Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Those of us who are no longer considered to be part of the Younger Generation will
remember those words as the beginning of a song. I will go further into the song and
say 'Would you rather be a mule?". I am looking for MULES! I have several
reconditioned laptop computer that I need transported to Caye Caulker for the Ocean
Academy High School. If you don't know about Ocean Academy (www.cayecaulkerschool.com),
it is a high school that was started several years ago by both locals and expats so the
students on Caye Caulker would not have to go to the mainland to attend high school.
It is a non-profit high school and operates on a shoestring budget.

We Norte Americanos do not realize that parents have to pay for their children to attend
high school. For this reason, a very large portion of children in Belize end their education
after primary school. Ocean Academy is trying to remedy this situation by providing a high
school that depends in large part on the donations of time, supplies, and money from volunteers.
Last year, they had their 10 students graduate. This year, there were 12 students.

Shipping the several laptops would be prohibitively expensive. Because each person
traveling through customs is allowed to bring a laptop computer duty free, I am looking
for Caye Caulker travelers to carry them. If you are traveling to Caye Caulker and are
willing to be a MULE, please PM me with your name and shipping address. Give me at least
10 days before your departure date to pack and ship (FedEx) each laptop. If you are
traveling with more than one person, each one could carry a laptop. When I ship a laptop
to you, I will email to the school your name, address, email address, and departure date
so they will know to expect you. The school is located near the airstrip. All you have
to do is ask anyone for directions.

Thank You.

Last edited by neiljoba; 09/10/14 04:46 PM.
D
D
Looked into shipping ? About $29 each

Originally Posted by Dane
Looked into shipping ? About $29 each

Plus Duty??

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
D
D
Used donations have no duty. Most folks, including some at the school, don't know how things have changed with shipping,esp. US postal.

Last edited by Dane; 09/10/14 04:46 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
Sorry Dane. That $29 shipping through USPS doesn't work. The Laptop is a larger one that would require a box at least 16"Lx12"Wx5.5"H. (The height is the minimum specified by USPS.) The cost would be just over $79. This laptop was purchased on eBay as not working for $35 with shipping. The repair costs were $52 (screen & keyboard). Although that laptop now has a value ~$300, I cannot see paying $79 to ship an $87 dollar computer to Ocean Academy when I can ship it to a traveler via FedEx for $15 and have that person volunteer to carry it to Ocean Academy.

D
D
Nice of you to donate it. Thanks for the info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day