Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#498347 11/25/14 05:31 PM
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Due to the sad passing of her owner Hellion is being offered up for sale in San Pedro, Belize. Hellion has been priced as a give away at $22K US, this price is way below market. Hellion is mechanically sound, the engine starts every time and is run up weekly. The crew at TMM have been through the boat and given her a thorough clean up. All she needs now is a bottom cleaning and she's ready to sail. The rigging all appears to have been recently replaced and all the sails are in good condition. As you can see in the pictures Hellion's interior is enormous with a 13' beam. She's also dry, showing no signs of leaking at the hatches or below the waterline. Serious inquiries can call TMM at +501-226-3026 for an appointment to view, sorry but walk-ins cannot be accommodated. Price is firm and is a lifetime opportunity. More information on the Mason 43 ketch can be found online via Google.

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...9453491734430&type=3&uploaded=46

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I should make a note on this boat. The price is what I told the owner's family I would offer them even though I knew it was worth around $38 or $40K (what can I say, I'm looking for a great deal to come along). If it had a 5' draft I would already own it but I live in San Pedro so... I work around sailboats 365 days a year so I have a very good understanding of its potential. I just don't have the spare time to flip it. The owner lived on the boat up until his passing and it's sailed throughout the Caribbean and Central America down to Panama.

R
R
Simon I would think that and ad in Cruising Compass; Cruising World or maybe Boats on line would spark some immediate interest in this particular boat. I'm familiar with Mason's and they are nice boats. I had a 47' Compass which was similar in vintage and characteristics.

I wouldn't think there would not be much interest in a boat like this in San Pedro. The condition of the deck and hull would be of most concern to me. I'd assume the deck is cored and in reasonable shape and blistering of the hull is minimal. There are a lot of want to be cruisers out there and this one might fit their pocketbook.

This vessel at that price, someone who wants to go cruising would be interested. Nice sea worthy cruising vessels. I loved mine which was built in South Africa.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Jim,

The cost and lead time for advertising in the magazines is a bit much for a boat priced like this so we're just using social media and message boards. Although many of us see this board as local it is read worldwide.

The boat was built in 1973 which was just before they started running into Osmosis problems that affected boats built in the late 70's and early 80's. I've seen no signs at all of blistering but I haven't swum the bottom, only my crew has. Although I haven't stuck a knife into the deck it sounds like it's solid FRP which is possible as balsa core didn't start to be heavily used until later in the 70's and early 80's.

I'm not saying that the boat doesn't need work but at this price it doesn't really matter. The reviews of the Mason 43 Ketch I've read are pretty positive and one of our captains whose spent time on board sailing with the owner says that it sails beautifully. Being a Cutter Rigged Ketch gives a lot of sail options.

If you're familiar with La Gaviota the blue ketch in town that does day charters, that's a sistership to Hellion.

Simon...

R
R
I'm going to send an email to a friend of mine who still travels in those circles. Maybe he knows someone or can get the word out.

It could really be what some one needs to graduate from the armchair to the cockpit.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, it's going to make a great cruiser for someone...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.