Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#498135 11/19/14 11:01 AM
M
mawags Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We are moving there in April and are buying a used cart. Will we have a problem getting a permit? We own property but its not done yet so we are leasing for 6 months. Someone told me they weren't issuing any more permits. My husband has had 2 knee replacements and back surgery so he can't walk for long periods of time. Any info anyone?

B
B4B Offline
B
We just went through the process in August of getting a permit and purchasing a cart. In order to submit an application for the permit, you must first obtain a Belize drivers license. This only requires copies of your passport and current US drivers license, obtaining a physical from a doctor in town, and, of course, paying the appropriate fees to the town council and doctor. Once you have your drivers license, you can apply for the permit which requires a copy of your new drivers license, completed application to include a picture of where you will be parking the cart, and again, more fees. The application will then go to the appropriate committee at the town council which will approve or deny the permit. If the permit is approved, it is valid for 3 months (make sure you have a cart ordered) and the cart must be inspected prior to being registered...again more fees.

I think have included all of the steps. Also, we are here under the QRP residency so not sure if there are any other steps involved for non QRP folks. Hope this helps.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
M
mawags Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, No we are not QRP, We are buying used from an owner who will NOT be buying another cart.

I have been informed the permits are NOT transferable.

John - it depends on if the seller is willing to let the permit go with the cart. Sounds like, in this case. they are.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I am going in today will ask.

Last edited by Inplub; 11/20/14 04:48 AM.
S
S
Permits are not transferable by the owner. The permit is not for the cart it's for the owner to have a cart.

What sometimes happens is that a seller turns over the cart and retains the permit in their name until the new owners can get a permit in their own name.
I wouldn't want to do that for insurance reasons, but some sellers are ok with it, particularly if the buyer clearly qualifies for a permit and will get one in due course.

Debbie, if you are planning to use the golf cart to get from your condo (once you eventually move there) into San Pedro town, I highly, highly, highly recommend buying a Polaris rather than a standard golf cart. Perhaps that is what you are planning, but it wasn't clear.

From everything I hear and read, it's going to be awhile until the road gets paved all the way up where your condo is, and from about Capricorn north, it's going to be a crap shoot during rainy season as to whether a cart can get through. See the thread on the "Road North" and Elbert and Diane's reports especially. We rode our bikes through FEET of water there before, and it is not pretty for a cart that is NOT built for those kind of extreme conditions.

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
S
S
Great, another Polaris...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.