Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Chica Blanca
Has it ever been considered to have a beach flag warning system? Resorts and dive operations can run up flags on their docks to warm of hazardous conditions. This way it could be viewed by everyone so they would know. This is done in many beach areas to warm visitors who are unfamiliar with local waters and over estimate their abilities. This could prevent arguments with visitors wanting to go out in unsafe conditions.

I've not heard of a party of visitors arguing with an operator that they be taken out but given human nature it wouldn't surprise me if it's happened. I doubt that its a common occurrence. That aspect aside, suggestions of flags and warnings at Hol Chan have been raised and discussed before (myself included) but no official position/action has been taken or planned as far as I know. Elbert?

The fall back position on site safety is, and has been, to leave the evaluation up to the individual licensed tour operators on arrival. I'm not familiar enough to know if there is a more or less formalized radio grapevine that would keep an operator from wasting fuel and more importantly put his charters in jeopardy. Other than overall sea and weather conditions which inherently prevent departures, tour times at Hol Chan occur at any time of day and certainly don't seem to be based upon onsite conditions. This puts the responsibility (and pressure) for a go/nogo decision on the operator who, on arrival, has already has a boat load of eager visitors. Such evaluation by operators are obviously subjective and in the past some operators have been accused of not making the hard decision to return and refund. I cant comment on the appropriateness of such criticism. What I can say is that this is a great safety reminder as the season approaches and thanks to Elbert for the timely post.

[Linked Image]

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Bear, Often I have complaints from tourist that want to go out despite or captain saying he thinks it's dangerous and won't risk it. Tourist only look at the sky and if it's blue and the sun is shining they think everything is fine. In a more sophisticated arena the Port Authority closes the port in rough weather and that's the end of it, no arguments. We sometimes will hear the Park Rangers make a declaration of the Hol Chan Cut being closed because of the currents but that is the only cut they would have jurisdiction over.
I know I'm repeating myself but maybe it will stick soon. Most of the accidents and all of the recent deaths are individuals who are without a Tourguide. Posters keep trying to supply information or suggest techniques that would seem to enable but it only encourages individuals to make the same mistake. Go with a licensed Belizean Tourguide. I'm not a unionist or trying to promote business for the dive shops, just pointing out that all else is asking for trouble.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Thanks Elbert, "Often" eh? Not being on the front line of dive/snorkel tour operations I guess my assessment of human behavior/sensibility allows for more credit than is actually present. Personally I don't think you're beating a dead horse hence my comment about timeliness. In fact I don't think you can say it enough...

For our part we send out a water safety bulletin to each guest prior to arrival, in fact, on inquiry in most cases. This is the one which was developed/distributed after the horrific water taxi accident a while back. Per our information brochure our kayaks are limited to shoreline areas only whereas perhaps others don't. We also include several recommendations for local licensed operators. We emphatically add that if they don't use one of our recommended guides they should research a reputable licensed operator and to please please stay away from street deals. We take no commission from an operator for any bookings from our guests I simply want to see people taken care of from both an experience and a safety standpoint.

Frankly most people do not give The Sea her due. It would be good to see the "Establishment" step up and take some proactive responsibility. Increasingly I have come to realize we have to provide the basic information and resurrect the common sense which all too often is vacated on vacation.

While one hates to blame a victim - sometimes people are so obsessed with making the most of every minute of their vacation that they hurt themselves.
Elbert is not overstating his case at all. We've all seen our share of victims of fun over the years.

The kayaker who went missing in May was strongly advised not to go out. Not only did he and his friend go out - they went out without a guide, and into a deep and wide channel that they probably did not recognize. A totally avoidable tragedy.

Hon Offline
I don't want to generalize, however I think that Americans (in general) are used to being protected against a litigious society to the point that they believe 'if they are going to let me or there are no signs warning me against renting/going to/doing it, then there is no problem'.

When advising people not to swim out into the boat lanes, we have been told to [#%!] off. When we have rescued people standing on the reef with their kayaks nowhere to be found, we have been met with amusement and asked for beer. We have had guests at our condo complain that their 17 year old daughter was hissed at by men as she swam at Boca del Rio by herself at 9:00pm.

I have a comprehensive list of orientation information that includes warning about all of the above and more, as I'm sure we all do. This doesn't mean that tourists read or, if they do, take it to heart.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
I agree with all the common sense posted above. There is, however, a practice that bothers me and maybe you experts can explain it so that it makes sense to me.

It seems that all the dive operators go out at 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM - regardless of the tides. AND everyone that takes snorkelers to Hol Chan go at the same time then all go to Shark & Ray Alley at the same time.

I prefer to dive on the incoming tide as the visibility is much better and obviously it is safer. Also, I would like to go out earlier in the morning. Why don't dive shops take these things into consideration?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.