Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#496549 - 10/08/14 11:39 AM Belize Audubon Society on Bird-watching
Marty Online   happy

October is the start of the Belize Audubon Society’s Urban Bird Watch Program that connects Belizeans and visitors with nature through bird watching. The country currently boasts over five hundred different species of birds including local and migratory birds. According to Publicity Coordinator for the Belize Audubon Society, Dirk Francisco, the urban settings in Belize still do attract many birds because of the diverse ecosystem.  Since the beginning of this month and through May of next year, Belizeans and avid birders could travel to various districts for an opportunity to engage and enjoy bird watching.

Dirk Francisco, Publicity Coordinator, Belize Audubon Society

Dirk Francisco

“There are many birds that will be hanging around in people’s yard like the summer tanager, a bright red bird, we get a lot of calls about that bird to find out what’s the name. This is the time that you will see the Baltimore oriole; that’s another bird that Belizeans tend to be attracted to. There are several birds like the eastern wood pee-wee, which is another bird that likes to hang out on sticks in people’s backyard. People are always wondering where did this bird come from and why it is so beautiful. So through the urban bird watch you get to know the names of the common birds that chill out in your backyard, especially in the months of September, October, November; all the way till May. So we always encourage people to join us and participate in the urban bird watch because it is free and you get to know the names of the birds.”

Duane Moody

“Now I know that it started this past weekend and you guys went down to Dangriga. Tell us about what you guys saw and the turnout; whether it was successful.”

Dirk Francisco

“Yes, Dangriga was marvelous Duane. If you were there, you would be amazed. What we saw last weekend, October fifth, in Dangriga was thousands and thousands of egrets migrating. We’ve been to Dangriga five times. This is the fifth time we visited Dangriga in the month of October, the first weekend in October, and this is the first time I’ve seen like over thirty thousand cattle egrets, snowy egrets; a smaller population of great blue herons. Great blue herons in Belize don’t normally congregate in flocks, but on Sunday I saw many. I was amazed by the sight and I was also encouraged and happy that students from Ecumenical Junior College showed up to participate. I remembered one students saying he didn’t see what the big deal is with bird watching, but they got motivated to see that it is a recreational activity that engages them to learn about the biodiversity of Belize. So Dangriga I must say was excellent for us; we actually had seventy-three species of birds in Dangriga town itself. So as a tourist destination for bird watching, Dangriga is an excellent choice.”

Channel 5

#496653 - 10/10/14 11:12 AM Re: Belize Audubon Society on Bird-watching [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

By popular demand, San Pedro Town has been included in the 2014 Urban Bird Watch for the first time. The Belize Audubon Society thanks all those who came out and encourages all Belizeans to become stewards of the environment by becoming members today!

Check out schedule below for Venues and Time for Urban Bird Watch across Belize!

#496671 - 10/10/14 03:28 PM Re: Belize Audubon Society on Bird-watching [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Online   embarrased
This s very interesting in that all the photos show only men.

#496673 - 10/10/14 06:08 PM Re: Belize Audubon Society on Bird-watching [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
I think those men posing are the guides.

#496682 - 10/11/14 04:05 AM Re: Belize Audubon Society on Bird-watching [Re: Marty]
SimonB Offline
She does have a point, if it were all women in the poster done up like the Belikin calendar girls there would be a much bigger turnout...

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,275 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.