FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Fish for Sunday Dinner
Taking into account all those life-lesson stories I’d read online – at work (sorry boss), I decided to look around me. Breathing in. Taking in the sights. All that good stuff. I looked up. Not even that high up, there was a bunch of frigate birds swooping out and about, which had to mean someone was cleaning fish. Sure enough, round the bend and just behind a dive shop sign, was a mess of fish on a rickety table. A mom and her young son were cleaning fish and eager birds hovered above waiting for some scraps. A huge Jack got the clean-up treatment, and the young boy threw up pieces into the air for the birds. Mom says the fish is for Sunday dinner (that’s lunch and probably leftovers for dinner).

A sports man and role model: Kent Aneri Gabourel
While many opt to get as much sleep as possible in the mornings, San Pedro star athlete, Kent Aneri Gabourel prefers to rise before the break of dawn to get ahead, training and practicing for the sports he loves. Gabourel, better known as Bob, is no stranger to The San Pedro Sun, as we have featured him on several occasions for his countless achievements in cycling, running and triathlon competitions. But this is the first time we’ve learned more about the man himself, and we even gave up our gold medal in sleeping to catch him in training action with fellow island athletes Russel Dominguez and Eric Donis. 34-year-old Gabourel is originally from Unitedville Village in the Cayo District. He spent the first 20 years of his life there surrounded by a sports centric family. “I was born into the life of an athlete. My dad, Kent “Kenty” Gabourel, is a huge football legend in Belize, so I pretty much grew up watching him play. My mom, Jean Gabourel, also played football and softball, she even still plays today at the age of 54. My sister was also a great athlete in both sports. Most of my childhood I remember either watching my family’s sports matches or being on the field, playing myself,” said Gabourel. The strong sports influence shaped Gabourel into the exceptional athlete he is today. “Football has been my favorite sport because that is what my family is known for. But I played softball in high school and did track and field too. But most importantly, running is my ease in life. When I’m running, I’m one with myself, in my own world.”

Dr. Nidia Larrinaga joins Polyclinic Staff
On Tuesday September 30th, Dr. Nidia Larrinaga joined the line of health care professionals at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II. Dr. Larrinaga, who is originally from Cuba is a naturalized citizen of Belize and has been living and working in the country for the past 16 years. While Dr. Larrinaga specializes in family medicine, she works in the capacity of a general practitioner, and especially enjoys attending to her tiniest patients in pediatrics. Dr. Larrinaga is expected to be on the island for a period of two years and is looking forward to serving the community and enjoying the sun, sand, and sea of Ambergris Caye.

Belize Institute of Mixology host Advance Bartending Course
On September 27, 2014 the Belize Institute of Mixology (BIM) graduated its second set of participants. This was the Advanced Course and lasted for five full days. The previous course was geared towards those that had little or no experience and most of them were then qualified and had the option of taking the Advanced course as the conditions to take it was either a minimum of 3 years’ experience in an active bar or to have successfully completed the Introduction course. This latest course created a flurry of excitement as the participants were then learning a whole new level of Bartending that included liquor and wine segments, pairing, building complex cocktails, as well as a visit to the Belikin plant where they were given the VIP treatment. They learned all about Belikin and our guest instructor, Dr Cuellar made his presentation on alcohol awareness as well. Bowen’s group of companies have partnered with the BIM team and as such, this segment will always be available in the advanced. They also presented the participants with their own certificates as well as gift packages.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

QUINTANA ROO, Mexico and BELIZE hold VIII Bi-national Meeting
The bilateral agreements seek to strengthen the fight against transnational crime and establish a new and healthy outlook between the two borders. Governor of Quitana Roo, Mexico Roberto Borge Angulo spoke of his country’s continued willingness to strengthen the bonds of friendship that exist with the Belizean people. The Government of Quintana Roo reiterated its commitment to protect the common border shared with Belize against illegal activities of organized crime and to establish new joint strategies in the matter of prevention to the health and protection of the environment. On behalf of Governor Roberto Borge Angulo, the secretary of the State, Gabriel Mendicuti Loría affirmed at the VIII Binational Meeting Mexico/Belize that “the quintanarroenses seek to strengthen the bonds of friendship that have historically united us with our neighboring country”.

3 weeks internship at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Florida for Caves Branch Botanical Garden
Two people from our garden will be going to the 3 weeks internship at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Florida. We work with that Botanical garden on inventory of epiphytes of Belize and really happy to be able to go to expand our knowledge on that topic. The Gardens reportedly maintain the most diverse collection of bromeliads in the world, and feature over 20,000 plants from some 6000 species in 1200 genera from 214 plant families, including 6,000 live orchids. We were happy to host their team here in April and looking forward to the future trips.

The Reporter

Another fatal shooting in Belize City
Reports are that there were two shpotings in the early hours of Saturday in Belize City. We understand that one of the shootings happened on North Front Street and the other occured on Vernon Street. Information reaching The Weekend Reporter Online is that one of the shootings was fatal. Police have not yet issyed any details of these latest incidents.

Man shot and killed during power outage
Gerald Palmer, 27, a food vendor of Barrack Road in Belize City was shot and killed on Thursday night, not far away from his house. The incident occured on Grants Alley shortly after 9 p.m. and Palmer, who suffered bullet wounds to his hest and arms, died early Friday morning at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. Police say that Palmer was walking on Grants Alley towards Barrack Road when a man approached him as he reached the corner of Grants Alley and Cards Alley. Police have recovered five 9 milimeter expended shells and a .380 expended shell from the scene. They are trying to figure out how teo different types of expended shells were at the scene if reports indicate that there was only one shooter.

Coastal weekends off with film festival
The Coastal Zone Management Authority and Institute ended “coastal zone awareness week” with a film festival at the Memorial Park in Belize City. The event showcased nine short films submitted to the CZMAI amateur film maker’s competition. Each submission had to be between two and four minutes long and reflective of this year’s theme: Planned Development Today for a Sustainable Coast Tomorrow. First, second, and third place prizes were awarded, along with a viewer’s choice award for the most likes on the CZMAI Face Book page. First place was awarded to Haywaed Corrie and Johnny Cantun of Ocean Accademy Caye Caulker.

Messi to face trial for tax evasion
Lionel Messi, Barcelona and Argentina football star is to face trial for alleged tax evasion. A Spanish judge has rejected a prosecution recommendation to drop the charges on the grounds that the player’s father was responsible for his finances. Messi and his father, Jorge are accused of defrauding the authorities of more than US $5 million. The pair, who deny wrongdoing, have five days to appeal against the ruling. It is alleged that they withheld the money between 2007 and 2009. Messi and his father are suspected of avoiding paying Spanish tax by using companies in Belize and Uruguay to sell the rights to use Messi’s image.

Patrick JonesPJ

Early morning fire destroys building in Punta Gorda town
An early morning fire in Punta Gorda town today completely gutted a two-storey building. Personnel of the PG Fire Service responded to the blaze just after 3 am today at the on West Street. According to reports, the building was unoccupied at the time of the fire […]

Belize and Mexico sign cooperation agreements
The eighth binational commission meeting between Belize and Mexico concluded on Friday after a marathon round of discussions between one of Mexico’s largest diplomatic delegations and their Belizean counterparts. Agreements were signed for in the following matters: 1) Memorandum of understanding in tourism cooperation. 2) Letter of intent […]

Credit unions perform strategic planning
October is celebrated internationally as the month of credit unions. Known as the “poor man’s bank”, the credit union is a source of affordable financing for Belizeans for almost any venture small or large. But as the nation develops credit unions are confronting specific challenges in reaching key targets including the […]

Taiwanese trade delegation visits Belize
The Republic of China (Taiwan)’s Central American Trade Office (CATO) and representatives of private companies have concluded a working visit to Belize. From September 27 to 30 a seven member delegation visited Belize to explore the potential opportunities for cooperation and to promote the trade relationship between Belize and Taiwan. […]

Belize: Getting Behind The National Security Money
By Richard Harrison Most Belizeans feel that there is a trend of declining personal safety inside the borders of the country….and more recently, believe that there is also increasing threat from beyond the borders, and especially from Guatemala. The budget proposed for the Ministry of National Security for 2014/15 is $114.8 million [14% of the […]

Murder on Pickstock Street; stabbing in Belama Phase 4
A shooting incident in Belize City on Friday night has left one man dead. Police have not yet confirmed, but the victim has been identified to us as Harrison Smith. According to reports received, Smith was shot multiple times at the corner of North Front and Pickstock […]

Foreign Minister insists on cautious approach to Guatemala
One week and some days after seeming to suggest that there was no evidence pointing to the killers of Special Constable Danny Conorquie being conclusively Guatemalan, Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington has not backed down. He told reporters on Friday that one week after the 20-year-old’s death, there […]

Demonstrators target embassy of Guatemala in Belize City
A few Belizeans took their protests over the death of Special Constable Danny Conorquie to the doorsteps of the Guatemalan Embassy on A Street in the King’s Park area on Friday. They demanded the Guatemalan Government respond and help Belize catch Conorquie’s killers. The Government has officially been informed and […]

Blogs

Drinkable tap water and 3 restaurants in Placencia
There is an old saying, you learn something new every day, I find this applies to travel too. Every time I revisit somewhere I learn more, this time it was that the tap water in Placencia is drinkable. It sure was handy to learn that for making our morning iced coffee – thanks Dave. Placencia peninsula is fortunate to have some of the cleanest water in Belize and is completely safe to drink. Other parts of Belize that tap water is currently drinkable are Mango Creek, Big Creek, Independence and Seine Bight Villages. In San Pedro we drink bottled water and while I do believe Dee that the water from Consolidated Water is safe to drink, it is the pipes between the plant and our house that I am unsure about. It was same for me in Toronto too especially when it was really hot in the summer – our tap water smelled faintly funky. Onto the great restaurants part. Carlos and Sue took me to Mojo last night for a lovely dinner. It was a toss up between shrimp pesto and the pear with brie, we picked the latter of the 2 bruschetta options and it was delicious. After trading tasters of our main courses, the consensus was that everything was delicious and we were all super pleased with our individual orders. I had coconut encrusted barracuda with veggies and scalloped potatoes super tasty.

Finn Kardashian Does Central America, Episode 3: Guatemala & El Salvador
Last we left our UNESCO heritage friend, Finn, in Lake Atilan – a gorgeous volcanic lake and also the deepest in Central America at over 3000 feet. Finn Kardashian is a born and raised San Pedrano, a local celebrity and socialite (sometimes in his own mind), the bar manager at the beautiful and world-celebrated Rojo Beach Bar, North Ambergris Caye, a fantastic photographer and a creative, FUN, witty, worldly guy who is a blast to Crossfit with. He is now backpacking through Central America. This church below is super awesome. It was the only church that remained after the volcano popped open with water after weeks of rain. The myth is that when the emperor died in Mexico news came to his wife months after his death in and his wife demanded that everyone paint their house black. On the ninth day of his death, the volcano popped. BTW the emperor died by a horse falling on him like LMFAO karma is a Bitch!

International Sourcesizz

Guatemala Shooting Raises Concerns About Military’s Expanded Role
The Guatemala military, once one of the most brutal and feared in Central America, is resurging to take on violent crime, forging closer ties with American troops and law enforcement even as worry over human rights abuses and corruption intensifies. Those concerns deepened in recent weeks with the revelation of ties between former soldiers and drug gangs, and the fatal shooting of several indigenous demonstrators by soldiers on patrol with the police, an event critics of the militarized approach to policing seized on as an example of what can go wrong. Allegations of corruption and killings by the military have also raised questions about the partnership with the American antidrug program here, just as the United States is reassessing its collaboration with security forces in neighboring Honduras after their role in several deadly episodes there.

Videos

Video: U.S. Riverines Train Belize Defense Force, 2min.
LASO Team Trains BDF. Courtesy HD Video | U.S. Marine Corps Forces, South | Date: 10.01.2014. Land Attack and Subsequent Operations Team with Southern Partnership Station train the Belize Defense Force in infantry tactics.

Video: Zumba Fitness - Afro - Fusion w/ Kaleila J. (Belize City Workshop), 2.5min.
Zumba Fitness and Afro-Fusion workshop taught by Kaleila Jordan and hosted by Belize Dance Company during the weekend of the 1st annual Jazz and Soca Festival of Belize City, Beliz

Video: Machel Montano Live in Belize, 5min.
CBC creation. BEST CONCERT EVER.

Video: Diving Hol Chan Marine Park - Ambergris Caye Belize, 18min.
Scuba diving Hol Chan Marine Park - Ambergris Caye Belize. This dive has it all from shark, turtle, barracuda, moray eels, rays, wrasses, etc. If you travel to Ambergris Caye or if you're a new diver starting out, i highly suggest diving Hol Chan. Divers start in roughly 6' of water and gradually descend to roughly 30'. Visibility is good and marine life is lush. Filmed on SJ4000 camera which is similar to the GoPro.