Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Ran across this article today. Left wondering what may be causing the decline and selfishly more important, how may this affect my traveling life and pocketbook.

http://www.caribjournal.com/2014/10...erica-caribbean-traffic-continues-slide/

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

E
E
American Airlines (which now includes American Airlines and US Airways) does lower flights to the Caribbean during hurricane season. But, yes, it is definitely harder to come to Belize on AA than it has been in the past.

OP Offline
The article isn't about hurricane season but an annual year over year decline. While that article discusses American, it also mentions United.

J
JED Offline
J
I have been coming down every year for the past 7 years. And this years air fares went up and haven't come down at all it's around $950.00 per person. Last year 2 of came down for that amount. And they are baffled as to why the air traffic is down. Most of the carriers that would fly to these places have been combined into just 3 from 6.

Wife & I have been coming down every year for a long time, last year was the most we ever paid ($650 U.S) from Dayton Oh. We always fly Delta, This year we had enough air miles for 1 ticket so I got that & was going to wait for a good price for the other but it just kept going up. Today it was up to $1005.U.S. So I Looked around & found a ticket on US Air for $757. All take off & landing times are very close (30 min.)I just find it very strange to have to travel this way to get a decent deal.
Be down Feb.5th-14th.

Unfortunately, I also believe it comes down to airfare pricing....In 2005 we paid $348 Round Trip from Sacramento via Continental....It seemed month after month the price continued to increase.....While going to Cancun remained at $202 round trip.....I'm told it is the fees charged by the International Airport coupled with extra immigration & departure taxes to pay for the increase in Belize tourist traffic.....However, it appears other places are able to provide the same services at a more affordable rate......we have not made the trip since we moved here permanently in 2012 and even then it was $740 round trip.....NOTE: The upgrade fees seem more reasonable and when counting in extra luggage covers a great deal of the upgrade costs.....IMHO... confused

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
OP Offline
Yes and no JudyAnn. Mexican government subsidizes airfares to keep the flow of tourists coming.

Hello Seashell.....I did not know that....Then it appears Jamaica and other parts of the Caribbean must be doing the same....as airfare to many of these places including Grand Cayman & Aruba can be found at much lower rates than Belize..... It would be great to hear from our local government on the subject. In my selfishness....I simply want to fly my children and grandchildren out here a little more often...... Unfortunately it comes down to budget....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.