Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#498828 - 12/09/14 09:06 AM Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident
wilske Offline
We have a condo here on San Pedro and I brought a bicycle to Belize from home (estimated cost of $120.00). The customs officer made note of it on my passport as I did not claim it(I had planned on brining it home). It's got a broken part (which is an odd size and I can't get a replacement here). I decided to leave it here and bring down another part next year. Does anyone know what I will be charged by customs for not bringing it back?

#498832 - 12/09/14 11:43 AM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
dabunk Offline
As it is written in your passport there is a good chance they will. They will come up with a price and charge duty and taxes. You might be able to go to immigration office on the island and get it taken care of before you leave

#498834 - 12/09/14 01:02 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
Diane Campbell Offline
You can buy a bike here for about the same amount.
You can't change your situation, but for others reading this post, I'd recommend not going to the bother of bringing in a bike unless it's something special (and you have spare parts).
Good luck with customs.

#498839 - 12/09/14 02:09 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
Phil Offline
No expert but I'd think they can only charge you if you are leaving Belize for good so if you have a return ticket to show you are coming back to Belize and still have your condo and the bike and will be using it - no duty. If you don't have a return ticket they will probably try and charge you if you are coming back or not and then I'd pop along to Customs before you leave to explain and ask wjhat to do. Be polite, whatever. A rant will guarantee a problem. Customs Officials are more precious than Heads of State - the world over.

#498847 - 12/09/14 04:48 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
Inplub Offline
What did you pay to bring it here, as they could charge 35% on the value and the same on cost to bring the bike here. I was just charged 35% on a flag from England, but left off the postage cost.

#498848 - 12/09/14 05:57 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
ron Offline
If it was a used bike it isn't the cost its the value. I assume that it was brought down as it was your favorite bike for the past 5 years with great sentimental value. but real value of $50. Besides you are allowed to bring a few hundred dollars of stuff in with out duty. Real the customs declaration when you came into the country.

#498850 - 12/09/14 06:46 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
wilske Offline
This has been really helpful, I'll post the outcome!

#498851 - 12/09/14 07:32 PM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
ragman Offline
I believe you can only bring in $200 duty free if you are either a citizen or a permanent resident. Even then if you go back and forth like I do and you enter more than twice in one year then you can not claim that exemption. I just got tripped up on that last month.

Your best route is to explain you situation respectfully to customs in San Pedro before you leave and by the way that was your favorite used bike like was suggested. Next time buy a bike here, I only bring in things that I can't get easily here. Less hassle and the locals have to make a living also.
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#498901 - 12/11/14 05:00 AM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
wilske Offline
Well we stopped at customs yesterday and ended up paying 37.5% I think it should have been 34.5%, but ah well that's the way it is. I'll have my bike fixed for next year, it has a great seat and takes the potholes really well.

#498905 - 12/11/14 06:47 AM Re: Bringing a Bicycle - duty non resident [Re: wilske]
ragman Offline
In retrospect, maybe you should have just brought the bike's seat down with you? The local bike's are relatively cheap, easy to fix and parts can be found in many stores. Customs is always a crap shoot, I just smile and go along with them most of time. It is not worth getting upset about especially on a relatively small issue.
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.