FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Act Like A Man
“I’m going to Belize City on Wednesday to do some Christmas shopping.” I told Melody. “Do you want to come along?” “Sure. I’ll leave baby Grayson with the baby sitter and we’ll take Davin with us.” On the plane Davin said, “Grandpa, I want to sit next to the window. Why can’t I sit next […]

Christmas Anti-Drug Campaign
On Thursday, December 11th between 6AM and 2:30PM, a team of San Pedro Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) and Special Branch personnel conducted a joint anti-drugs operation within San Pedro Town. The operation is aimed at reducing the presence of drugs in the island, especially during the Christmas season. The following persons were detained and charged for “Possession of Controlled Drugs”. • 22-year-old Silverio Cal was found in possession of a black plastic bag containing 24.8 grams of suspected Cannabis.

Doctor Love
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, I am an island girl, born and raised in San Pedro. My fiancé is from Belize City. We have been engaged for two […]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

2014 Ambergris Caye Turtle Nesting
The 2014 Turtle nesting season has ended. A total of 77 nests were recorded on Ambergris Caye this year. Emergent Success of 61% and average clutch size is 107 eggs per nest.

MYRNA MANZANARES & THE CREOLE IDENTITY!
The legendary black Belizean woman, Myrna Manzanares has transcended Belizean social work, poetry and struggle from the Los Angeles Belizean diaspora community to her repatriation to Belize in the mid 80's to continue her never ending work of giving to people and country with all her being and sincerity. Her dynamic work in the Belizean community in Los Angeles has compiled volumes in terms of her contribution to Belizean organizing in the diaspora, and her relentless 'open packie' and outspoken way of telling it like it is. Myrna was a force to be reckon with as an organizer in the Belizean diaspora, and transfer her knowledge as an expatriate Belizean to Belize to further her quest for black identity, and to become an instrumental figure in the Belize Creole Council in Belize.

DYNAMIC BELIZEAN PROFESSORS: A WAKE UP CALL FOR REPARTIONS!
The call for reparations for the indigenous peoples of Belize has been led by two of Belize's most outstanding professors of the University of Belize, Mr. Marvin Mora and Mr. Caesar Ross. They are also part of the organizing team of the National Convention of the People of Belize, and has assisted in laying out an excellent framework on how Belize will join the international struggle for reparations that is an global movement initiated by University of the West Indies professor, Dr. Hillary Beckles, to demand justice and other forms of reparations from the global European colonizers, in particular, Britain, to acknowledge and compensate all indigenous peoples of the world through justifiable means that may bring closure and atonement to the descendants of these peoples who continued to be exploited, marginalized and disenfranchised by today's neoliberal capitalism and slavery. We here at Belizean Legends champions and honor the constructive work embarked on by these two legendary Belizeans. Respect brothers. We feel you!

The Reporter

Tourism CEO says investigation into BTB scandal underway
The Ministry of Tourism has launched an investigation into the alleged fraudulent credentials presented by former BTB Marketing Director Clive Meyers. This is according to Chief Executive Officer in Tracy Taegar Panton, the Ministry’s Chief Executive Officer. Panton said the incident was very unfortunate and the Ministry is conducting an investigation into the matter as there is information circulating, which suggests that there may have been other BTB staff members who were involved in the scandal. Several others have been placed on suspension in the wake of the investigation including Public Relations Manager Andrea Polanco. Reports reaching this media house indicate that Polanco has even tendered her resignation as of Friday.

COPS spread Christmas cheer
The Police Department’s Eastern Division held their second annual Commissioner of Police Offering Peace to Society (COPS) Christmas program at the BTL Park Friday night. Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster, deputy OC Easter Division said that the event is a way for the Police Department to reach out the community during the Christmas season and shed its image of being of being aggressive. Broaster said the participants in the event, which featured dances and drama, were all police officers who volunteered. Broaster said most of them were members of the Police Department’s Drama Club, which has been in existence since 1996. The feature drama of the night was a piece detailing the struggles of a police officer during the Christmas season who must sacrifice is time with his family and his safety for his duties.

Look out for the next edition of The Reporter Tuesday!
Readers and advertisers of The Reporter Newspaper are hereby advised that our next issue will be available on Tuesday, December 23, 2014. We urge everyone to kindly take note.

Troops dispatched to vigilante state in Mexico
More than 400 federal police officers and soldiers have been sent to a town in Mexico’s western Michoacan state. The deployment follows a shoot-out between two vigilante groups on Tuesday in which 11 people were killed. Ballistic tests showed all of those killed had fired their weapons in the two-hour gun battle in La Ruana. The two groups of vigilantes were set up to fight the local drug cartel, but have since become bitter rivals and have started fighting each other. Five members of a group led by Hipolito Mora and six followers of his rival, Luis Antonio Torres, were killed.

Belize advancing climate change policies in the region
Belize, under its role as pro-tem president of the Central American Commission on Environment and Development (CCAD), has made major strides in climate change, the environment and sustainable development over the last six months. Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development, and Protem President of CCAD for the last six months, Lisel Alamilla highlighted her main achievements at a CCAD ministerial meeting at the Central American Integration System (SICA) meeting in Placencia last week. “We brought together the climate change negotiators of Central America to forge a SICA Climate Change identity. This is a historic achievement for the SICA region and it led all the SICA coordination sessions at the recent global climate change conference, COP20, in Lima, Peru,” Alamilla said.

Patrick JonesPJ

Man shot and killed in San Ignacio town
A Sunday night shooting incident in San Ignacio town has left one man dead and police on the hunt for the killer. The name of the victim has not yet been confirmed, but reports are that the shooting happened around 10:30 pm at a house on 2nd Street in San Ignacio. When police arrived at the scene, they found the victim’s body on the ground.

Toledo West gets Christmas Cheer from area representative
Toledo West area representative Oscar Requena has been making the rounds in his constituency spreading the Christmas Cheer. Requena has donated bags of rice and beans to churches in his area for onward distribution to residents particularly the elderly in the form of Christmas meals. Each of the communities and villages in his constituency will receive assistance this Christmas, according to Requena, proving that even with a little “we could make great things happen if we come together as brothers and sisters.”

Blogs

Commotion On The Caribbean
We left our work week behind us and boarded Infinity for a sunset cruise. The sky was a bit lackluster Friday night but we all knew the right people had made it to the party and no matter what happened, we would have a fabulous time. Of course it was a memorable experience for everyone on board. Personally, it turned a not so good day into a happy ending and a reminder that it is easy to switch gears to a perfect day in paradise, by connecting with nature and good people. I got two great surprises on the boat that night. The first was a delicious fresh blended virgin piña colada and the second was the sky opening up and mother nature giving us a magical sunset. As for the Commotion On The Caribbean, the non virgin rum punch, coladas and some good music had people grooving on the back deck and after the sunset, on the bow :)

12 Things About The Place Belizeans Get Their Christmas Trees
Belize is a small country rich with many ecosystems. These ecosystems are allies in providing the country with many opportunities for more resources. Among them are savanna’s. These grasslands are found scattered near the coast from Northern to Southern Belize. There are also a few strands found decorating the middle part of the country (mile 25 – 30 on the Western highway). These are called the lowland savanna as opposed to another savanna type found as high as 300 feet above sea level. This type is called highland savanna. The following are facts (things) about savanna systems in Belize. 1. Savanna’s have sandy, acidic soils of poor fertility (sorry jack, your tomatoes won’t grow here!) 2. This ecosystem has no forest canopy just small clumps of trees such as palmetto, craboo, and caribbean pine trees (pinus caribea), to name a few.

Fifteen questions about living in Belize — with answers!
This list of questions was submitted to me by a website called http://www.expatfinder.com/ which is positioning itself as a go-to site for information on services and products that every would-be ex-pat needs to make the big move. The information is tailored to the specifics for scores of countries on topics like banking, health, shipping, real estate, education, and jobs. They may or may not use these answers. Which is fine. Their idea of compensation is a promise to maybe promote the link to my blog. I didn’t have the heart to tell the woman that I don’t make a living from my blog and so promoting it means little. Nor did I tell her that if you want good writers, pay them good money. Doing stuff for free for money-making internet enterprises is so 2009. But that’s OK. I enjoyed the challenge and coming up with honest answers was helpful for me too! Win-win. And if you like it, triple win!

On Ambergris Caye, life begins at the end of the pier
Here’s the thing: You don’t even have to do anything. Sure you could read a book or slather on some sunbathing oil or drop a fishing line over the edge — but those are all just distractions to me. Every dock that I encounter beckons me to take a walk to its very end and sit for a while. Some offer chairs. Some have built in benches and some simply offer the wooden deck. Each has its own appeal. The main thing is what you find at the end, and that is yourself. If you are willing to sit long enough.

Chicken Drop epiphany: So, this is what it is like to raise a daughter . . . . .
Take a cab home. I forgot to tell Caira to take a cab home. Oh, god, I hope she knows enough not to try to walk home from downtown San Pedro in the middle of the night. I’m on the couch. It is Thursday night — no, crap — it is after midnight, Friday morning already. Where could she be? Much earlier in the evening, Rose, Caira and I drove into town to do the one thing I have avoided successfully for 10 months: The World Famous Chicken Drop at the Wahoo Lounge. Avoided, yes, but just the same, it gnawed at my curiosity.

Snorkeling the Belize Barrier Reef
While known as the Belize Barrier Reef in Belize, it’s actually part of the Mesoamerican Reef System (the second largest in the world).  I’ve snorkeled this area many times over the last four years and this year I snorkeled it three times within two weeks.  I just can’t get enough and each time is completely different.  This year, I got up close and personal with both Green Sea Turtles and Loggerhead Turtles…to say that turtles are my favorite is an understatement…it was so hard to pick my best photos.

International Sourcesizz

Dear Santa, please don’t deliver exotic pets for Christmas!
What’s the worst Christmas gift you could give someone? It would have to be a non-human primate or a big cat. Images of people cuddling cute baby chimpanzees, slow lorises or tigers can lead to false perceptions that these animals make great pets. But buying these pets encourages the illegal pet trade. Chimpanzees in particular make terrible pets - they destroy everything and are often much stronger than humans. They belong in forests or other wilderness areas, with members of their own species. Yet, a dilemma faces scientists and science communicators who work with animals and conservation. In order to widely publicise issues related to conservation of wildlife, media editors or producers typically request images of the scientist (including me) or communicator interacting with animals. Without explanatory text, these images may lead to people wanting exotic pets because they give the false impression that they are “cute”. Without these images, an editor or producer may not run with the story, or a sponsor may lose interest in funding a project.

Videos

The Hidden Treasures of Belize, Welcome to the Cayo District, 4min.

Belize, 3.5min.

Belize, 5min.

Central America Belize and Guatemala, 9min.

Miss Belize Makes Semifinals at Miss Universe 1979, 15min. Highlights of Belize's participation at Miss Universe 1979 held in Perth, Western Australia, Australia. Miss Belize Sarita Diana Acosta made Belize's first (and so far only) placement at Miss Universe when she placed in the Top 12.

Belize,7 min. Quick fishing trip to Belize with Ted. What a fun!

Blue Moon Cabana and Baby Blue Cabana, Hopkins, Belize, 5min. The Cabanas are centrally located in one of the most popular areas of Hopkins Village and are within walking distance of grocery stores, restaurants/bars, shops, and other popular establishments.

Zip-line tour over Belizean jungle near Caves Branch River, 7min. The zipline portion from the Chukka Belize Cave Tubing & Zipline combo. Located on the banks of the Cave’s Branch River, Jaguar Paw is an awe-inspiring property located on 200 acres of rain forest!

Flying in Belize (Caye Caulker), 5min. Flights to and from Caye Caulker, Belize.

Belize Long Cut, 7min.