year (love you guys even more than before!), and making new friends, both Belizeans and travelers from all over. I can honestly say that some of the people I met last week have impacted my life and I'll never forget them. Every day was a new adventure, another activity, another night filled with adventures with a whole new breed of sharks (I say that in love, and with a sense of humor, but I think I'll leave the details to your imagination).

Like last year, my favorite daytime activity on the island was the Manatee/snorkeling trip I took with SEArious Adventures. It was a perfect day from start to finish. Willie and Ricky - you're the best! Ricky, you sure know how to make a sad girl smile. I'll have to remember to keep my eyes hidden behind those sunglasses! Seriously, Willie and Ricky are excellent guides. They are knowledgeable and attentive, and make sure everyone has a good time, sees what they want to see and experiences the best parts of Belize. We saw several Manatees, snorkeled, and enjoyed a great beach BBQ. One thing that shocked me was the number of boats that showed up on Goff's Caye that were doing similar trips. Last year, there was only one other tour group while I was there. We arrived and saw that there were probably 8-10 boats, and hardly another square foot space on that little island for us. No problem, no worries, we took off for Coco Solo and had ourselves a terrific time there on our own!

We did the Lamanai trip with Ricky at SEArious as well, and it was fabulous. Both Ricky and the Lamanai guide, Amir, were very knowledgeable about the history of the ruins, and pointed out many points of interest, birds, fish, crocs, howler monkeys, toucans, and other critters along the way. I couldn't have been happier with my two trips (ok, maybe if I hadn't enjoyed ladies night at Dockside so much the night before I went to Lamanai, but hey, so much to do, so little time!!!!)

The Island Low-down:
Breakfast: Estel's and Lily's were both excellent. Ruby's has great coffee and baked goods.
Lunch: Caliente still the favorite, gorditas were superb.
Dinner: Elvi's, Caliente (yummy curry coconut shrimp!), Fido's (great pork ribs that were so tasty another Portland tourist THAT I DIDN'T KNOW ate my leftovers because I had gotten the last of what they had.
Drinks: Most potent was some rum punch type of drink I had at Capricorn one afternoon. Couldn't even finish one. It was super yummy, and you definitely get your money's worth on that! Mango's also has nice mixed drinks. Tried my first Belikin, though I'm not a beer drinker. And the shots of Tequila - well, how can you mess that up? LOL! Thanks for the turning me on to those, Sandy!

Hot spots: Dockside was so much fun! Wednesday night is ladies' night. It's definitely a more local flavor, so be prepared for some loud music, lots of dancing and an all-around great time. Fido's was a favorite hang out. Barefoot Skinny was great - saw him several times, both on his own and with Category Seven. We also heard a great local Reggae band at Fido's and I think they were at Crazy Canuk's as well (I didn't make it there, but my traveling compadres did). Barefoot Iguana was fun, too. We went there Friday night and stayed out super late! Jaguar's - didn't like that so much. We were still probably too early (and too dang tired), and the strobe light was driving me crazy. Wasn't feeling in the mood for karaoke, anyway.

Favorite moments:

Waking at sunrise every morning (5:00am), even after staying out late. I never knew I could exist on 3-5 hours of sleep per night! A good cup of Ruby's coffee while sitting at the end of the boat dock is a perfect way to slowly start the morning while watching the sun come up and people start their days.

Laughing uncontrollably in Fido's bathroom, and again at the International airport on departure with my amigas.

Snorkeling and general on-the-boat fun with SEArious.

Hanging out on the beach with friends.

Walking back to the hotel late at night under the stars with my toes in the water and sand. What's not to love?

Oh, there were other favorite moments too, but sometimes what happens in Belize needs to stay in Belize!!!! LOL!

Important lesson learned: "Hanging out" has a very different meaning with (some) Belizean men than any definition of the term I have ever heard or used before.

I'll have to check my journal and see if there are any important things I left out (that are appropriate to share). Hope you all enjoyed the report. I can't wait for the next trip!!!!!

#49546 05/20/02 07:50 PM
Nice report. Glad you had a great time and I'll have to consider Searious for my next trip. Time to start planning your next. Becky.

#49547 05/20/02 08:16 PM
KC Offline
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I think I'm going to have to e-mail you for those "other details!" HA Sounds like you had another wonderful time!

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 05-21-2002).]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#49548 05/21/02 01:53 AM
L
L
Great report. Seems like someone else has learned to enjoy some shots of Vitamin T - my favorite!

#49549 05/21/02 07:49 AM
Our last trip we saw a guy at the Palapa with an AC t-shirt on that said at the bottom, "What goes on on the island, stays on the island"! Loved It1!!!

#49550 05/21/02 10:01 AM
OP Offline
KC - we met lots of Oregonians on the island this time. Maybe we'll have to get that Oregon party together sometime this summmer!

rickcheri - I WANT THAT SHIRT!!! I didn't see one, but will be looking next time, for sure!

#49551 05/21/02 10:53 AM
KC Offline
Lots of Oregonians? That's cool!

I will keep my eyes peeled for the shirt. I'll get you one if I see it.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#49552 05/21/02 11:38 AM
Islandjunkie...i asked the guy and he said he had it made himself!! The back had the whole outline of AC on it, in black, with "Ambergris Caye, Belize" on the top part, and "What goes on on the island, stays on the island" on the bottom. It was great!! C (had it made)

#49553 05/21/02 06:38 PM
OP Offline
Too bad about the shirt. Someone should market it, I'm sure it would do well! Thanks, anyway, KC!

Becky, surely do consider SEArious - you won't regret it. They're some of the best (and most fun) people around, IMHO.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.