Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

GOB makes a quiet move to subdivide part of proposed reserve

he Co-Chair of the Ambergris Caye Citizens for Sustainable Development (ACCSD) Phillip "Billy" Leslie has remained quiet over a portion of a proposed reserve wetland that is being surveyed for housing lots. The area in question is 40 acres in size and sits on the southern tip of Area F of the proposed expansion of Hol Chan Marine reserve originally known as the Ambergris Caye Wetlands. The project was spearheaded by the ACCSD. Prospective parcel holders are being charged a total of $550 in survey and inspection fees, for a small parcel of submerged wetland that has been surveyed with the permission of the Government of Belize (GOB).

ACCSD co-chair Billy Leslie has refused to comment, indicating that he was unaware of the PACT grant that was cancelled and about the new subdivision in the proposed reserve. He said that he would not respond to "rumors." However, several sources indicated that Leslie has been aware of the two issues since he was present at a stakeholders' meeting where both issues were raised.

One person who played a vital role in the process for the proposed reserve expansion is former President of the ACCSD, Elito Arceo. Not only is Arceo disappointed that ACCSD has refused to comment on something that was the brainchild of the environmental organization, but said that he is disappointed that their hard work is being threatened. "When you offer people property, they get the impression that it is dry land and what is being offered is not even swamp, but lagoon. Indeed our residents need land, and sure, give them the land, but give them land on which they can build, live on and with all necessary infrastructures in place. This island is big, and if government is serious about giving good land, they can because the island has high and good land on northern Ambergris Caye," said Arceo. He added, "Dates after dates have been set aside for the signing of the SI, and as you can see, a couple years down the road, nothing has happened. It is unfortunate and shameful."

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

JZB Offline
Minister Heredia should be ashamed of himself. A fisherman himself who is now the minister of TOURISM should have been fighting for the marine reserve with every fiber of his being. ITS HIS JOB. Not the opposite. SAD

If memory serves me correctly, public outcry stopped the South Beach debacle and the ruination of Congrejo Caye.
Step up, speak out - support and encourage the fishermen and tour guides to make a stand. They know what they are loosing more than anybody.

Don't stop the carnival........what a bunch of clowns......if they only listened to what they say.....ignorance at it's best.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
Upon inspection everyone concerned will immediately see that the water is NOT at all "above normal." I mean yes, levels fluctuate a bit, peaking roughly twice a day, curiously in seemingly some sort of direct relation to the phase of the moon at the moment? But the levels seem all very "normal", what they probably have been at for a very long time. Much in the same manner that the level of the water at the end of our dock is pretty much "normal" (though perhaps shallower than the area in debate.)

Last edited by SFJeff; 09/19/14 07:23 AM.
No need to push the water once we have blown the dam. I think now to have the Reserve go forward all is necessary is to have Belize Minister of Forestry, Fisheries & Sustainable Development Lisel Alamilla sign it and I think it's on her desk and has been for some time, What's up Lisel ? am I wrong?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
WHO ARE THE 150 PEOPLE who were able to buy lots? These 150 were able to afford $550.00 each to pay for the survey?
This does not sound to me like "the people who need land." This sounds more like the island elite who already own lots of land that they then turn around and sell to developers then cry out that developers are taking away the land from 'the people.'

How were these people selected? Where does the word 'transparency' fit in this scenario?

When and where did these seemingly 'secret' meetings take place. Did these people know they were buying waterway?

So you may say 'that's just the way it is done here.' And I say remember when parents lashed their children and husbands beat their wives because it was just the way it was done here? I say grow up. Perhaps practice the religion you preach.

FRIENDS OF AC: The spot light must be kept on this - all aspects and all persons involved. Good investigating so far.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Junior Heredia Has a "Plan B" For "Zone F"

A week ago, we told you about the land and conservation dispute on San Pedro. The issue involved a housing project, which the Area Representative Manuel Junior Heredia intended to put in an area set aside as a Wetland Reserve, one which was never formally recognized by the Government. As we told you, this wetland area, which features mangrove forests and a sprawling lagoon, was supposed to be part of Zone F expansion for the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. The plans were drafted up, and funding was already secured, but, supposedly because of Government red tape, the reserve was never signed into law by a statutory instrument. The environmentalists who have been following the project closely soon unearthed a planned housing area in part of the wetland reserve known as Sunset Cove. A survey was already commissioned, and the lagoon was parceled off, but the environmentalists sounded the alarm. Soon after, when we spoke with Heredia, he told us that he was rethinking the plan to put the housing project in that area. We didn't get a chance to ask all our questions because he was minutes away from boarding the last flight to San Pedro last week Tuesday evening. So, today, when we caught up with him at another event, we took the opportunity to continue to the conversation. He told us last week that he had not yet visited the area he planned to turn into a housing project. So, we asked him why hadn’t, given that the critics of this project says that it is a highly unsuitable location given that the supposed lots were submerged under 3 feet of water. Here's what he told us:

Daniel Ortiz

"Why exactly didn't you visit the area before so that you can tell if the location is appropriate or not? Because it is under water."

Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. - Area Representative, Belize Rural South

"The mapping section in natural resources will usually show the layout of what you will do. And just like the camera shows in google and we agreed that anything that is above normal will be removed and I said to you all in San Pedro. As soon as we decide what will be done or if we will do it any at all, then we will decide what can be given and what cannot be given."

Daniel Ortiz

"There was the concern that this particular location will become another San Matio because it is inappropriate because of the water in the area. You as a minister, would you not want to choose locations that are higher up, higher land that is more appropriate for housing?"

Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr.

"If there was anything better in anywhere to be given, definitely it would happen. But let me tell you, where I live is right downtown now, you know what that was before? Swamp, where they use to throw garbage and anything. Most of the area from Boca Del Rio, all the way to San Pablo area, that was land that was worst then over there and it today it has become a community. It might not be suitable, but there are two ways to go, either you go up or you spread around. San Pedro for some reason believe that we do not want higher rise in San Pedro. What we want is cap it at a certain height and I said that anything is possible as long as you do it right."

"On the record, There is nobody that can say that Mr. Heredia has done anything that is in the interest of our people. Even after the media has commented, people have still been commenting, minister don't worry about what they say, what we want is a place to stay. But I do believe, that as a former fisherman and as a person who loves the environment, I have been involved in a lot environmental thing that has been done on the island. One, Hol Chan Marine Reserver, which is the best on the island and Bacalarchico was a part of that. In this same initiative about the other expansion of Hol Chan, I was a pioneer into that. Before that most of the shores was a nesting for boats, I was the one with approval of cabinet had that taken back and now we want to make sure it is conserved. "

Heredia told us that Cabinet has to sign off on his Plan B, which he refuses to discuss with the media this time since it is in its infancy.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Heredia Says He Supports Proposed Reserve Status…

There is some confusion which Minister Manuel Heredia seems unwilling to clear up where the wetlands of Los Bajos are concerned. When News Five spoke to Heredia last week, he blamed the P.U.P. for breaking the news about the subdivision being underwater. And today, he blamed the media cameras for making things look worse than they are. But what he hasn't been able to explain is why he initiated a subdivision in that particular area. As we've told you, those wetlands form part of a proposal for a marine reserve expansion which is currently before Cabinet awaiting approval. Ironically, Heredia claims to support that proposal, even as he continues to defend the subdivision planned there.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Representative, Belize Rural South

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"The way we have done things over there, the mapping section in natural resources would usually show you the layout of what you will do and just like the cameras show you over there in the Google that was presented showed look and we agreed that all the, anything that is above normal will be removed and I said it to you all in San Pedro, as soon as we will decide what will be done or we will do it any at all, then we will decide what can be given and what cannot be given. But on the record, there is nobody that can say that Mister Heredia has done anything that is not in the interest of our people. Even after the media had commented or done everything, people were still coming to me and saying Minister no worry about what they were saying; what we want is a place to stay. But I do believe as a former fisherman, as a person of the environment, I have been involved in a lot of the environmental things that have been on the island, one Hol Chan Marine Reserve, which is the best on the island. This initiative about the other expansion of Hol Chan, I was a pioneer in that. As I mentioned before, before that, all the shoals, most of the shoals were sold. Los Salones which was a nesting for birds, I was the one with the approval of cabinet that had that taken back and now we want to make sure that it is conserved. But what really happened is that the group wanted to expand as much as possible and that is where I think there was some resistance not only from one or two of my colleagues, but other ministries where probably their jurisdiction overlapped with the others. But overall, I believe that the shoals, and particularly the lagoons, need to be conserved for future generations to come. But there is no one from any party on the island that can say that they can match me when it comes to doing things for the betterment of my community."

Later in our newscast we'll take an in-depth look at another subdivision which was started in 1997 on the island. Today San Mateo is considered a slum of the island, and many of the residents still have no running water, electricity or sewerage facilities.��

Welcome to San Mateo…San Pedro Subdivision Turned Slum…

San Pedro on Ambergris Caye is a renowned tourism destination, the favourite of foreign visitors from every corner of the globe. Nestled alongside the world's second largest barrier reef, and the largest in the hemisphere, the island offers tourists their choice of five star resorts, every amenity known to man and world class snorkelling, fishing and diving. But the old clich� holds true on this beautiful paradise - progress beings problems. The growth spurt in tourism has resulted in a massive influx of Belizeans who seek to take advantage of the industry - and they all need somewhere to live. So on this island, unparalleled luxury and wealth share space with undeveloped slums and unbelievable poverty. Our News Five team travelled to San Pedro last week, to a small subdivision known as San Mateo. What we found there was shocking. Mike Rudon has that story.�

Mike Rudon, Reporting

La Isla Bonita, caressed by tropical island breezes and nature wild and free, has been immortalized in song by Madonna. It is a playground of the rich, a thriving tourism mecca. There seems no end to the island's potential as one of the world's premiere destinations. Just north of San Pedro Town, five star resorts and condominiums are popping up just about as fast as construction materials can be brought in by barge.

This bridge, where a toll of ten dollars is charged for crossing, provides access to all that unbridled luxury. And it also provides access to San Mateo - a subdivision where the stench of garbage is a rude wake-up call.

For approximately one thousand residents, San Mateo IS home - the only home they know. Many of them have been here since 1997, when this area was just lagoon and swampland.

Daisy Cacho

Daisy Cacho, San Mateo Resident

"I da the first person back ya. When we mi first come live back ya, whole a ya da mi lagoon. Whole a dis area da mi lagoon. Dem time we have to walk inna deep water…swamp. We go way down to ya fu try to get right ya weh part we deh. We used to go through alligator, big snake…all kinda thing fu get back ya."

The subdivision is covered with garbage. Many of the homes are little better than listing shacks built on mounds of rotting trash or swamp. In places where the lagoon has not been beaten back, the homes are connected with networks of London Bridges. It is incredible to imagine people raising their families here. Even more incredible is the knowledge that things used to be much worse. Just a couple years back, there were no streets in San Mateo, only these precariously perched wooden bridges.

Glenda Rancharan, Community Health Worker

"The conditions back here have really improved as to health-wise because we used to have a lot of outbreaks back here. From the time I've been here I've noticed tremendous improvements. We had bridges and now we have roads that we can walk."

Glenda Rancharan

Daisy Cacho

"Ih really rough fu we Sir…ih really rough. But as how the people deh tell we..the Minister and Mayor…they tell we ihwah be better because they seh whole a back ya wah be street…dis da just fu now fu full up di lagoon because whole ah ya da mi lagoon…dis whole place da mi lagoon by itself. So as far as now dis plenty better, because we neva mi believe dat dis mi wah full but they did it."

As hard as it may be to accept, for residents of San Mateo the garbage is a good thing. It is trucked in by the Town Council and used as land-fill. As evil and overbearing as the stench of rotten garbage becomes, it is a necessary evil - and an unhealthy one.

Daisy Cacho

"Lee bit a da water woulda get pon fu we foot…yu see how I deh walk pon dey stick and everything…da water get pon fu we foot an ih itch…ih itch and if yu continue scratch it when yu see something come pon yu foot. I wah yu see my bwoy foot right now. He no deh ya mek yu see it. He gawn out deh. I wah yu see fu he foot. Ih badly off because a dis water right ya. And da noh only adults…da kids."

Very few of the homes in San Mateo have running water, electricity and septic tanks. Very few of the residents can afford it. Pastor Everett Palacio has been in San Mateo for sixteen years. He is one of the fortunate few, relatively speaking.

Everett Palacio

Everett Palacio, San Mateo Resident�

"Most of the people here are developers of the island. They work either in the hotels, in the restaurants, in construction. People of this area are really hard working people. Most of the days you won't find a lot of people at home because they are working. One of the issues that I have taken up with our Area Representative Mr. Heredia is mein, how much harder do they want the residents of San Mateo to work, or to put in. We have been putting in so much into our property. We pay the most in utility bills."

Daisy Cacho, and many other residents of San Mateo, can't afford it.

Daisy Cacho

"That da the roughest part a fu we life back ya, especially some ah we…or I coulda seh majority cause nearly majority…only a few people back ya gat water and light and soh but they noh really gat the light pon fu dem personal part…they deh get light from people way yonder. If yu notice dey long wire deh…da light weh they deh get from people wah front deh."

Glenda Rancharan

"Number one, we need light. There are a lot of children going to school. If you can look at the wiring it is very, very dangerous because if we have a storm and we get one strike of lightning on one of those wires and fire starts…remember most of these houses are plywood…they will burn. I would like to see light, and I would like to see everybody in this area get proper septics and proper filling. And I think a lot of it has to do with our government helping."

It is help these residents need…assistance with the things many of us take for granted.

Daisy Cacho

"I woulda really wah walk, and walk safe and proud that I know dat nothing noh wah bite me and nothing noh wah juke me. Yu know. And mek I could stay home and noh deh smell no kinda funkiness and they thing, because people weh deh back ya and no gat sewerage…they stool inna bucket and dash they inna di lagoon. From me…mek a put een myself…from me dat da weh I have to do."

Everett Palacio

"San Mateo truly needs the proper infrastructure. Lands need to be filled. So they need to pay more attention to us in San Mateo."

Glenda Rancharan

"We need help. It's just like any rural community. The people of this community need government help. We really do. We really do need government help back here."

The terrible reality is that it is unlikely that the requested assistance will arrive anytime soon. Literally minutes away from broken down shacks, garbage, swamp, the stench of faeces and poverty…a seven million dollar road project is underway to service the resorts of Northern Ambergris because that, simply, is the priority of the authorities.

Daniel Guerrero

Daniel Guerrero, Mayor, San Pedro Town

"I am a great believer that we supposed to first nurture the industry, because it is the industry that brings the money in. Without the industry, San Mateo, and not only San Mateo but San Pablo and none of the other subdivisions would exist. Maybe all this influx of people coming onto the island would have to vacate, because if we cripple the industry we are a total mess, because this island totally depends on tourism. Tourism is the bread and butter of the island so we have to nurture the tourism industry. I was the one that decided let's go north, together with the Area Rep. We decided let's go north and make sure we service all the hotels because these are the big hotels bringing all the money. They pay all the bills. They are the ones paying the bills."

For the wealthy tourists who will visit those resorts, Ambergris Caye is La Isla Bonita. It is unlikely that they will ever visit San Mateo….a forgotten slum on that beautiful island. Mike Rudon for News Five.

Many of the roads in San Mateo were constructed by students of the University of Mississippi who fundraised for the road project.�

Manuel Heredia Visits Subdivision Site in San Pedro

Last week News Five showed you a proposed subdivision in the Sunset Cove area four miles north of San Pedro Town. Forty acres have been surveyed for a total of three hundred and nineteen lots. One hundred and fifty persons have paid five hundred and fifty dollars each towards the survey. The only thing is that the lots are underwater - completely underwater…which makes the subdivision a distinctly unlikely proposition, even a ridiculous one. Strangely, when we spoke to Heredia last week he admitted that he had never even visited the site, and planned a trip there over the weekend. Today we caught up to him at a tourism event, and despite what is shown clearly on camera, he told us that it's not really that bad.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Representative, Belize Rural South

"Let me be very clear on that. I think I have said enough particularly local where people were probably more interested in that. But I always believe that once I get to an issue, let it stay over there and we had our plan B like I mentioned. We are working on that and once that is unveiled probably I can speak more on that."

Duane Moody

"I know you spoke about that plan B. Could you just give us maybe an idea? I know you said you were going to visit the site. I think that has already occurred. Could you tell us what's that plan B because obviously it is under water?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"I did go to the site on Saturday as I mentioned and definitely it is not as bad as what you can see. With the cameras and so, it paints a different picture. It might have some negativity into it, but it is not as bad. But definitely my plan B, before I can say anything, I have to wait until I present the issue to cabinet and for government to endorse my plan."

Duane Moody

"Sir I think people are concerned that they had paid five hundred and fifty dollars for a parcel of land and then they didn't get it as yet."

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"No man, they�"

Duane Moody

"We received calls saying that."

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"You might receive from four because if you watched one of the ones that were produced in the newspaper, the person erased his name, he scratched out his name. So it is somebody that is probably playing mischief or so. If you really feel that something wrong has happened, don't be afraid to come up or come to me. But people know me well, nobody will lose their money. People will get through with what they want and at the end of the day; I can tell you that every single one that paid that survey fee will get their piece of land."

Reporter

"Would you not want to choose locations that are higher up, higher land that is most appropriate for housing?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"My friend, if there was anything better in any way to be given, definitely it will happen. But let me tell you, where I live is downtown. You know what that was before? Swamp�swamp where they use to throw garbage and everything. Most of the area from Boca Del Rio, all the way to San Pablo area, that was land that was worse than over there, and today it have become a community over there. It might not be suitable, but there are only two ways to go either you go up or you spread around."

Channel 5

oh jeez. our future.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.