Work began this morning on the dismantling of the old Toledo Sports Complex. We get the details from correspondent Paul Mahung.

PAUL MAHUNG

“The commencement of the dismantling of the old Toledo sports complex was confirmed by CISCO construction company CFO and contract manager Arsenio Burgos.”

ARSENIO BURGOS

“We are dismantling and we are then going to be able to reuse what is available. The government has planned as to what it will do with the good components. This is one of the Prime Minister’s initiatives, as you’ve seen they have done one or two streets in Punta Gorda and they will continue to do so in small segments. This is a continuation of that program where preparing the grounds my understanding for a new sports complex/ civic center that will be done in Punta Gorda. I am not clear on the details on that, contract we have now is to dismantle so we use.”

PAUL MAHUNG

“Love News caught up with Toledo east UDP standard bearer Peter Eden Martinez who was at the project site as the project and work began.”

EDEN MARTINEZ

“The contract was awarded to Mr. John Woods CISCO company and our local contractor Mr. Juaqin Aldana is the person who is responsible for the dismantling of the complex. We will be employing 30 young men from the town of Punta Gorda and the time period for the dismantling should be within 6 weeks' time. Of course we have also a contractor from Spanish Lookout who is going to be looking at the removal of the steelworks and we need to pay extra care to safety and so on. But indeed we are very grateful that this project is being funded through the Petro Caribe funds courtesy of the Prime Minister and the Government of Belize. The steel works will be transported to the Toledo Community college because some of it is still usable and we will be doing and auditorium for the Toledo community college. The sporting complex that will be built here is going to accommodate over 1000 persons and in fact its a bigger structure and modern facility which will serve for all the special functions that we will be having in town.”

PAUL MAHUNG

“Martinez also said that the quest and need to replace the old Toledo sport complex began six years ago and he spoke of other Punta Gorda projects.”

EDEN MARTINEZ

“Since 2008 when I became the area representative I endeavored to ensure that we got the sporting complex here in Punta Gorda town. Fast forward 2014 it is a reality now and I also want to mention that the West Street project here in Punta Gorda, the cementing of the West Street project has concluded and we will be commencing work on the Cayo street and the Olivia Santino street.”

PAUL MAHUNG

“The old Toledo sports complex had served well as many major events including private, cultural, religious assemblies, political conventions, education, sporting and other community level functions were accommodated at this venue very regularly.”

LOVEFM