Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#497856 - 11/12/14 01:08 PM Ferry from Belize city
Mr. Din Offline
We usually get to AC by small plane but on our next trip we will be with 7 adults and 3 small children. Some of the adults dont think the small plane ride would be safe. So they want to take the ferry. How much is the ferry ride per adult? Where does the ferry dock on AC? When we get to the airport in BZE we hire a taxi to take us all to the ferry dock? Thanks!

#497860 - 11/12/14 01:50 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
champion Offline
I would bet on more boating issues over the years against airplane incidents.

#497861 - 11/12/14 01:56 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
Sandy46 Offline
I agree that the plane is actually a very safe way to travel to AC. If you choose to take the water taxi, you would probably need 2 cabs from the airport to accommodate that many people and luggage. The cab would take you to the water taxi terminal, and from there you would buy your tickets at about 25.00 US round trip, then wait for the next boat. The last boat from BZ city leaves at 5:30, and that means it will be dark for the 1.5 hour trip to AC. If your international flight arrives late in the day or is delayed, you could have difficulty catching the last water taxi. I do think the water taxi's are a good way to travel, but no question that flying is the best and probably the safest.

#497862 - 11/12/14 02:33 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
MisterB266 Offline
Most taxi sedans take only about 4 passengers, but if you're lucky, there might be a few taxi vans waiting. The vans can seat more passengers (maybe 7 to 9) and might be able to take your whole group.

Both water taxi services have websites where you can view schedules & fares...
http://ccwatertaxi.com/
http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

There's another private water taxi service called Tropic Ferry. You have to make arrangements with them -- they will meet you at the airport, take you to the boat and then to AC. It's expensive, but maybe you can negotiate a fare for the group.
http://tropicferry.com/

Edited by MisterB266 (11/12/14 03:22 PM)

#497863 - 11/12/14 03:10 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
Bluebird Offline
Check out the option of using Tropic Ferry. They pick you up at the airport and deliver you to wherever you're staying in San Pedro. Very easy way to get to the island.

#497869 - 11/12/14 04:21 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Bluebird]
ragman Offline
Originally Posted By: Bluebird
Check out the option of using Tropic Ferry. They pick you up at the airport and deliver you to wherever you're staying in San Pedro. Very easy way to get to the island.

That is the way to go for their situation. I use this service frequently and it is great. Older people; kids or pets make this a good alternative. Having said that I also use Tropic airlines frequently and have zero problem with them.

#499621 - 01/07/15 12:16 AM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
Mr. Din Offline
Does anyone know how big the Tropic Ferry boat is? Also how big the regular ferry boat is?

Edited by Mr. Din (01/07/15 12:18 AM)

#499622 - 01/07/15 12:24 AM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
Mr. Din Offline
How long is the drive from BZE to the water taxi terminal by taxi?

#499625 - 01/07/15 06:23 AM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
Short Offline
Originally Posted By: Mr. Din
Does anyone know how big the Tropic Ferry boat is? Also how big the regular ferry boat is?

Good size and covered boats. Pretty expensive (compared to the regular ferry) and there are some local issues with them.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Din
How long is the drive from BZE to the water taxi terminal by taxi?

About 20 minutes.

#499648 - 01/07/15 01:34 PM Re: Ferry from Belize city [Re: Mr. Din]
ragman Offline
Mr. Din,

Tropic Ferry has two boats, that I'm aware of. One smaller maybe 24-26' and another larger boat in the 30's similar to the regular Ferry.

The local issues referred to have been going on for years and have died down to almost nothing as far as I know. Yes, they are more expensive, however it includes picking you up at BZE and bring you to the dock nearest where you are staying. Therefore you do not need to take a taxi to the Ferry Dock in Belize city. (I think it is more like a 30 minute drive but I haven't done it in a little while.) You also don't have to take a taxi from the ferry dock in San Pedro to your place, especially if you are north of the bridge.

Probably I've used them on 4 or 5 round trips. I did take tropic ferry last Saturday. There was an issue with help not showing up but......welcome to Belize and the New Year's Holiday celebrations. Also, it appears the local management has changed and either needs more experience or a change.

I will take them again on my next trip. Hopefully this helps you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (FoFoFo), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,051 Topics
462,279 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.