Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#497279 - 10/26/14 10:35 AM Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry
Marty Online   happy
On Friday, October 17th, San Pedro Health Officer, Lisa Tillett hosted a small seminar on the disease Ebola, which has only recently appeared in the Western Hemisphere. Present at the seminar were representative from Maya Island Air, Tropic Air, San Pedro Water Taxi, Caye Caulker Water Taxi, San Pedro Water Jets Express, Belize Customs and Exercises Department, Belize Immigration Department, as well as several concerned citizens. The seminar was aimed at sensitizing the attendees on the disease and explain the need to screen visitors who are coming to the island from any point of entry.

Also known as the ďAfrican Hemorrhagic FeverĒ, Ebola first appeared in Africa in 1976 and is a filovirus that infects humans and primates. Ebola causes severe fevers and internal and external bleeding that, if not treated immediately and properly, results in death. While the disease has been classified as highly contagious, it can only be transmitted through the exchange of bodily fluids from an infected person who is displaying symptoms or has fallen ill. The transmission can occur through a break in the skin, membrane or an open wound. Ebola has an incubation period of two to 21 days during which an infected person could seem healthy and display no symptoms.

As one of the most popular tourism destinations in Belize, Ambergris Caye sees an influx of people from around the world. As such, these travelers need to be screened for Ebola. ďItís better to be safe than sorry. That is what we need to understand, we are not here to scare anyone, but we need to take the necessary precautions. We need to start screening persons coming in from the airports and the water taxi terminals,Ē said Tillett. She also explained that persons handling travel documents should wear gloves to prevent the transmission of any disease. ďImmigration and customs officers should wear gloves when handling passports and other documents. Have healthy practices, cover your mouth when you cough, and bandage any exposed wound. If you are feeling ill, visit the polyclinic or your private doctor; donít wait until your symptoms worsen.Ē

According to Tillett, while there is no case of Ebola in Belize, it is still important for residents to practice precautions so as to ensure the safety of all Belizeans and its visitors. ďEbola would have a severe impact on our society, so we canít take it lightly. If this disease were to spread, it would affect our trading, agriculture and tourism industry. Schools and businesses would have to close. The disease brings with it a stigma and worsens poverty,Ē said Tillett. Ebola patients are isolated to prevent further infection to other health persons. There are no known vaccines for the disease.

To learn more preventative steps on Ebola or to find out what you can do to make your business a healthier environment contact Health officer Lisa Tillett at 226-2555 or 605-6495.

#497302 - 10/27/14 05:51 AM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: Marty]
seashell Offline
The gloves only protect the wearer if they don't touch their face, etc., while still wearing the gloves.

#497318 - 10/27/14 02:33 PM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: seashell]
Don Greife Offline
Wearing gloves seems to provide little protection from anything, including the common cold. I just returned from a fishing trip in SP and began to think about the vulnerability of all of Central America to the outspread of the disease, and just how prepared, or even equiped, the area is to deal with the first case. I wonder if denying visas to the west African countries might be a safer alternative. IE: If you wear gloves don't pick your nose.

#497322 - 10/27/14 05:33 PM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: Marty]
seashell Offline
Really Don, who would try to pick their nose with gloves on? It just doesn't work. And you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friends nose.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Seriously though, how is Belize doing this testing? I'm coming from Newark through Houston. Newark is one of only five airports processing passengers from West Africa. Is this going to be a problem? So, how far does it go and how will it get done?

Here in New Jersey, a nurse returning from treating Ebola patients has been put into quarantine despite showing no symptoms and testing negative. She's quite irate about it and has hired a lawyer to fight her incarceration at the hospital. Says she feels like she's being treated like a criminal.

#497326 - 10/27/14 10:04 PM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: seashell]
klcman Offline
she has now been released, SS, and on her way to her boyfriend's home here in Maine. The gov's of NJ/NY, though appropriately concerned, blew this one.

#497327 - 10/27/14 10:07 PM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: Marty]
klcman Offline
no one has mentioned this as yet, but could this piggyback onto that oft commented argument for passenger manifests on the water taxis?

#497358 - 10/28/14 06:20 PM Re: Ebola Screening at islandís port of entry [Re: klcman]
Don Greife Offline
The government of Australia announced that they will no longer issue visas to the affected west African countries. I hate to think of the consequences that would result from a report of the first case of the disease in Belize. IE: Who would visit the island, Who would leave the island, how soon would this shutdown take place and how would the GOB and the Belize medical profession deal with it? Hope it doesn't happen til after my December fishing trip.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,024 Topics
462,217 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.